• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Springbok Rugby Championship Squad

Ali AK9

Academy Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Lions
Springbok squad named by head coach Allister Coetzee for the 2016 Rugby Championship:
List of players in alphabetical order with their respective teams, position, and caps:
Ruan Combrinck - Lions, Wing, 2.
Damian de Allende - Stormers, Centre, 16.
Lood de Jager - Cheetahs, Lock, 20.
Juan de Jongh - Stormers, Centre, 14.
Faf de Klerk - Lions, Scrumhalf, 3.
Pieter-Steph du Toit - Stormers, Lock, 11.
Eben Etzebeth - Stormers, Lock, 47.
Johan Goosen - Racing 92 (FRA), Utility Back, 6.
Bryan Habana - Toulon (FRA), Wing, 117.
François Hougaard - Worcester (ENG), Utility Back, 35.
Elton Jantjies - Lions, Flyhalf, 5.
Steven Kitshoff - Bordeoux (FRA), Loosehead Prop, 1.
Vincent Koch - Stormers, Tighthead Prop, 2.
Jaco Kriel - Lions, Openside Flanker, 1.
Jesse Kriel - Bulls, Utility Back (listed as centre), 12.
François Louw - Bath (ENG), Openside Flanker, 46.
Lionel Mapoe - Lions, Centre, 4.
Malcolm Marx - Lions, Hooker, DEBUT.
Bongi Mbonambi - Stormers, Hooker, 1.
Teboho "Oupa" Mohoje - Cheetahs, Blindside Flanker, 8.
Franco Mostert - Lions, Lock, 2.
Tendai Mtawarira - Sharks, Loosehead Prop, 78.
Lwazi Mvovo - Sharks, Wing, 17.
Sikhumbuzo Notshe - Stormers, Loose Forward, DEBUT.
Trevor Nyakane - Bulls, Loosehead/Tighthead Prop, 25.
Rudy Paige - Bulls, Scrumhalf, 3.
Julian Redelinghys - Lions, Tighthead Prop, 5.
Mornê Steyn - Stade Francais (FRA), Flyhalf, 61.
Adriaan Strauss (c) - Bulls, Hooker, 57.
Duane Vermuelen - Toulon (FRA), Eighth Man, 37.
Warren Whiteley - Lions, Eighth Man, 6.

Personally, I think this is a great squad. I only have 2 question marks over Lwazi Mvovo and Juan de Jongh. Mvovo has struggled after a fairly good first test against Ireland. Courtnall Skosan has been playing much better, but I do believe that may be because of the Lions environment, which is very different to the Bok setup. Give Skosan a couple of more years and he will most definitely step up perhaps to fill in for the ageing Habana. JP Pietersen, who won MOTM against Ireland in the 3rd test, was utilised at centre for the Sharks after the June break due to injuries, and only played 1 game at wing. I believe he is still a better option than Mvovo, with more experience as well. And then Juan de Jongh. Having played very few games for the Stormers, playing Sevens for the majority of Super Rugby, he shouldn't be anywhere near a Springbok jersey. Not that he isn't a decent player, but guys like François Venter, and especially Rohan Janse van Rensburg would be very, very disappointed to not make the squad. Venter who has played well for the Cheetahs and SA 'A' side, has also been a stellar captain. Rohan Janse van Rensburg has actually been one of, if not the best 12 in the entire Super Rugby competition with Charles Ngatai. Other than that, this squad is very good. It's a relief to actually not see Willie Le Roux's name there, and to see Goosen return, although he should and will probably provide the cover Elton Jantjies in the 22 jersey. Jesse Kriel has a great opportunity to make the Bok 15 jersey his own. Marx deserves his inclusion there, and so does Oupa Mohoje, although I do feel if Marcell Coetzee and Siya Kolisi were fit, he wouldn't be in the squad. It's never nice to see a player get injured, but I do think Frans Malherbe needs time off, he wasn't the same Malherbe we saw at the World Cup, he was very off his game against Ireland.

