• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springbok Rugby Championship Squad

I never really thought anything of Mohoje even while doing service for SA'A' (not the airline - ha haa), until he seems to be getting the nod ahead of Jaco Kriel. As for him being better than Siya in terms of defense and physicality? I disagree, but in dismay because ditto for me, and the rest of the SA rugby public, who can smell the tax invoice (I did not say quota) on his selection but have to contend with it.

It's just a difference of Opinion. I rate Mohoje higher than Kolisi, and others will vice versa.

Hence I am commending the fact he is getting exposure in a different position, because now he will be expanding on his skillset (kicking, tackling), mindset (positioning, vision) and all round gameplay.

But Basson is getting old now, and we can see that AC is hesitant to fall in the same pit as HM did in just selecting older players. Habana's kicking and tackling has always been better than Basson's. Basson is now 29 (same as JP Pietersen). I'll pick JP over Basson every time.

Just saw news of Oregan Hoskins stepping down as SA rugby president. Can't really say if this is good or bad but thing, except for administration trotting grey areas.

Yeah, I started a seperate thread on this to avoid it taking over this thread.

When Allister Coetzee was appointed it was with the knowledge that transformation would have to be a big concern. Meaning while we don't officially have any quotas in the squad at this time Allister would not be fulfilling his mandate of transformation if he did nothing about quota's until 2019.
In the end it's been talked to death and honestly it's just something we need to get over, or stop supporting the Bokke, for me that isn't an option. Anyway Mohoje isn't too bad, he's obviously not as good as Kriel but I don't think he will bring any shame to the Springboks.

Wings are also a concern for me honestly, their are a few guys who might have the potential to step up but none of them are actually ready and have the full skill-sets required (other than Combrink and our oldies).

Edit: Also Mohoje has a 100% record vs the All Blacks and Aus. It's GENIUS! (he's only played them once each)

As supporters of the Springboks we never asked for quotas. So if a government imposes itself on the sport in its mandate of class politics then we have no choice but to always talk about it. Racism and quotas has like it or not become part of the Springboks we cant just ignore it, silently cry and keep quiet. We cant keep this discussion in one dedicated thread either as this discussion is going to come up more and more with every squad announcement working towards 2019.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. -Desmond Tutu

As supporters of the Springboks we never asked for quotas. So if a government imposes itself on the sport in its mandate of class politics then we have no choice but to always talk about it. Racism and quotas has like it or not become part of the Springboks we cant just ignore it, silently cry and keep quiet. We cant keep this discussion in one dedicated thread either as this discussion is going to come up more and more with every squad announcement working towards 2019.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. -Desmond Tutu

True. But I have this idea in my head that the quota issue is something that will be curbed more and more. The ANC and their strategic placement of certain role-players in certain positions are starting to crumble. Along with that, I'm very interested to see what the UN will do now after Afriforum's presentation of quotas in SA sport and the backlash our UN representative faced directly after the presentation.

True. But I have this idea in my head that the quota issue is something that will be curbed more and more. The ANC and their strategic placement of certain role-players in certain positions are starting to crumble. Along with that, I'm very interested to see what the UN will do now after Afriforum's presentation of quotas in SA sport and the backlash our UN representative faced directly after the presentation.

Do you have more info on this? i would really like to get more info on the presentation and the responses it got. Although i am very skeptical on the efficiency of the UN regarding internal foreign matters.

EDIT: i found a link. http://www.wereldwyd.co.za/sparks-fly-united-nations/
Apparently the SA government denied they had quotas in place:lol:.

Last edited:
The UN has NO authority anymore. The SA Government will just laugh at any comment by the UN.

Do you have more info on this? i would really like to get more info on the presentation and the responses it got. Although i am very skeptical on the efficiency of the UN regarding internal foreign matters.

http://maroelamedia.co.za/nuus/sa-nuus/vonke-spat-by-verenigde-nasies/

It's in Afrikaans though.

But You and so many others are missing the point, in that the UN can actually do a lot more than you think, especially due to our 1996 constitution and the various sections with regard to Human Rights (set out in the Bill of Rights which is section 2 of the Constitution) as well various articles that handle matters between South African Law and international law.

