• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15: Blues vs Crusaders. Eden Park, Auckland (24/2/2012, 06:35 GMT)

Great starting game for the neutrals!

I think the Saders had the edge in the set pieces (particularly the line-outs) which cost them the game, the blues did look dangerous on attack but lacked quality ball due to the aforementioned failure in the set pieces.

Also Weepu does not look like the same man he was in the world cup, uncharacteristically bad kicking from him even for the 25mins or so he was on.

Robbie Freun had an immense game, as did Ranger although the later was prone to a few errors.

Is Weepu not getting rapped on the knuckles for his mass?

Looked like he would struggle to match a prop for fitness at times, really disappointing for me.

Is Weepu not getting rapped on the knuckles for his mass?

Looked like he would struggle to match a prop for fitness at times, really disappointing for me.

Weepu's always struggled with his weight, it's no new thing. Even at his settled weight he's still one of the heaviest half backs around. I suspect he'd be sitting around the 98kg mark atm.

Watched the game at the pub, so didn't get the best view of the game at times, but I certainly enjoyed the game. My thoughts:

- Bleyendaal looked great on debut. He attacked the line very well with ball in hand, and generally controlled the game well.
- Andy Ellis continued last years great form - he could well be the AB's first choice halfback this season <_<
- Matt Todd turned over the ball well at the breakdown several times, but he still needs to work on other aspects of his game if he wants to be an AB's (in particular his defense). Dan Braid was ok, but Luke Braid made a big impact when he came on.
- Ranger continues to be frustratingly inconsistent. He's devastating with ball in hand....if he manages to hold onto the ball. Fruean is just as devastating, but just as inconsistent!
-Rudi Wulf looked very sharp. I firmly believe he could be pushing for an AB's recall this year.
- Toeava had a bit of a mixed game. He made some great busts, but looked uncertain at other times. He also made some great try saving tackles (though missed Fruean when he scored).

Anyways, a pretty good start to the season!

What an entertaining game it was. Both teams made too much mistakes. Lots of turnovers, but thrilling till the end.

Bleyendaal looked great on his debut despite the missed long distance pens. Fruean very strong at the end. Great result vs blues in their own Eden Park, but if blues potentially the better team. That could be completely different when McCaw and Carter are back to show the 'Saders the way.

Weepu's always struggled with his weight, it's no new thing. Even at his settled weight he's still one of the heaviest half backs around. I suspect he'd be sitting around the 98kg mark atm.

If he has always struggled with his weight, he should consider moving to a planet with a smaller gravitational pull. :D

I just can't get over not being able to remember him being so portly, he was never a stick of a man but for the life of me I can't get an image of him having a such a figure prior to his injury a year or two ago in my mind.

Just looks like he lives closer to a pie shop than a gym. /end over used pie shop reference for fat players

As a Blues tragic - i'd have to say that I'm pretty pleased. Both teams went at it like it was the finals and as messy as it got, there was still a high calibre contest in most areas.

Same Blues ill discipline, same costly mistakes but more than anything was the fact that they actually set up for a droppie at the end there rather than go for the try (which in most years they would've) it just shows that they have atm alot of faith in each other for that.

Saders deserved to win.

Pluses for Blues:

Solid scrummaging from McCartney/Faumauina. It's a work in progress, but by the time Woodcock comes back at least there is better than solid cover.
Scrambing Defense for the most part was great. (Toeava on Fruean was good)
Employing the rush defense worked a treat up until they lost alot of steam.
Despite being shutdown for the second part of the second half, they didn't give away as many mistakes/penalties as usual.
Jerome Kaino has just carried on from the AB's
Should've kept Stanley on and dropped Hobbs.

Negatives:

Lineouts. They were pretty terrible - and the worst thing is that there are far better lineouts in the s15 to come.
No tactical kicking. It's not like it's a Blues specialty but that's where we're are truly limited and if it had been full showers, then we would've been done over.
General Kicking.
Some poor tackling/decision making at crucial times.
Handling.

But hey it's the beginning of the season. Crusaders won this match last year and they went all the way to the finals!

Thought Hobbs had a pretty poor game.
He hardly had an attacking platform, but he never really seemed to know what to do.
Anscombe or Weepu to 10 next week?

Hobbs issued with an "off field" yellow card for the coathanger tackle on Dagg. This may seem pointless but its not, its effectively saying that Chris Pollock should have given a yellow for that tackle.

