• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby : Play-off Discussion

If the Lions don't go out in the quarters
You a cricket bloke, ain't you?

For the top kiwi sides, playing them is like playing their own second fifteens.
People said the same thing last season before the Saders and Highlanders games.
Long story short, tons of new zealanders ended up visiting Kruger National park as they suddenly had a lot of free time in their hands due to their season being unexpectedly cut short.

The conference system helps New Zealand teams more than anyone... they get 25 free points a year playing Aus teams.

This isn't true, half of Saffers play the Aussies and the Aussies play each other twice!!
So on average saffas get 12.5 free points a year and Aussies have to play New Zealand every year. Tell me how what I said isn't true?

So on average saffas get 12.5 free points a year and Aussies have to play New Zealand every year. Tell me how what I said isn't true?
Aussies get to play each other twice, thus getting more easy games. Kiwi teams have to play each other twice, thus getting more hard games.
The easiest draw is for the half of the Saffas who get to play all the Aussie teams AND don't have to play any NZ teams. They get all the easiest games and miss out on all the hardest games.

With all due respect, your argument is a moot point and to keep on hammering on it, won't change anything now for this tournament. When the fixtures was done for 2017, nobody knew which team would perform and who wouldn't. Hell, many of us thought that the Cheetahs would be the SA team to beat based on their unbeaten run in last year's Currie Cup, the maybe the Bulls and Stormers and the Lions being the top SA teams.

I agree with you with regards to playoffs matches and regular season matches. And here is the thing, in Playoffs, teams revert back to a more conservative approach, to limit their own mistakes and to keep pressure on the opposition. And again here, I think both the Lions and the Stormers will have an advantage. Both teams have strong packs that can outmuscle their opposition, and if they need to, use the first phases as an attacking weapon.
Ok, I will stop making the point..... Now, someone please justify the crusaders taking on the highlanders in their first round match...... :eek:

Aussies get to play each other twice, thus getting more easy games. Kiwi teams have to play each other twice, thus getting more hard games.
The easiest draw is for the half of the Saffas who get to play all the Aussie teams AND don't have to play any NZ teams. They get all the easiest games and miss out on all the hardest games.
Needs revamping. I'm not allowed to discuss anymore......

Yea I think anyone who actually follows super rugby knows that the Lions are a force to be reckoned with... especially at home. Imo they'll be our toughest game in the playoffs (assuming we go all the way).
I honestly believe whoever wins the Lions vs Canes semi will win the whole thing.
What about the brumbies ?

Acid Man

You a cricket bloke, ain't you?

People said the same thing last season before the Saders and Highlanders games.
Long story short, tons of new zealanders ended up visiting Kruger National park as they suddenly had a lot of free time in their hands due to their season being unexpectedly cut short.
Then they played the canes in NZ and got snotted.

Ah, But you aren't pointing to the notion of the Saffas teams all have to play each other too. And depending on the conference, sometimes they play their rivals in the same conference twice. These Saffa games are at most times some of the hardest games they'll have and are usually very tense, tough affairs, where more often than not, there are injuries, and big hits.

Then they played the canes in NZ and got snotted.
Which begs the question, how can a second tier team as the lions (his claim) manage to steal games against nz teams, home or away.

It s quite simple really, either the lions are a second tier team or they are at par with nz teams and playing at home gives them that extra inch they need to win. You cant have it both ways.

Off topic: what would you guys say about having the ground for then final fixed in advance, kinda like the champions league. Assume time zones somehow are reasonable for all parties?

Which begs the question, how can a second tier team as the lions (his claim) manage to steal games against nz teams, home or away.

It s quite simple really, either the lions are a second tier team or they are at par with nz teams and playing at home gives them that extra inch they need to win. You cant have it both ways.

Off topic: what would you guys say about having the ground for then final fixed in advance, kinda like the champions league. Assume time zones somehow are reasonable for all parties?

Off the cuff, I have my reservations. I mean, I can just hear the outcries from fans of the top team when they don't get the final. Travel will be an issue as well. The Pound and Euro is not just stronger but the infrastructure is better and the distances incomparably smaller. Unless we are going to not cater to the fans and go to places with more money (London, Tokyo, NY ?) but that feels a little anticlimactic but it might just be me.

It just about works in the Pro12 as distances aren't so bad. But what if you get two NZ finalists having to play thousands of miles away. It'd be as mad as the two siberian finalists in the Continental Shield playing in Scotland that happened a couple of months ago!

Think about it in terms of country.
When Aussies play each other an Aussie team is guaranteed to get the points. Same for New Zealand and South Africa.
It's 8am right now but I'll go through the expected win probability and show how New Zealand has the best schedule later.

Off the cuff, I have my reservations. I mean, I can just hear the outcries from fans of the top team when they don't get the final. Travel will be an issue as well. The Pound and Euro is not just stronger but the infrastructure is better and the distances incomparably smaller. Unless we are going to not cater to the fans and go to places with more money (London, Tokyo, NY ?) but that feels a little anticlimactic but it might just be me.
But that is the beauty, there is not top team when the competition starts. You'd be srewing an unknown team and benefitting potentially 17. Do it somwhere like singapore to promote the sport or whatever.

Dont get me wrong, i have reservations too but no system will please everyone. Since people are complaining about fairness, being upfront is as fair as it comes and singapore kinda fits a mid point between nz and rsa (two countries that have a chmce. Even if you add Aus, the same principle still applies).

The conference system still robs us, and the lions, of more challenging fixtures.

Latest posts