The Rugby Championship 2012 XV

madflyhalf

Bench Player
Country Flag
Italy
Club or Nation
Reds
Ok.
Probably the matter is about "which All Blacks player will you left out of the ideal 22, and which other player you would stick in" anyway let's call it The Rugby Championship XV + 7 reserves

I think I'd go with

1 - Rodrigo Roncero - a thorn on the side of every tighthead in front of him. Farewell RoRo, you'll be sorely missed
2 - Eusebio Guinazu - maybe just because Hore and Mealamu equally split their time on the field, and the latter didn't excited me in the latter stages of the tournament
3 - Owen Franks - he is now among the first 3 TH props in world rugby, amazing growth in recent years
4 - Luke Romano - the new Brad Thorn
5 - Nathan Sharpe - I dare to say thanks to all those injuries, or we'd never seen his swansong! Amazing performances at his age, like the good wine!
6 - Michael Hooper - he's an openside, but he must be there. I think Wallabies will have some head scratching when Poey will return
7 - Sir
8 - Kieran Read - any questions about these 2?
9 - Aaron Smith - just only half bad game (vs. Argentina @ home in terrible conditions), probably due to his youth
10 - Dan Jesus Christ Carter - same about Sir and KR
11 - Bryan Habana - back on top form, he scored tries from nothing when nobody (Morné & Kirchner) was giving him a ball; things changed among the playmakers and he scored more
12 - Pat McCabe - ok I'm a bit biased, but when I had seen with my eyes him debuting in Florence, I've never thought that when out, he would be missed like air from the Wallabies. [ UNBIAS MOD=ON ]Ma'a Nonu[/ UNBIAS ]
13 - The Snake - I found myself staring :huh: at his tackles and runs in the game against South Africa
14 - Cory Jane
15 - would be easy to slot in Israel Dagg, but I want to not assign this jersey for mourning reason. There's a guy, named in his team's each game 22, who collected just 56 minutes of rugby in this Rugby Championship. If I were the All Blacks management last week, I'd have gone to him bringing n. 22 "Come on kiddo, forget your 'mates' let's play some footie with us"

16 Strauss, 17 Ben Franks, 18 Eben Etzebeth, 19 Lobbe, 20 Louw, 21 Pienaar or Phipps, 22 Ashley-Cooper

Player of the tournament: already wont with McCaw's performances, I'd go with Read.

With a honourary mention.

This guy:
coneheads23mz.jpg

Though some big blinders about the game rule, his swansong this year must be an example for the forthcoming youth in Wallaby jersey (Gill, Schatz, Tapuai etc...)!
This man hasn't got the best enlighted career, i.e. he lived some of the darkest moment of Australian rugby, both international and super rugby: the 2003 final, the Reds and Western Force most difficult years, he never won a Bledisloe or a World Cup, neither had the privilege to play the B&I Lions (due to coincidence of course and John Eales before him).
He looks like Karl Malone or John Stockton in the NBA, always up to the taks, always battling, to the closest point but in the end, no cigar!

But I think he can be called a winner anyway! I think he's gonna play again in the EOYT, but sincerely I'd like to see him against the Lions in 2013, he probably deserves it, just only for a minute. Only if they're going to win it! :D

And here the answer to the question we all asked at some point: yes, once, maybe just for a while, he had hairs!

Nathan-Sharpe-Queensland-1999_2798615.jpg

15 Dagg
14 Habana
13 Smith
12 no opinion
11 no opinion
10 Carter
9 Smith
8 Read
7 McCaw
6 n/o
5 n/o
4 n/o
3 Du Plessis
2 Strauss
1 Roncero

1.Roncero
2.Strauss(No stand outs)
3.O Franks
4.Romano
5.Albacete (Sort of like a grunt version of Matfield)
6.Hooper/JMF Lobbe (Tough one)
7.Sir Richie of the offside
8.Read
9.Smith
10.Carter
11.Ioane
12.SBW (Just his 2 performances were better than anyone else's throughout the entire tournament, bar Nonu in Argentina)
13.Smith
14.Habana
15.Dagg

Last edited:
looking at the table, it's been a pretty dominating campaign from the All Blacks, and it's been a real team performance as well I think emphasized by the defense. Only letting in 66 points in 6 games, hard for me to look outside the AB squad for a comp 15

Habanna was great, but prob the only reason I'd select him over Gear or Savea is because he obviously had more gametime. Jane being an automatic selection for the 14 spot.

Same for hooker, Hore being the best of NZ's two hookers but they very much shared the duties compared to other teams which have a clear #1 choice.

Prob room to select a Lock outside the AB squad for the same reason, AB's kinda rotated their locks a bit. Same whitelock had a quiet start while I think he was carrying a flu bug. Sharpe and Eben Etzebeth were very good. I think Romano was a standout, pretty damn impressive how he's come on. Retalick was maybe unlucky not to get more gametime, looked every bit a great test lock when he was on. His tackle rate per time on the park I think is fricken amazing for a lock - he clocks up more tackles than most loose forwards.

Maybe look at options at 12, nonu had a slow start but did shine when he needed to.

Other than that I'd go for first choice AB's in every position :)