Off-field yellow cards go on the player's record just as if they had got one on the field, and could count against them in a future judicial hearing in terms of length of suspension.

I thought we had a much better spectacle when players were made to stay on their feet at the tackle/ruck.

Thoughts on the game;

Kaino was immense, tacking anything in a red jersey that moved... and tackling them BIG!!
Bleyendaal was very good, but the Crusaders will need a "distance" kicker until DC comes back
Reid was outstanding all over the park as usual
Maitland was a bit quiet, but seeing him chase down Rene Ranger was just awesome.
Ranger & Fruean. One word..... inconsistent!!

If Dagg wasn't avoiding kicking, he would be their distance kicker, I suppose...

Rugby did not win on the day IMO. We played the better rugby and still lost. Its a long season and we need to imporve from that. We had other oppertunities and failled to convert. We got Ali and Boric and still struggled in lineouts. Dissapointing.

Crusaders looked bland in their attack (compared to their usual), apart from when Dagg and Fruean had their few darts at the Blues line. I think they didnt play their best and still won. What is it with this Crusaders team?...a bunch of 'sir win-a-lots'. ARGH!

Rugby did not win on the day IMO. We played the better rugby and still lost. Its a long season and we need to imporve from that. We had other oppertunities and failled to convert. We got Ali and Boric and still struggled in lineouts. Dissapointing.

Crusaders looked bland in their attack (compared to their usual), apart from when Dagg and Fruean had their few darts at the Blues line. I think they didnt play their best and still won. What is it with this Crusaders team?...a bunch of 'sir win-a-lots'. ARGH!

I'm sick of Ali Williams. He stays on the wing waaaay too much. So lazy. Feel sorry for Boric, who has to do all the grunt.

Blues played most of the rugby, but couldn't capitalise on all the small breaks being made.
Pretty scrappy affair for both sides, missing a few key players. Bleyendale was good, he needs some more time, how long is Daniel Carter out for?

Thought Hobbs had a pretty poor game.
He hardly had an attacking platform, but he never really seemed to know what to do.
Anscombe or Weepu to 10 next week?

I agree, Hobbs was average at best. I've always felt Hobbs plays his best rugby at 12, when he doesn't have the responsibility to direct his team around the park. The other issue is that Mathewson at halfback doesn't have a strong kicking game, so all the pressure is on the 10 to control the game with Mathewson at 9. Not sure what they will do next week - Weepu was hardly outstanding when he came on. If they do persist with Hobbs (which I think they might) I wouldn't be surprised to see Weepu at 9 to try to take a bit of pressure off Hobbs.

Can't quite agree there - I felt the Crusaders probably did deserve the win, though it certainly wouldn't have been a travesty if the Blues has won it at the end. The Blues played the better attacking rugby, but the Crusaders were far better at the set piece, and played a much better tactical game than the Blues. The Blues may have outscored the Blues two tries to one, but did infringe a lot inside their own 22 (leading to easy penalties for the Crusaders), rather than back their own defense (hence the Crusaders didn't get as many chances to score tries).

Blues played most of the rugby, but couldn't capitalise on all the small breaks being made.
Pretty scrappy affair for both sides, missing a few key players. Bleyendale was good, he needs some more time, how long is Daniel Carter out for?
Last I heard Carter was targeting a return late March/early April (another 4-6 weeks). Based on last nights game Bleyendaal should do a pretty good job in his absence.

I agree, Hobbs was average at best. I've always felt Hobbs plays his best rugby at 12, when he doesn't have the responsibility to direct his team around the park. The other issue is that Mathewson at halfback doesn't have a strong kicking game, so all the pressure is on the 10 to control the game with Mathewson at 9. Not sure what they will do next week - Weepu was hardly outstanding when he came on. If they do persist with Hobbs (which I think they might) I wouldn't be surprised to see Weepu at 9 to try to take a bit of pressure off Hobbs.

Can't quite agree there - I felt the Crusaders probably did deserve the win, though it certainly wouldn't have been a travesty if the Blues has won it at the end. The Blues played the better attacking rugby, but the Crusaders were far better at the set piece, and played a much better tactical game than the Blues. The Blues may have outscored the Blues two tries to one, but did infringe a lot inside their own 22 (leading to easy penalties for the Crusaders), rather than back their own defense (hence the Crusaders didn't get as many chances to score tries).

Last I heard Carter was targeting a return late March/early April (another 4-6 weeks). Based on last nights game Bleyendaal should do a pretty good job in his absence.