The reason why nothing has been done in the past is because nobody took the matter to the international bodies and succeeded in showing them the faults and problems we are facing. Therefore there were no obligation from our Government to make any changes or to do away with any unfair systems they put in place based on skin colour or race...

I won't bore you with my liberal politics but needless to say I disagree. Quota's are inefficient and our government is crap, but to say white males are the victims of injustice and quoting Desmond Tutu because we don't get the exact rugby team we want is a little silly. Most of the country has far bigger problems.

Heineken, this isn't the first time this gets to the UN. Maybe I'm cynical, but I don't have much faith in any powers outside SA. They were quick to scream murder at Apartheid while doing same stuff in their own countries, and now they just shrug the shoulders and say "what can we do"......

- - - Updated - - -

Quota's are inefficient and our government is crap, but to say white males are the victims of injustice and quoting Desmond Tutu because we don't get the exact rugby team we want is a little silly.

Don't go there please. This is out of line.

Heineken, this isn't the first time this gets to the UN. Maybe I'm cynical, but I don't have much faith in any powers outside SA. They were quick to scream murder at Apartheid while doing same stuff in their own countries, and now they just shrug the shoulders and say "what can we do"......

Where did they say that???

They blasted our own committee member, and even used the term Reverse-racism on this topic.

The committee will compile a report and make recommendations. Then, within two years, South Africa must report on how the recommendations have been implemented.

If SA doesn't comply then we run the risk of being sanctioned or even boycotted. This happened with Apartheid and can happen again. The thing is that there must just be enough voices so that the UN can hear the outcry...

I won't bore you with my liberal politics but needless to say I disagree. Quota's are inefficient and our government is crap, but to say white males are the victims of injustice and quoting Desmond Tutu because we don't get the exact rugby team we want is a little silly. Most of the country has far bigger problems.

I wont get bored. Im all for liberal/progressive politics. And yes there is bigger problems facing the country but this is the rugby forum and quotas are rugby related. It Does not mean that because there is bigger problems that we should just ignore the smaller issues, we can focus on all the issues. So according to you there is no injustice committed towards white players? I quoted Desmond to prove the irony because we know who that statement was intended for..

I wont get bored. Im all for liberal/progressive politics. And yes there is bigger problems facing the country but this is the rugby forum and quotas are rugby related. It Does not mean that because there is bigger problems that we should just ignore the smaller issues, we can focus on all the issues. So according to you there is no injustice committed towards white players? I quoted Desmond to prove the irony because we know who that statement was intended for..

Also bear in mind that Desmond Tutu has openly voiced his frustration regarding the quota/transformation system in South African sport. He and Nelson Mandela have always seen sport like religion as a symbol of hope to the impoverished. If our sports teams do good, then the people of SA are in a happier place, and they are more hopeful than other days.

This might be a small issue to some, but it's really not...

Quota's are inefficient and only exist because of our government's inability to implement grassroots or "bottom-up" policy. It's also unfair on the players who miss out due to quota's, and I do feel for those players. With that in mind I just don't think we're going to get any traction complaining about them, I doubt anyone cares enough or considers rugby quotas to be a big enough problem for anything to change. White people are still the "privileged elite" in South Africa and I don't think our government or even the UN cares about our problems especially when the man on the street is struggling to survive on a day to day basis - that's all I'm trying to say.

Personally I'm just going to support the Bokke, accept quotas as an annoyance, and hope that eventually all this political posturing will die down and the politicians will forget about rugby.

Where did they say that???

They blasted our own committee member, and even used the term Reverse-racism on this topic.

If SA doesn't comply then we run the risk of being sanctioned or even boycotted. This happened with Apartheid and can happen again. The thing is that there must just be enough voices so that the UN can hear the outcry...

I don't think this (current) government cares of this risk, if anything, they probably want to be sanctioned. Our president deliberately & blatantly ignoring remedial actions prescribed by a chapter 9 institution such as the public protector is a sign of their outright stubbornness. That cloudy hanging over the SABC is another, who ignored ICASA's mandate.

Lambie and Le Roux is back!!

