• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15: Blues vs Crusaders. Eden Park, Auckland (24/2/2012, 06:35 GMT)

As you may be able to tell, I like a true 'second five eighths' at 12, over a crash baller like Nonu or Roberts (though they are effective).
I suppose Carter's involvement in the side will be at the AB's discretion, and I don't think Hansen will want his prize player at 12 for most of the season.

I think in many ways your choice at 12 depends (strangely) on your choice at 9. If you have a playmaker at 9 (ala Genia/Weepu etc) having a playmaker at 12 almost becomes redundant, as most of the decision making / playmaking has been done before the ball reaches the mid-field. I found it interesting that last season nearly all NZ franchise (apart from the Blues) had a crash-ball option at 12, rather than a traditional 'second-five' (which was strange, as NZ is one of the countries that always used to favour a creative player at 12). Ideally I think you want a player who offers both a crash-ball and playmaking option - one player that fits this bill is Luke McAlister (but he was very average for the Blues last season).

I haven't seen much of Crotty, so I appreciate your input. Hobbs has the potential to be a good player, but if his best position is 12, then he will have no chance with Nonu returning. I think we discussed that 9, 10, 12, 13 would be the Blues biggest issue. They have some good individuals in all positions, but none that really seem to form a good combination yet. Time will tell, I suppose, but winning is certainly more important that trying everyone out first.

Crotty certainly is one to keep your eye on - he has the potential to develop into a McAlister type player (e.g. a good ball runner as well as a playmaking 12), but doesn't have as much talent as McAlister (though few players do!).

I think the Blues really need to pick what they think is best combination at 9,10, 12 and 13 and stick with it for the season. One of their major issues last season was they keep changing every week, so they weren't able to build any combinations. Personally I'd go for a combo of 9. Mathewson, 10. Weepu, 12. Nonu, 13. Stanley - it would probably take a few weeks to develop as a combination (and for Weepu to lose a few kgs) but in the long run I think it could be very successful (Ranger is certainly an option at 13, but that is another story....).

Yeah in your perspective, you're right and I understand what you mean. Im right with ya, but rugby to me is attack which leads to tries and big tackles, the beautiful stuff. Set pieces and tactics are important in our game as we know (and as the 'Saders demonstrated) but IMO thats boring stuff. Vital, but boring. Call me old fashioned for a relatively young man but rugby to me is attack and defence. Im not sure but I think that was what rugby was back in the days of William Webb Ellis.

I can certainly see where you are coming from. However I'm a big fan of what I call 'complete rugby' - dominating the set-pieces, controlling the game around the field, then destroying the opposition with expansive back-play. A great example of this would be the AB's match versus France in Marseille in 2009, where we destroyed them up front and in the set pieces, then destroyed them in the backs. I'm certainly not saying that the Crusaders played complete rugby (though they can at times) - indeed I agree the Blues played the more attactive rugby, it just wasn't winning rugby!

Last edited:
Just not good enough by the Blues.
Same old, stale story unfortunately.

I realise it is only the first game of the season, but still, just not good enough.
I had my doubts about the team Lam chose, and unfortunately once agian, when it comes to Pat Lam, my doubts were correct.

The sooner Lam is gone, the better.

And what is the deal with not playing Nonu this week???
Funny how Ellison and Haskell can go straight into the Highlanders last weekend but Nonu has to be stood down 2 weeks???!!!

Wonder how many changes Lam is going to make to the team this week.
Its 2011 all over again i'm afraid.

cracking game, game of the weekend for me, high speed , high intensity good physicallity. RUGBY !!!!!!!!!!!

pretty good game all round, noting in it really, basically came down to an awesome chargedown by Dagg

Some good signs for the blues in some areas.

Wulf looked really good so did Raikuna but Toeava was super impressive.

I can certainly see where you are coming from. However I'm a big fan of what I call 'complete rugby' - dominating the set-pieces, controlling the game around the field, then destroying the opposition with expansive back-play. A great example of this would be the AB's match versus France in Marseille in 2009, where we destroyed them up front and in the set pieces, then destroyed them in the backs. I'm certainly not saying that the Crusaders played complete rugby (though they can at times) - indeed I agree the Blues played the more attactive rugby, it just wasn't winning rugby!

goddamn +1
That is the edge the AB's have had in the last 20 years, consistently doing the basic well, and the reason the Crusaders have 7 ***les. Spectacular play will win you a game, consistently doing the basics without error will win you championships. Although that game in Marseille didn't exactly start in the ABs favor will Barcela absolutely handing Tialata his ass in the first 5 scrums, every other aspect of the game was simply a matter of basic rugby done well. There wasn't a standout player, but the team effort and execution was immense.

This last game was fortunate for the Saders, they didn't play the complete rugby but then again, they slowly build into the season until they're grinding opposition down into nothingness come finals time. I find it funny how they say the Crusaders are full of stars but they made plenty of those stars like the Franks, Read, Carter (these are the ones in what could be considered the "modern" era of rugby) and Thorn who's work ethic and play-style fit perfectly into their set-up. I can appreciate fantastic offensive play, incredible sleight of hand, as much as anyone, but when it comes down to winning, the Crusaders, and the ABs, know that the key is doing the basics as a team is what gets trophies in the cabinet. And doing those basics well allows you to play flash rugby, earning the right to go wide, etc. I don't know, this rant really isn't against anything, merely an observation, maybe I should hold off the rum a bit. Regardless, good but unexpected Crusaders win, maybe the Crusade continue.

Latest posts