• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Fundemental Flaws of 08 and what REALLY needs changing

I like the dropgoal system in '08, it's a smart way to do it. Sure you've got to get into the rhythm of the player that's kicking, but it's useful for tournaments, knowing that you can use it if pushed.

I also think you should be able to set up defaultXV (your fastest/heaviest possible line-up, or give center units of players (front row, back row, half backs) certain AI controls for when you're not controlling them, ie; - You could set up your back row to fall behind the backline when you get into the 22 from a line-out, or set your 7 to be more of a fetcher, doing a lot of work off the ball.

It'd be good to have blood substitutions.

Let us decide where we want to play players, add an extra skill called "diversity"/"utility player" or something which means you can play them out of position and they will play well. IE; James Hook doesn't play FB on rugby 08, but with this option you could play him at 15 with no issues, if he had this skill.

A button in the scum to disengage your flankers.

Opponents use different game plan, not just the same Ai over and over again.

More realistic try scoringand tackling animations, there are only like 2 that don't look like the player is defying gravity.

4/5 year season modes (Super 14/15, GP, ML, Top 14 etc.)

Able to change international squads when player becomes injured. I've had to play the likes of Joe Worsley at 8 and Lewis Moody at center because of injuries in the first 2 matches of a tournament.

Oh yeah, and actually make another game and put some effort into it, there are so many examples of half-assery in R08, for instance, Allastair Strockosh (sp?) he is called Stephenson...it looks like someone looked at the name and went, "Am I f*** spelling that" and went for an easier option.

Yeah i agree, attention to detail makes for better realism. Blood substitutions is a good call, it's like sin-bin but recoded with new animations. With other games you can have freestyle moves too.. this would be awesome in ea rugby if you could make a certain player use an individual move with the right analog stick.. like a spin-move, set-up a rolling maul etc.

Rugby Challenge has try-scoring animations which are much better than EA Rugby. It doesn't matter which game you play, it can be the final of the RWC and the players still celebrate like they at a training match.

I am working on some mods just to liven up the game, which will include a beach rugby mod (without the beach background, unless i can figure it out) where the boots will be feet (not sure what the feet look like with a transparent boot graphic) and if the roster trick works for making invisible players, you could have an epic beach rugby 7's/10's mod.

Mix Tekken and Mortal Kombat into it so that when one of those "fights" starts you can beat the hell out of your opponent and FINISH HIM.

Also my game seems to of glitched and Injury's never happen on the field, but after the game I get Digby Ioane will be out for 1 week with a broken leg or something like that even though I have injures turned up to the max.

This might be a n00b question, but how do you see what injury the player has, is this only in older versions of the game? I use the PS2 version.

Speaking of "signature" moves, another good one with be the scoop pass from the ground.

Other ideas for other skills that could be added;

Dummy half - Ideal for the likes of Shane Williams who often drifts in off the wing to act as a scrum half, a lot player do it, it'd be a interesting thing to see some players do it and others not, also for those who can actually gain ground from running the ball from the base of the ruck.

"I'VE GOT 'TIL 5 REF" (wrestling joke) - Players who are adept at...bending the rules; slowing down ball, "questionable" tackles, prone to "lashing out" etc. For the likes of Richie McCaw (excusing the latter one obviously) and Shaulk Burger.

Fill in forward/back - The likes of Matt Banahan who could be used at lock or Jamie Heaslip (I think) who's played 12 for Munster.

Drop back - Players who don't (or don't always) play Fullback who drop back in anticipation for a kick, plenty players do it Sergio Parrise and Adam Powell, it's a big part of there game.

------

Also, the positions should be altered, new ones I'd include would be

Individual Tighthead and Loosehead, the players named simply "Props" would cover both sides of the scrum.
Utility Forward - Covers Second Row and backrow positions (Michael Owen, Martin Corry)
Back Row - Covers 6,7,8.
Individual Inside and Outside Center, "Center" covers both.
Utility back - Plays all outfield positions.

