• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The worst case Lions team

G

g6mcg

What do you think is the worst team that could feasibly be picked for the Lions? (So you can't include players such as Parks, Di Rollover, Balshaw etc)

1. Sheridan (Limited scrummaging skill, inconsistent, and can't even be described as a great ball carrier)
2. I really don't know for this one, I think all the candidates are of roughyl equal skill (in different areas)
3. Phil Vickery [Unless on form] (More recently he's been a wheezing ant rather than a raging bull, however if he regains form I would not object too strongly)
4. & 5. I can't see anyone being picked outside of the Irish, and Welsh pairs, [possibly Hines] and would not object to any of these.
6. Jason White (Fortunately unlikely to be picked, but recently has been lethargic in his play)
7. Tom Rees or John Barclay (Both are very talented but would be eaten by the South frican back row, I would prefer Wallace)
8. Andy Powell (Undoubted skills with the ball in hand, but his work in the tight is poor, and has to be covered by Jones & Williams for Wales)
9. Danny Care (At the moment he is not ready, and his crabbing will hinder the team)
10. Danny Cipriani (Unless he proves himself in the 6 Nations as his kicking, and passing can be neutered by better teams)
11. Chris Paterson (We can't justify picking a player just for place kicking, though he is much underated)
12. Gordon D'Arcy (Has not performed well since 2006 for Ireland)
13. Ben Cairns (Having heard this suggested I want to stop it-there are far better alternatives)
14. Tommy Bowe (The worst of a good bunch)
15. Anyone other than Rob Kearney or Lee Byrne

I realise I've probably made some glaring omissions, but it is surprisingly hard.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
11. Chris Paterson (We can't justify picking a player just for place kicking, though he is much underated)[/b]

The 97 Lions did with Jenkins... Seemed to work then.

Tommy Bowe? He's far better than Sackey.
We could also do far worse than D'Arcy with the abundance-o-**** in the Scottish midfield.
At 4, it has to be Borthwick, and at 2 Matthew Rees, purely because SA will pick the lineout apart.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Feb 11 2009, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
11. Chris Paterson (We can't justify picking a player just for place kicking, though he is much underated)[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Yea seemed to do well out of position aswell! ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Feb 11 2009, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Tommy Bowe? He's far better than Sackey.
We could also do far worse than D'Arcy with the abundance-o-**** in the Scottish midfield.
At 4, it has to be Borthwick, and at 2 Matthew Rees, purely because SA will pick the lineout apart.[/b]

I'm not saying that D'Arcy is worse than Morrison, De Luca etc, but that I beleive he has a chance of being picked, whereas they don't.

I agree with Sackey and Bowe, forgot about Sackey.

I don;t think borthwick will be picked (and I pray he isn't)

Good shout for Matthew Rees, could be comedy of the year watching a lineout featuring Rees take on matfield and co.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Feb 11 2009, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE

[/b][/quote]

True, but in '97 we played Townsend, who couldn't kick, whereas now all the potential 10's are good place kickers (O'Gara, Jones[Apart from Sunday] etc)

O'Choka only seems to knock them over when momentum is with the team - The pressure gets to him and he can't hit a barn door.
Jones is passed it (IMO) and isn't a good choice for the tests - Maybe as an experienced head on tour
Hook is the best player but again inconsistant with the boot
Cipriani is over-rated and shouldn't go
Wilkinson will get murdered if seleced. And hasn't been much cop with the boot since 2002 anyway.

Hook with Patterson on the wing. Can't think of any other standout wingers except Williams anyway.

*Awaits abuse for daring to say anything less then complimentary about any Irish player*

Disagree with the Jones comment. He's been consistent for Wales, despite being unremarkable, but he does his job well (discounting the howler last week).
As for Hook, he's adopted Henson's lazy-arse syndrome. His penalty kicks at goal are inconsistent (despite being sublime against Leicester), his kicks to touch are appalling (gaining 5 metres per kick, recently) and he's very lethargic in his running, even though he has the ability to cut a team in half.

15. Southewell
14. Sackey
13. Shanklin
12. De Luca
11. Horgan
10. Hook
9. Ellis

1. Sheridan
2. Rees
3. Pass
4. Borthwick
5. Pass
6. Haskell
7. Pass
8. Easter

Was that the game where he single-handedly destroyed France (while juggling beer cans with his ears)?

^ You're not allowed to 'pass' you nubcake.

answering my own question then, he hasn't, 3 appearances for England and they've all come as sub. Hardly the credentials for a Lions test starter.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Feb 11 2009, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
15. Southewell
14. Sackey
13. Shanklin
12. De Luca
11. Horgan
10. Hook
9. Ellis

1. Sheridan
2. Rees
3. Pass
4. Borthwick
5. Pass
6. Haskell
7. Pass
8. Easter[/b]

Other than Shanklin its hard to disagree.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Feb 11 2009, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
15. Southewell
14. Sackey
13. Shanklin
12. De Luca
11. Horgan
10. Hook
9. Ellis

1. Sheridan
2. Rees
3. Pass
4. Borthwick
5. Pass
6. Haskell
7. Pass
8. Easter[/b]

you could throw Worsley in at openside, Vickery at prop, take the Sale approach and stick someone like White in the second row, who could be brought because he covers more positions so it's a possibility as is the 2 Wasps lads making the pack.

Of players who either hold starting berths or have done recently:

1. Alan Dickinson
2. Matthew Rees
3. Matt Stevens
4. Simon Shaw
5. Steve Borthwick
6. Joe Worsley
7. Lewis Moody
8. Ally Hogg
9. Danny Care
10. Danny Cipriani
11. Ugo Monye
12. James Hook
13. Jamie Noon
14. Simon Webster
15. Geordan Murphy

All that lot are either not up to it, overrated, too inexperienced, or in the case of the back row, the worst out of a solid bunch.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 11 2009, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
answering my own question then, he hasn't, 3 appearances for England and they've all come as sub. Hardly the credentials for a Lions test starter.[/b]

Alright smartarse, who else is there then?

And coming on as a sub still earns a test cap BTW! ;)

Latest posts