• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The new Super 14season, what are the expectations

The Blues have the most awesome rugby kit ever, in the existence of ruby kits, it's a pity I hate the Blues, or I might have to buy one :p

Who says Vito even has potential? He played sevens well, so do plenty of other guys, and they do crap all in XVs. He didn't exactly play well for Wellington, couldn't even secure a starting jersey. I don't think he's that great.

I think Vito did a bit more than play sevens 'well'. He's caught the eye a lot more than Cory Jane did, but look where Cory Jane is now.

He was average at best for Wellington, but that doesn't mean to say that he can't adapt to the 15 man game and become a great player. He may also just end up being a huge flop.

He is very overrated and bigged up by the media far too much, however. That doesn't mean that he doesn't have potential. Don't write the guy off before he's had time to adapt.

I'm not writing him off, I'm just saying, good sevens players aren't always good XV players. Yes, Vito was a good sevens player, but in reality, there's no way to tell whether he will succeed at XVs. All players have potential.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Jan 9 2009, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The Waratahs have lost Vickerman and Elsom and that'll make a huge difference. They'll also be without Dunning for the season, and Kepu for most of the year.

I see the Force continue on their trend of starting the season strongly and then finishing outside the top 7.

I'd like to see the Reds improve again but they'll be without Horwill for a while, and they've lost Moore to the Brumbies. Expect Hugh McMeniman to get injured within the first few weeks.

Although I'm biased I'm predicting the Brumbies to finish the best out of the 4 Australian teams, and hopefully not finish 5th or 6th again. Getting Stephen Moore was a huge sclap, and the promotion of Kimlin and Alexander to the starting XV should improve the pack. And if Mortlock and Rathbone stay fit they'll have a pretty strong backline. Andy Friend and Owen Finegan have already made a big difference with the team, and hopefully they can elevate the Brumbies back to the level Canberrans expect from them.[/b]

Stephen Moore consistently played crap for the Reds over the years, yet shone in the national jumper.

For the Reds a win would be good.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Jan 17 2009, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm not writing him off, I'm just saying, good sevens players aren't always good XV players. Yes, Vito was a good sevens player, but in reality, there's no way to tell whether he will succeed at XVs. All players have potential.[/b]

Well I guess we're both pretty much saying the both thing. Fair play.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Jan 17 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Jan 9 2009, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Waratahs have lost Vickerman and Elsom and that'll make a huge difference. They'll also be without Dunning for the season, and Kepu for most of the year.

I see the Force continue on their trend of starting the season strongly and then finishing outside the top 7.

I'd like to see the Reds improve again but they'll be without Horwill for a while, and they've lost Moore to the Brumbies. Expect Hugh McMeniman to get injured within the first few weeks.

Although I'm biased I'm predicting the Brumbies to finish the best out of the 4 Australian teams, and hopefully not finish 5th or 6th again. Getting Stephen Moore was a huge sclap, and the promotion of Kimlin and Alexander to the starting XV should improve the pack. And if Mortlock and Rathbone stay fit they'll have a pretty strong backline. Andy Friend and Owen Finegan have already made a big difference with the team, and hopefully they can elevate the Brumbies back to the level Canberrans expect from them.[/b]

Stephen Moore consistently played crap for the Reds over the years, yet shone in the national jumper.
[/b][/quote]

Maybe it's because he was playing for a crap team?

Chris Latham was also pretty crap in his last few years at the Reds. Remember when people were pushing for Peter Hewat for the Australian jersey?

Glad that didn't happen.

The reds aren't a crap team, when they got their **** together they managed to pull out some brilliant performances, yet they could never hang onto a lead due to their poor defence. I think they might do well, they definitely have a great deal of individual talent, they just have to be cohesive and defend as well as they can attack. They will need Horwill back though.

For the Waratahs, who knows. Nasiganiyavi has been injured I think but then again I don't think he would have made the starting XV anyway, but who knows. The reason why the Waratahs began to perform last season was somewhat due to them trying new things. They have a gap to fill and it's possible that one or two of their new signings (except Fava) could be the real deal. They still have to sort out fly-half though, Beale will have to start living up to his hype.

My expectations are for the Wellington Hurricanes to make the Semis but than probably get toppled by those damn Crusaders yet again. I don't want it to happen but I'm just being realistic because they've managed to do it in both Super14 and Air New Zealand Cup last season :angry:

I'm looking out for new players to make a good impact like Victor Vito, Api Naikatini and Fa'afili Levave. If the Hurricanes make it to the Quarters I'd be happy as long as they play good enough to win and hopefully they don't get ripped off a game this season.

Like maybe... against the Sharks? :D

Predictions Overall:
1 Sharks
2 Crusaders
3 Stormers
4 Hurricanes
5 Chiefs
6 Brumbies
7 Blues
8 Reds
9 Bulls
10 Western Force
11 Highlanders
12 Waratahs
13 Cheetahs
14 Lions

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maccaweeny @ Jan 18 2009, 06:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The reds aren't a crap team, when they got their **** together they managed to pull out some brilliant performances, yet they could never hang onto a lead due to their poor defence. I think they might do well, they definitely have a great deal of individual talent, they just have to be cohesive and defend as well as they can attack. They will need Horwill back though.

For the Waratahs, who knows. Nasiganiyavi has been injured I think but then again I don't think he would have made the starting XV anyway, but who knows. The reason why the Waratahs began to perform last season was somewhat due to them trying new things. They have a gap to fill and it's possible that one or two of their new signings (except Fava) could be the real deal. They still have to sort out fly-half though, Beale will have to start living up to his hype.[/b]

Phil Mooney has made a big difference.

But, up until around midway of last year they were definitely a crap team. Despite the fact that they've had a pretty good tight 5 for many years now. They've displayed the best consistent scrum out of all the Australian teams and have always had a reliable lineout.

But their backline just doesn't fire, despite having some good individual talent... and yes, their defence is woeful. Especially with Turinui in there.

After watching the Sydney club competition last year I don't see what they hype was all about with Nasiganiyavi.

When Turinui played against the Chiefs last year he was the best Reds player on the field.

Latest posts