Last edited:
I am even skeptical at the inclusion of both Goosen & Steyn, but they fill the void of flyhalf/fullback and reputable kickers, even if Goosen played centre mostly for his club. After Elton quite evidently cracked under the conditions last Saturday, an SOS call-up to Steyn is understandably warranted.

Agreed - Although De Jong's showings has never been off form or poor, his inclusion can only be attributed to his commitment & work rate on the field. However Rohan Janse van Rensburg will definitely feel gutted.

Mvovo > Skosan: same players in that they are merely just finishers, Lwazi with the added international experience. However, as I've said in previous comments they both lack in other attributes you seek in a formidable back 3 players combination; the player mold you find in JP Pietersen, but he has made himself unavailable. So Habana's inclusion is also warranted as we are now completely stripped off experience at the back. Kriel & Goosen will fight for that 15 jersey.

Teboho Mohoje is being rewarded with a call-up for his service in the SA Ã" side, but I never really rated him. Besides, I don't think he would've gotten the call if Kolisi or Marcel Coetzee were not injured.

Francois Hougaard - no reputable 9s with international experience; Cobus Reinach injury. He can cover wing and has been in great form at the 7s.

Fairly happy with the squad selection otherwise.

Yup, I share the sentiments. This is a great squad, even though it is just for the first 2 matches against Argentina (home and away).

We all know that there will be changes after that as injuries will come into play. I like the fact that other than Mvovo, all the players in that squad are on form. I'm very happy Hougaard is back in the mix, and that Groom isn't in the squad at all.

I see that Lourens Adriaanse has been called up in Nyakane's place. That shows that AC is targeting the scrum area as a possible weapon. And why shouldn't he? We saw what the Lions can do to the NZ sides, and with this pack we could be very dominant in the 1st phase areas.

Its a decent squad but I don't think we'll be competing for the ***le with the compromizes we make. We'll be there and we'll be somewhat competitive but we are fighting for 2nd against what are Aussie and Pumas sides not at their best either.

Its a decent squad but I don't think we'll be competing for the ***le with the compromizes we make. We'll be there and we'll be somewhat competitive but we are fighting for 2nd against what are Aussie and Pumas sides not at their best either.

You pessimist!!

I think we are in a much better position than the Aussies and the Argies, and I think we will be in definite 2nd spot. But if we manage to win just one game against NZ, probably in SA, then we actually have a chance of winning the ***le.

I am also probably a little pessimistic with my predictions. I believe we will only win 2 - 3 matches.

Argentina Home - Win
Argentina Away - Win/Lose not sure about this one, hence the 2 or 3

Australia Home - Win
Australia Away - Lose

New Zealand Home - Lose
New Zealand Away - Lose

You pessimist!!

I think we are in a much better position than the Aussies and the Argies, and I think we will be in definite 2nd spot. But if we manage to win just one game against NZ, probably in SA, then we actually have a chance of winning the ***le.

Come now Hein, we all know you're a massive optimist so it's a bit funny you're tuning stormer about being pessimistic :D

I think we'll win all our home games barring the NZ one and hopefully take Argentina away and get a bonus point against Aus away.

If we manage to beat Aus away though... then I'd be happy.

Come now Hein, we all know you're a massive optimist so it's a bit funny you're tuning stormer about being pessimistic :D

I think we'll win all our home games barring the NZ one and hopefully take Argentina away and get a bonus point against Aus away.

If we manage to beat Aus away though... then I'd be happy.

Geez! I'm sorry that I'm a shining light for all you downers!!

I think we will win all our games against Australia and Argentina. I also think that if our team clicks, then we will win against New Zealand at home too...

We've beaten NZ one time in the last 8, and even before that in 2011 it was a second string side.
I don't see that trend changing this year, what with the new coach, new squad and quota's weakening us. It's not like we looked fantastic against Ireland in June.

Honestly if we can beat the Argies home and away and win our home match against Aus I'd be reasonably happy, in fact all I really want to see is us grow and improve.

We've beaten NZ one time in the last 8, and even before that in 2011 it was a second string side.
I don't see that trend changing this year, what with the new coach, new squad and quota's weakening us. It's not like we looked fantastic against Ireland in June.

