• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Official TRF International Shield

South Africa now the holders of the TRF International Shield until the Rugby World Cup!

So South Africa started with the shield 4 yrs ago and they have got it back before the World Cup...

South Africa now the holders of the TRF International Shield until the Rugby World Cup!

So South Africa started with the shield 4 yrs ago and they have got it back before the World Cup...

Oh well, Wales'll take it straight off 'em;)

Wee question, have Scotland ever held the trophy?

I doubt it, seeing as the SH teams tend to hog it, so a better question, which NH teams have held it? I know England had it when they beat the Aussies...

TRF shield just goes to show how dominant the southern hemisphere nations are in rugby. Wales from my count are at about 0-9. England must be the only NH nation to hold the shield and they couldn't defend it once. Just noticed France had it once.

Last edited:
Or maybe because when a SH/NH team wins it they take it back to the Tri/Six Nations and it's only played amongst their NH/SH Nations... so more chance of them winning it frequently.

Good to have it back where it belongs. Ireland will be the next team to attempt to win it, and they get three chances.

Or maybe because when a SH/NH team wins it they take it back to the Tri/Six Nations and it's only played amongst their NH/SH Nations... so more chance of them winning it frequently.

Wales have had 9 chances, how many more do you need? Honestly there's opportunities every year basically. Not like the Ranfurly Shield where a team like BOP seem to miss out every year lol.

I read somewhere here that the TRF shield starts each four year cycle at the World Cup, with the champions holding the trophy.

What happens if the holder comes into pool play and loses it to another team in their pool who does not advance to the playoffs. e.g. lets imagine France comes into Pool A holding the shield, and they beat New Zealand (instead of losing as they did) and then lose to Tonga in the last match.

Tonga would then take the shield wouldn't they, but would still not get out of the Pool. Would Tonga keep the shield?

I read somewhere here that the TRF shield starts each four year cycle at the World Cup, with the champions holding the trophy.

What happens if the holder comes into pool play and loses it to another team in their pool who does not advance to the playoffs. e.g. lets imagine France comes into Pool A holding the shield, and they beat New Zealand (instead of losing as they did) and then lose to Tonga in the last match.

Tonga would then take the shield wouldn't they, but would still not get out of the Pool. Would Tonga keep the shield?

Holy heck, good question. I guess that team would keep the shield. Luckily that isn't the case.

Whoever wins the WC becomes the Shield Holder.

Whoever had the shield prior to the WC commencing was the final holder. The shield does not get transferred between teams during the RWC.

What would happen if New Zealand/Australia were to lose to someone like Munster? I presume games vs clubs don't count?

Right before the SH Championships seems to be a good time to revive discussion. All-Blacks have the Shield. Who's gonna claim it?

Yep, good time indeed.

A preview and re-launch will be done sometime before the first NZ Rugby Championship Game.

So is it just me that thinks that by not even mentioning this deserving ***le during the winter tours, not even by an Irish TRF member (and there's a shitload of them) they knew all along their team were undeserving of the ***le?

Hi All

I know you have this running already but I thought it might be worth mentioning the Raeburn Shield which is effectively the same but traces right back to the very first international game of rugby between Scotland and England (Scotland won and it was played at Raeburn Place hence the shield name)

There is a website for it www.raeburnshield.com and it is on Pick&go the fantastic rugby stats website.

From 2007 onwards the results are the same as the shield you have been talking about as inevitably whoever wins the world cup has always taken the Raeburn Shield at the same time.

Always keen for followers on the twitter @raeburnshield

Just thought I would show this to others who clearly support this kind of concept. It hopefully has a better chance of wider acceptance if it's name ties into history rather than a brand as well and it would be nice if one day the IRB recognise it!

... and England become the latest holder of the TRF Shield ... congrats ... looks like it will be staying in the NH for a while :D

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 466"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Game
[/TD]
[TD]Score
[/TD]
[TD]Competition
[/TD]
[TD]Date
[/TD]
[TD]Notes
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]New Zealand vs. France
[/TD]
[TD]8-7
[/TD]
[TD]RWC Final (Aukland)
[/TD]
[TD]23rd​ October 2011
[/TD]
[TD]New Zealand become TRF Shield holders.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]New Zealand vs. Ireland
[/TD]
[TD]42-10
[/TD]
[TD]Test Match (Aukland)
[/TD]
[TD]9th​ June 2012
[/TD]
[TD]