The Springbok squad for the last two matches in the Rugby Championship:

1. Willem Alberts (Stade Francais, France) 39 caps, 35 points
2. Damian de Allende (Stormers) 19 caps, 10 points
3. Lood de Jager (Cheetahs) 23 caps, 20 points
4. Juan de Jongh (Stormers) 17 caps, 15 points
5. Faf de Klerk (Lions) 7 caps, 0 points
6. Pieter-Steph du Toit (Stormers) 15 caps, 15 points
7. Eben Etzebeth (Stormers) 51 caps, 10 points
8. Johan Goosen (Racing 92, France) 10 caps, 20 points
9. Bryan Habana (vice-captain, Toulon, France) 121 caps, 330 points
10. Francois Hougaard (Worcester Warriors, England) 37 caps, 25 points
11. Elton Jantjies (Lions), 9 caps, 69 points
12. Steven Kitshoff (Bordeaux Bègles, France) 5 caps, 0 points
13. Vincent Koch (Stormers/Steval Pumas) 5 caps, 0 points
14. Jaco Kriel (Lions), 5 caps, 0 points
15. Jesse Kriel (Bulls), 16 caps, 15 points
16. Patrick Lambie (Sharks), 51 caps, 137 points
17. Willie le Roux (Canon Eagles, Japan) 37 caps, 45 points
18. Francois Louw (Bath, England) 50 caps, 40 points
19. Lionel Mapoe (Lions) 7 caps, 0 points
20. Malcolm Marx (Lions) 1 cap, 0 points
21. Bongi Mbonambi (Stormers) 2 caps, 0 points
22. Oupa Mohoje (Cheetahs) 12 caps, 0 points
23. Franco Mostert (Lions) 4 caps, 0 points
24. Tendai Mtawarira (Sharks), 82 caps, 10 points
25. Lwazi Mvovo (Sharks) 17 caps, 30 points
26. Trevor Nyakane (Bulls) 26 caps, 5 points
27. Rudy Paige (Bulls) 4 caps, 0 points
28. Julian Redelinghuys (Lions) 6 caps, 0 points
29. Morne Steyn (Stade Francais, France) 64 caps, 703 points
30. Adriaan Strauss (captain, Bulls) 61 caps, 30 points
31. Warren Whiteley (Lions) 10 caps, 15 points

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyChampionship/lambie-le-roux-back-for-boks-20160921

Lambie and Le Roux is back!!

The Springbok squad for the last two matches in the Rugby Championship:

1. Willem Alberts (Stade Francais, France) 39 caps, 35 points
2. Damian de Allende (Stormers) 19 caps, 10 points
3. Lood de Jager (Cheetahs) 23 caps, 20 points
4. Juan de Jongh (Stormers) 17 caps, 15 points
5. Faf de Klerk (Lions) 7 caps, 0 points
6. Pieter-Steph du Toit (Stormers) 15 caps, 15 points
7. Eben Etzebeth (Stormers) 51 caps, 10 points
8. Johan Goosen (Racing 92, France) 10 caps, 20 points
9. Bryan Habana (vice-captain, Toulon, France) 121 caps, 330 points
10. Francois Hougaard (Worcester Warriors, England) 37 caps, 25 points
11. Elton Jantjies (Lions), 9 caps, 69 points
12. Steven Kitshoff (Bordeaux Bègles, France) 5 caps, 0 points
13. Vincent Koch (Stormers/Steval Pumas) 5 caps, 0 points
14. Jaco Kriel (Lions), 5 caps, 0 points
15. Jesse Kriel (Bulls), 16 caps, 15 points
16. Patrick Lambie (Sharks), 51 caps, 137 points
17. Willie le Roux (Canon Eagles, Japan) 37 caps, 45 points
18. Francois Louw (Bath, England) 50 caps, 40 points
19. Lionel Mapoe (Lions) 7 caps, 0 points
20. Malcolm Marx (Lions) 1 cap, 0 points
21. Bongi Mbonambi (Stormers) 2 caps, 0 points
22. Oupa Mohoje (Cheetahs) 12 caps, 0 points
23. Franco Mostert (Lions) 4 caps, 0 points
24. Tendai Mtawarira (Sharks), 82 caps, 10 points
25. Lwazi Mvovo (Sharks) 17 caps, 30 points
26. Trevor Nyakane (Bulls) 26 caps, 5 points
27. Rudy Paige (Bulls) 4 caps, 0 points
28. Julian Redelinghuys (Lions) 6 caps, 0 points
29. Morne Steyn (Stade Francais, France) 64 caps, 703 points
30. Adriaan Strauss (captain, Bulls) 61 caps, 30 points
31. Warren Whiteley (Lions) 10 caps, 15 points

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyChampionship/lambie-le-roux-back-for-boks-20160921

Thanks

Lambie, Le Roux, Redelinghys, De Jager return to Springbok squad!