Honestly if we can beat the Argies home and away and win our home match against Aus I'd be reasonably happy, in fact all I really want to see is us grow and improve.

Well I take comfort in the fact that NZ doesn't have Richie Mccaw in their squad, and he alone was enough to trouble our players and cause them to have sleepless nights. Wales managed to keep the All Blacks in check during the June series for the first half, but then couldn't keep up the tempo in the 2nd half, something our teams showed they can do this season.

I really thing we have a shot...

Argentina and Aussie at home should be non-negotiables but we barely managed a home series against an Ireland side that never won a game on SA soil before this year and did so whilst being without quite a substantial amount of their top players.

Our three competitors all have a great deal more continuity going forward and this will only be our 4th game together with a vastly changed line-up and looking to adapt our game plan. IMO there are just too many players we are carrying for reasons other than their form/ability and I'm not just talking about the 'quota' players but from what I saw the likes of Vermeulen and Louw looked off the pace and are there just because of their experience. Strauss and Mtawarira aren't the best in their positions either. De Allende is off form as well but because of the Stormers connection and lack of experience elsewhere Coetzee won't drop him like Boyd did with Julian Savea. On Coetzee and his staff.. look I respect Coetzee but I've always felt he was limited as a coach and I say so only based off of imperfect information I know but what else can go off of other than team performance? And then Mzwandile Stick is a legend of the 7s game and I have respect for Paul Treu as well but why do we have a 7s coach with the Bokke and Stick doesn't even have a coaching CV!? I'd also say we are doing better with the 7s without Treu. So I don't know how we plan on taking on the All Blacks whilst carrying half a team and coaching staff when we struggled before from a better position. It looks like NZ will be taking the RWC hangover in their stride.

I still want to say beating Aus and Argentina at home should be non-negotiables and it'd be great if we could take both at home as well seeing as they seem to be on a bit of a lower mark as well post the RWC. But I don't expect it and I certainly don't expect us to come within 8 of NZ either side of the pond.

Geez! I'm sorry that I'm a shining light for all you downers!!

I think we will win all our games against Australia and Argentina. I also think that if our team clicks, then we will win against New Zealand at home too...

Yeah man, stop ruining our vibe. We like sitting in dark rooms, nursing scotch and complaining about the rugby :D

Argentina and Aussie at home should be non-negotiables but we barely managed a home series against an Ireland side that never won a game on SA soil before this year and did so whilst being without quite a substantial amount of their top players.

Our three competitors all have a great deal more continuity going forward and this will only be our 4th game together with a vastly changed line-up and looking to adapt our game plan. IMO there are just too many players we are carrying for reasons other than their form/ability and I'm not just talking about the 'quota' players but from what I saw the likes of Vermeulen and Louw looked off the pace and are there just because of their experience. Strauss and Mtawarira aren't the best in their positions either. De Allende is off form as well but because of the Stormers connection and lack of experience elsewhere Coetzee won't drop him like Boyd did with Julian Savea. On Coetzee and his staff.. look I respect Coetzee but I've always felt he was limited as a coach and I say so only based off of imperfect information I know but what else can go off of other than team performance? And then Mzwandile Stick is a legend of the 7s game and I have respect for Paul Treu as well but why do we have a 7s coach with the Bokke and Stick doesn't even have a coaching CV!? I'd also say we are doing better with the 7s without Treu. So I don't know how we plan on taking on the All Blacks whilst carrying half a team and coaching staff when we struggled before from a better position. It looks like NZ will be taking the RWC hangover in their stride.

I still want to say beating Aus and Argentina at home should be non-negotiables and it'd be great if we could take both at home as well seeing as they seem to be on a bit of a lower mark as well post the RWC. But I don't expect it and I certainly don't expect us to come within 8 of NZ either side of the pond.

Important to note we faced the Irish at the end of their international season so, as a team, they were a whole 6-nations championship older than our new players coming together for the 1st time - hence we cracked in the 1st test, therefore credit must be given to the team for managing that come from behind series win eventually.