Bleyendaal will improve with more time, I hope they don't just drop him when Carter returns. He would benefit from a Mauger/McAlister second five outside him to help with the pressure. Carter to 12 for one or two matches? I know it might sound mental, but get them both some game time, keep Bleyendaal in the 15 and give him an experienced playmaker outside him if he needs it. It could be a pretty good combination, like Carter/Mauger and the attempted Carter/McIntyre pairing.

I still think losing Michael Harris was a big mistake for the Blues. I suppose we will see in a few hours.

Weepu needs to shed a few kilo's, and also go a few more phases before the field goal attempt. Crusaders were being dragged back and forth and really didn't like moving backwards, I think they could have given Weepu a bit more time to get settled in a position, and allow a bit of cover. I have only seen a bit of Anscombe for the U20's, and he didn't really seem outstanding. He had a big pack in front of him and was rarely on the backfoot.

Bleyendaal will improve with more time, I hope they don't just drop him when Carter returns. He would benefit from a Mauger/McAlister second five outside him to help with the pressure. Carter to 12 for one or two matches? I know it might sound mental, but get them both some game time, keep Bleyendaal in the 15 and give him an experienced playmaker outside him if he needs it. It could be a pretty good combination, like Carter/Mauger and the attempted Carter/McIntyre pairing.

I feel Ryan Crotty has the potential to develop into Mauger/McAlister type 12 - he actually has a good kicking game, as he played a lot at 10 in age-grade rugby. He has never really had a chance to develop his play-making skills at 12, as playing outside Carter he hasn't really needed to! Another option would be to play Tom Taylor at 12, as he is already a genuine playmaker in the 12 jersey (and is equally comfortable at 10). A Bleyendaal/Carter combo could also be a good option when Carter returns.... the Crusaders certainly aren't short of options!

I still think losing Michael Harris was a big mistake for the Blues. I suppose we will see in a few hours.
I do agree losing Harris was a mistake for the Blues. I don't think he is a huge loss though. He is a good young 10, and I'd probably prefer him over Hobbs at 10, but I'd expect by the end of this season Anscombe will be a better player, and Weepu will be a better player in a few weeks time (when he has lost another few kgs).

Weepu needs to shed a few kilo's, and also go a few more phases before the field goal attempt. Crusaders were being dragged back and forth and really didn't like moving backwards, I think they could have given Weepu a bit more time to get settled in a position, and allow a bit of cover. I have only seen a bit of Anscombe for the U20's, and he didn't really seem outstanding. He had a big pack in front of him and was rarely on the backfoot.
Anscombe isn't outstanding (despite what many people will have you think), but I think he will develop into a very good 10 with a bit more experience. He's already a quality goal-kicker (and the Blues could certainly have used him against the Crusaders...), and is a strong tactical kicker. However he is a bit weak on defense, and though he can break the line himself with his deceptive pace, he doesn't really set the backline going that well. I don't think he is any better than Hobbs at this stage of his career, but with a bit of experience he could well be a better player by the end of the season.

so you think Anscombe is a Mehrtens kicker type player?

I many ways yes. Both are/were: Great goal-kickers. Strong tactical kickers. Weak defenders. Had deceptive pace when they decided to run.

I think Mehrtens had a better ability to set the backline going though, but that is something that Anscombe may gain with a bit more experience (but I don't think it will ever be a major strength for him though).

Last edited:
As you may be able to tell, I like a true 'second five eighths' at 12, over a crash baller like Nonu or Roberts (though they are effective).
I suppose Carter's involvement in the side will be at the AB's discretion, and I don't think Hansen will want his prize player at 12 for most of the season.

I haven't seen much of Crotty, so I appreciate your input. Hobbs has the potential to be a good player, but if his best position is 12, then he will have no chance with Nonu returning. I think we discussed that 9, 10, 12, 13 would be the Blues biggest issue. They have some good individuals in all positions, but none that really seem to form a good combination yet. Time will tell, I suppose, but winning is certainly more important that trying everyone out first.

Yeah in your perspective, you're right and I understand what you mean. Im right with ya, but rugby to me is attack which leads to tries and big tackles, the beautiful stuff. Set pieces and tactics are important in our game as we know (and as the 'Saders demonstrated) but IMO thats boring stuff. Vital, but boring. Call me old fashioned for a relatively young man but rugby to me is attack and defence. Im not sure but I think that was what rugby was back in the days of William Webb Ellis.

Latest posts