• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tasman & Northland out of Anz Cup 2009

J

jawmalawm24

I for one think that this is straight b******* I can understand Tasman opting out because of financial troubles but why take out a region like Northland who have contributed heaps towards Nz Rugby. I'd like to know what they based it on because if it was for the better of Rugby they'd keep Northland in but by the looks of it it has to be a business decision made by the Nzrfu.

I don't know how this is gonna go down but Manawatu haven't been in the comp long and with the Wellington region having 3 teams to choose players from maybe they should of been excused. I'm not saying they're useless or anything as they've shown in the 1st round that they can compete with the big boys it's just that Northland have a long history with 1st division Npc/AnzCup and they shouldn't be chucked out of a competition with no good reason.

How say you Rugby fans?

I for one think that this is straight b******* I can understand Tasman opting out because of financial troubles but why take out a region like Northland who have contributed heaps towards Nz Rugby. I'd like to know what they based it on because if it was for the better of Rugby they'd keep Northland in but by the looks of it it has to be a business decision made by the Nzrfu.

I don't know how this is gonna go down but Manawatu haven't been in the comp long and with the Wellington region having 3 teams to choose players from maybe they should of been excused. I'm not saying they're useless or anything as they've shown in the 1st round that they can compete with the big boys it's just that Northland have a long history with 1st division Npc/AnzCup and they shouldn't be chucked out of a competition with no good reason.

How say you Rugby fans?

[/b]

making money often defies logic

make no mistake, it's the reason AFL has turned **** over here, it's not about tradition or the game or whatever it's business and it's about whatever will bring in the most bacon for the organisation that runs the comp.

So with Tasman out does this just mean Canterbury will be super strong next season?

[/b]

Yeah sadly thats true with professionalism... especially in NZ because we're damn poor!

But didn't the NZRU say they thought of other factors like development etc? thats bullshit i reckon. Like Sonny Bill they should be straight and say "they aint making enough green"

Both tasman and Northland have had great starts to their season, that and knowing that they're being kicked out is like being kicked in your nads!

I wonder what would happen if either Tasman or Northland won the comp this season imagine that :huh: . It's highly unlikely but not impossible the way the Anz Cups started with all the upsets.

Pretty sad really kicking out 2 teams just because of money if I knew I was getting kicked out of something I wouldn't even bother turning up. Whats the use playing your heart out all season knowing no matter what you do your teams gone the next season anyway.

They should've kicked the bottom 2 teams out at the end of the season, it would have made a greater comp if every team was playing like it was their last i reckon.

They should've kicked the bottom 2 teams out at the end of the season, it would have made a greater comp if every team was playing like it was their last i reckon. [/b]

haha waikato would be gone then... the way they are playing

stupid mooloos this year

The whole Tasman setup was a cock-up from wo to go. For those who aren't familar with the Tasman area its made up of two provinces, Nelson and Marlborough, which are geographically separated by two hills, the Whangamoa and the Rai. Its a 1½ hour drive from Nelson to Blenheim (2 hours in a bus).

So imagine you are planning to build/upgrade an 18,000 seat Stadium for the Makos. The population of Nelson is about 75,000, and Blenheim is about 26,000.

Where are you going to build it?

Its a no-brainer, right. Nelson... right..... err NO.

The idiots built it in Blenheim, 120 km away from where three-quarters of the supporters live. :rahh:

Also, while a quite a number of Blenheim owned businesses have branches in Nelson, the reverse is not the case, so many Nelson businesses do not advertise at the Mako's ground simply because none of the customer base lives there.

It was a marketing cock-up of enormous magnitude. Had they upgraded Trafalgar Park, it might be a different story.

Tasman will not survive this, and I predict that next year, it will break up back into Nelson Bays and Marlborough again.

It is a pity that $2.5 million went in to developing a stadium that is now going to be only hosting Heartland rugby along with maybe one Crusaders game a year.

tasman understandable since there were reports the nzrfu is keeping them afloat this year. northland seemed to be heading on the right track but perhaps the future just wasn't as good compared to the other provinces maybe. I think tasman will collapse and they will go back to nelson bays and marlborough. tasman was also being abused to get into the crusaders and around the 1 or 2 ab transfers a season. I think most of their big name signings barely even played a game for them anyway as they simply either got loaned to canterbury or transfered the next season. at least the nzrfu provided a glimmer of hope with the return of promotion/regulation match, while difficult to win for the heartland teams does give them a chance to play with the big boys.

The reason Northland are in trouble is because of the way the union is run. When Steve Tew was interviewed in the Northern Advocate newspaper he stated that Northland scored 8.1 out of a possible 45 when it came to finance, governance and administration issues. This could well be an indicator of why Northland are in the running for the chop (Bay of Plenty can't be too far behind either given they are in a perilous financial state).

http://www.northernadvocate.co.nz/localspo...condsubsection=

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InsaneAsylum @ Aug 12 2008, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Aug 12 2008, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How say you Rugby fans?[/b]

make no mistake, it's the reason AFL has turned **** over here, it's not about tradition or the game or whatever it's business and it's about whatever will bring in the most bacon for the organisation that runs the comp.
[/b][/quote]

To say that the AFL has turned to **** is a tad hyperbole but to say that they have prostitute themselves to whoever willing to hand over the money is true.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (smartcooky @ Aug 13 2008, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The whole Tasman setup was a cock-up from wo to go. For those who aren't familar with the Tasman area its made up of two provinces, Nelson and Marlborough, which are geographically separated by two hills, the Whangamoa and the Rai. Its a 1½ hour drive from Nelson to Blenheim (2 hours in a bus).

So imagine you are planning to build/upgrade an 18,000 seat Stadium for the Makos. The population of Nelson is about 75,000, and Blenheim is about 26,000.

Where are you going to build it?

Its a no-brainer, right. Nelson... right..... err NO.

The idiots built it in Blenheim, 120 km away from where three-quarters of the supporters live. :rahh:

Also, while a quite a number of Blenheim owned businesses have branches in Nelson, the reverse is not the case, so many Nelson businesses do not advertise at the Mako's ground simply because none of the customer base lives there.

It was a marketing cock-up of enormous magnitude. Had they upgraded Trafalgar Park, it might be a different story.

Tasman will not survive this, and I predict that next year, it will break up back into Nelson Bays and Marlborough again.[/b]

Well if thats the case it might be putting down the dog that will die soon anyway.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (teamplayer @ Aug 31 2008, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The reason Northland are in trouble is because of the way the union is run. When Steve Tew was interviewed in the Northern Advocate newspaper he stated that Northland scored 8.1 out of a possible 45 when it came to finance, governance and administration issues. This could well be an indicator of why Northland are in the running for the chop (Bay of Plenty can't be too far behind either given they are in a perilous financial state).

http://www.northernadvocate.co.nz/localspo...condsubsection=[/b]

That interview was interesting these relegations by what he said aren't set in stone.

Therefor if these two unions come up with something (i dont know what) they could still save their arse.

both unions were saved...

Tasman made the 1/4's & northland finnished highest of the Blues franchise teams... shows how stupid the NZRFU are...