But yes, performance wise we were way below standard. It also appears as if AC is becoming a bit irritated at the questions being asked from the media in press conferences. Particularly the part when he shunned off a question on a proposed gameplan and stressed more on basics such as getting the set-pieces right, having a good scrum setup, which he is probably directing at the players mostly come match-day.

The Irish test series was a merely getting out of the blocks for them as a coaching personnel and the real acid test is obviously the RC as other factors such as playing away and travelling comes to fore. Ditto for his assistants.

Also just want to mention the magnificent start from our Blitzbokke coming off 2 magnificent wins and not conceding any tries in either matches. Good stuff boytjies !

How can we incorporate Pollard, Goosen, Lambie (if hes not going to retire) and J.Kriel into the same team ? As i see these guys as the Future of our backline.
15. Goosen
14.Combrinck
13. Kriel
12.Lambie
11. F. Hougaard (senatla still has some proving to do in fifteens)
10.Pollard
9. de Klerk/ Reinach

Now thats a team that wont lose a territory battle no matter who they are playing add to that the fact that all of them are good defenders.

Yeah man, stop ruining our vibe. We like sitting in dark rooms, nursing scotch and complaining about the rugby :D

That has more to do with you supporting the Cheetahs than anything else... And don't lie, you're a brannewyn en Coke man!!

How can we incorporate Pollard, Goosen, Lambie (if hes not going to retire) and J.Kriel into the same team ? As i see these guys as the Future of our backline.
15. Goosen
14.Combrinck
13. Kriel
12.Lambie
11. F. Hougaard (senatla still has some proving to do in fifteens)
10.Pollard
9. de Klerk/ Reinach

Now thats a team that wont lose a territory battle no matter who they are playing add to that the fact that all of them are good defenders.

No, not at all. That is very, very unlikely. Jantjies at his best is better than Lambie and Pollard, and is just going to get better and better on the next years. I can see Reinach and Faf rotating, but Hougie on wing is not going to happen. Perhaps in a tier 2 match or as an alternative, but Habana, is still there for a couple of years and in the following years, we are likely to see Skosan, Senatla and maybe Pietersen if he can last these few years cover the left wing. With Mapoe just getting better, and it noy making sense to play a flyhalf/fullback ahead of a fantastic, in-form 12 like Rohan Janse van Rensburg, AC will simply be too pressured to not start the best centres in the country. Jesse for me, should be our first-choice FB and a backup 13, and must rotate with Goosen for that 15 jersey, but if Goosen doesn't return to SA soon, he might fall out of the Bok setup, considering if you have a fit Pollard, Jantjies and Lambie in waiting, AC being pressured to pick SA-based players, and with him likely introducing Kolbe to the Bok setup in the next couple of years. Combrinck is there to stay, so for me, the most likely back line say perhaps 2018/2019.
9. Faf de Klerk
10. Elton Jantjies
11. Courtnall Skosan/Seabelo Senatla
12. Rohan Janse van Rensburg
13. Lionel Mapoe
14. Ruan Combrinck
15. Jesse Kriel/Cheslin Kolbe
21. Cobus Reinach/Rudy Paige
22. Handre Pollard/Pat Lambie
23. Cheslin Kolbe/Johan Goosen

No, not at all. That is very, very unlikely. Jantjies at his best is better than Lambie and Pollard, and is just going to get better and better on the next years. I can see Reinach and Faf rotating, but Hougie on wing is not going to happen. Perhaps in a tier 2 match or as an alternative, but Habana, is still there for a couple of years and in the following years, we are likely to see Skosan, Senatla and maybe Pietersen if he can last these few years cover the left wing. With Mapoe just getting better, and it noy making sense to play a flyhalf/fullback ahead of a fantastic, in-form 12 like Rohan Janse van Rensburg, AC will simply be too pressured to not start the best centres in the country. Jesse for me, should be our first-choice FB and a backup 13, and must rotate with Goosen for that 15 jersey, but if Goosen doesn't return to SA soon, he might fall out of the Bok setup, considering if you have a fit Pollard, Jantjies and Lambie in waiting, AC being pressured to pick SA-based players, and with him likely introducing Kolbe to the Bok setup in the next couple of years. Combrinck is there to stay, so for me, the most likely back line say perhaps 2018/2019.
9. Faf de Klerk
10. Elton Jantjies
11. Courtnall Skosan/Seabelo Senatla
12. Rohan Janse van Rensburg
13. Lionel Mapoe
14. Ruan Combrinck
15. Jesse Kriel/Cheslin Kolbe
21. Cobus Reinach/Rudy Paige
22. Handre Pollard/Pat Lambie
23. Cheslin Kolbe/Johan Goosen

