• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super Rugby final: Chiefs - Sharks in Hamilton (04/08/2012)

pretty interesting: http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/14461544/sharks-coach-frustrated-by-cynical-chiefs/

don't think there was much in it really, sure some stuff happened and the chiefs gave away 2-3 penalties because of it, most of the time there was nothing in it.

one thing I think realty hurt the sharks was staying in Sydney up to the last minute. It rained pretty much all weak in the waikato and from what I saw of the sharks training sessions it was pretty sweat conditions.

Waikato is just a big swamp this time of year. I think they should have bit the bullet and got into Hamilton as soon as they could and trained in the conditions as much as they could. Training in fairly warm and dry sydney is not good buildup for a game in wet and wild Hamilton.

Not taking anything away for the Chiefs victory and my following comments are NOT cause a SA team was humiliated.

I just wish in 2016 when they renegotiate the format logic prevails, 2 pools, all play all and the top 4 go through.
The situation could have been similar had the Hurricanes made that 6th spot and had to fly 3 times to meet the Stormers in the final - this is only argumentative

I want rugby to win in as fair as possible in the road to the final, and the finals itself

Way to go Chiefs well done.

You're always going to get all these issues 'after' the final but bottom line Chiefs won.

Not taking anything away for the Chiefs victory and my following comments are NOT cause a SA team was humiliated.

I just wish in 2016 when they renegotiate the format logic prevails, 2 pools, all play all and the top 4 go through.
The situation could have been similar had the Hurricanes made that 6th spot and had to fly 3 times to meet the Stormers in the final - this is only argumentative

I want rugby to win in as fair as possible in the road to the final, and the finals itself

I have to agree - the format wasn't fair on the Sharks.
The problem is, all the individual countries agreed on this format at the inception.
I think it will need tweaking now though.
What do they say about trial and error...?

But it's very difficult to come up with a decent solutions as the 3 countries require some travel.
You could go for a neutral ground, but that may temper the festivities. In Hamilton there was at least one news item a day regarding the build up to the final.

You could pick an ad random rugby ground, but what happens if you e.g. pick Dunedin and both finalists are from SA or one SA and one AUS team? I don't know people would be ready to travel and pay money for a derby they could see on tele. There will be people doing so but the turn out will be smaller.

I have to agree - the format wasn't fair on the Sharks.
The problem is, all the individual countries agreed on this format at the inception.
I think it will need tweaking now though.
What do they say about trial and error...?

it was agreed to as it created more local derbies = more money from spectators
It's all about the money

Latest posts