-------

Also in the season you should have the oppertunity to sell players who are out of contract and receive/make offers from other clubs, also have certain players leave if you don't play them enough/out of position or they aren't playing well.
Other kind of special things should crop up, rugby league players switching codes (fictional maybe, maybe some cross promotion could be done) and players getting called up for international duty, so you have to have a solid team outwith your regular 22.

The computer's defence is terrible its way too easy to get the edge and have a breakaway

I'd really like to see the motivation bar just disappear altogether. It doesn't seem to do a lot, and surely doesn't work. Motivation always goes up when you tackle well, but never goes up when attacking. Crazy thing.

Also, line outs need some sort of overhaul. It's near impossible to get a ball to the middle man, because you can catch every throw with a well-timed front jump. Throwing to the back is kinda redundant too, if the guy does catch his own throw, he'll never get very far at all.

Also question: is stamina related to age? It seems to be. It's also a slightly redundant feature too, as there's no fatigue like in FIFA, in the career mode.

momentum, not motivation. and i think there is fatuige, ya see it when ya make a sub

Edit: on the lineout, all that needs doing is the removal of that stupid twitch...and maybe add the possabilty of short lineouts.also i likee the throw to the backs, always good in multiplayer

JLR has short lineouts and more options at set-piece. Everything else is ok, it just needs better AI, some new animations (or scrap them totally) so you can just have more detail to the game. Also, more animations for try scoring.

The kicker should be specified before each goal/touch kick.
And we should be able to bring back a subsituted player if the sub prop or hooker is injured, or uncontested scrums?

I get kicked out of the game if I score a try and have a player injured!
Must be a programming errror.

Also, if I have a penalty/knock on advantage, and I kick te ball out on the full, I lose the advantage and its a lineout oponents ball.

its so stupid how all your players follow you, but i suppose it would be quite difficult to make them more realistic

the quick lineout is completely useless, by the time you pass it to someone you get completely nailed.

i dont understand the kicking. Why does it take longer for a player to boot the ball further ??? there should also be some kind of chip added to the kicks.

The World League mode should be changed. make it something more like manager mode in the EA fifa games.

Custom set plays/back line moves. The set plays at the moment are very predictable. They should have some way of setting up your own moves with different running lines, speed of running, options.

and most of all , bring it out on next gen !!!!! with online !!!!!! and updates/downloads!!!!!!!

even if they brought it out in next gen, i doubt they would put updates out cause EA are the lazy its not funny

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mangoman100 @ Apr 24 2009, 04:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
even if they brought it out in next gen, i doubt they would put updates out cause EA are the lazy its not funny[/b]
They're not lazy when it comes to FIFA or Madden. Or even Golf! :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Celestial_Panda @ Apr 24 2009, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mangoman100 @ Apr 24 2009, 04:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
even if they brought it out in next gen, i doubt they would put updates out cause EA are the lazy its not funny[/b]
They're not lazy when it comes to FIFA or Madden. Or even Golf! :(
[/b][/quote]

What i dont get is , cant the take the madden engine , modify it and just do a updated release every year? I know it costs to do that but wouldn't

they just have to have a initial capital injection and then has different versions come out each year off the same engine justify the costs of doing so.

I mean have you seen the new madden engine those graphics will keep me satisfied for the next 4 to 6 years easily.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alexstewart @ Apr 22 2009, 05:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The World League mode should be changed. make it something more like manager mode in the EA fifa games.

Custom set plays/back line moves. The set plays at the moment are very predictable. They should have some way of setting up your own moves with different running lines, speed of running, options.[/b]

these are two really good points that would make the game in general much better, if not actual game play.

the way player trading happens in the world league is way too unrealistic. it really annoys me that you can only pick players from the list they give you. i think it would be cool if they added player negotiations and contracts, the better the player is the more money they ask for per season and the better you team has to be to obtain them.

custom back line moves and tactics are probably really hard if not impossible to do realistically, especially the way that defence reacts to them, but would add another interesting aspect to the game.

Latest posts