Pat Lambie, having just recovered from a concussion suffered against Ireland has been recalled into the Springbok camp for the last 2 tests of the Rugby Championship, and Willie Le Roux, who was dropped more for his poor showings recently has also been recalled. I'm happy to see Lambie back, however I'm not sure if it's the best option to bring back Lambie when he hasn't even got a full 60-80 minute game since his return. I disagree quite alot with Le Roux being called back, as his form has been less than even average. I would have preferably played Goosen at 10 against Australia and Lambie at 22, with maybe Lambie starting the last test against the All Black's in Durban. I really believe Jesse Kriel deserves a game at fullback. He was good in Super Rugby at 13, but was great when he played 15. He is naturally a 15, and Goosen too naturally is a 10, and playing them both out of position is very detrimental. However another option is seeing Le Roux on the wing, as Hougaard might be asked to play at 9 or sit at 21 on the bench. Still no sight of Rohan Janse van Rensburg, which is very disappointing. I'm not very stoked to see De Jager back, he is struggling for form, with Mostert and Pieter-Steph being way better options. Our scrum has really struggled, so having Redelinghys back is fantastic.

I say make the halfback pairing Steyn and Hougaard. There's experience there. I really like Lambie, but they are rushing him. He needs more time.

I say make the halfback pairing Steyn and Hougaard. There's experience there. I really like Lambie, but they are rushing him. He needs more time.

My Team v Aussies:
15. Le Roux - For his safety and security. No more expectation on the creativity front, just surety.
14. Habana - 1st game in front of home fans in a year.
13. Kriel - Still to prove himself, might click if renewed with RWC centre partner
12. de Allende - Surely over-eager to prove himself now, also to renew and ignite partnership with Kriel.
11. Mvovo - Only 1 half.
10. Steyn - Loftus nostalgia
9. Hougaard - To pour on the pressure and show other 9s how to add muster
8. Whiteley (c) - Continuity
7. Mohoje - Continuity
6. Kriel - 1st start ffs!
5. PSDT - SA form player
4. Etzebeth - Etzebeth
3. Redelinghuys - hopefully
2. Marx - time to get cracking
1. Kitshoff - time to really get cracking

16. Mbonambi - 55th minute
17. Koch - 60th Redelinghuys
18. Nyakane - 65th minute Kitshoff
19. Mostert - Continuity
20. Louw - 60th Oupa
21. Paige - deserves game time. 55 Minute Mvovo
22. Lambie - 65th minute Steyn
23. Mapoe - Covers centre & wing

Strauss & De Klerk should for a change not make the news headlines for whatever reason. De Jongh can sit out.

My Team v Aussies:
15. Le Roux - For his safety and security. No more expectation on the creativity front, just surety.
13. Kriel - Still to prove himself, might click if renewed with RWC centre partner
12. de Allende - Surely over-eager to prove himself now, also to renew and ignite partnership with Kriel.
11. Mvovo - Only 1 half.
7. Mohoje - Continuity
5. PSDT - SA form player
4. Etzebeth - Etzebeth

19. Mostert - Continuity
20. Louw - 60th Oupa

Strauss & De Klerk should for a change not make the news headlines for whatever reason. De Jongh can sit out.

Great team, love that Etzebeth reasoning though

My Team v Aussies:
11. Mvovo - Only 1 half.
7. Mohoje - Continuity
5. PSDT - SA form player
4. Etzebeth - Etzebeth

19. Mostert - Continuity
20. Louw - 60th Oupa

Ugh! That team doesn't bring much hope to me though...

Here's my team:

1. Kitshoff
2. Strauss
3. Redelinghuys
4. Etzebeth
5. De Jager
6. Kriel
7. Alberts
8. Whitely

9. Hougaard
10. Lambie
11. Habana