Spoken like a true Lion.

But Elton has a lot more flaws than Pollard and Lambie, especially when it comes to defending and kicking. Elton doesn't have the BMT that Pollard or Lambie has, we even saw that in the Super Rugby final. He choked worse than the Proteas!

Spoken like a true Lion.

But Elton has a lot more flaws than Pollard and Lambie, especially when it comes to defending and kicking. Elton doesn't have the BMT that Pollard or Lambie has, we even saw that in the Super Rugby final. He choked worse than the Proteas!

What about his match against the Chiefs, what about the Stormers match, what about both the QF and SF? What about the third test against Ireland? He defended brilliantly against the Highlanders, and kicked well in both games. I do admit that Jantjies' goal-kicking is slightly behind Pollard, with Lambie being the best kicker of the 3, and I also wouldn't mind seeing Lambie at FB if fit. Also, if Pollard and Lambie were up against that same Canes defence would they be any better than Jantjies? Probably not. Rohan is the best 12 in the country, even Jan Serfontein is better than De Allende in the 12 jersey, and Kriel hasn't been extremely comfortable in the 13 jersey for the Bulls this year. Yes he can play there and he has done very well for the Boks at 13, but if we were selecting on past performances, wouldn't Oupa, Willie, JP, and Mvovo all be guaranteed in the starting lineup, and if they were right now put in the starting line up against the All Blacks, ahead of Jaco Kriel, Jesse Kriel, Ruan Combrinck and Bryan Habana, wouldn't we all flip? If Allister wants to win, that backline would most probably be the best. I'm not saying I don't want Pollard and Lambie to play for the Boks at 10, but if the Lions continue their SA dominance, and manage to win SR in the next few years, AC will be under tremendous pressure to reward this current group of Lion's players. I really hate the quota system, I understand the need for transformation, but it feels forced by that monkey Mbalula.

What about his match against the Chiefs, what about the Stormers match, what about both the QF and SF? What about the third test against Ireland? He defended brilliantly against the Highlanders, and kicked well in both games. I do admit that Jantjies' goal-kicking is slightly behind Pollard, with Lambie being the best kicker of the 3, and I also wouldn't mind seeing Lambie at FB if fit. Also, if Pollard and Lambie were up against that same Canes defence would they be any better than Jantjies? Probably not. Rohan is the best 12 in the country, even Jan Serfontein is better than De Allende in the 12 jersey, and Kriel hasn't been extremely comfortable in the 13 jersey for the Bulls this year. Yes he can play there and he has done very well for the Boks at 13, but if we were selecting on past performances, wouldn't Oupa, Willie, JP, and Mvovo all be guaranteed in the starting lineup, and if they were right now put in the starting line up against the All Blacks, ahead of Jaco Kriel, Jesse Kriel, Ruan Combrinck and Bryan Habana, wouldn't we all flip? If Allister wants to win, that backline would most probably be the best. I'm not saying I don't want Pollard and Lambie to play for the Boks at 10, but if the Lions continue their SA dominance, and manage to win SR in the next few years, AC will be under tremendous pressure to reward this current group of Lion's players. I really hate the quota system, I understand the need for transformation, but it feels forced by that monkey Mbalula.

I agree that he did play well against them, but it was at home. It seems like he's a different player when he plays in SA and especially in Joburg. but as soon as he travels, he gets flustered.

It will be very hard to convince me that Elton is better than Pollard, but to keep on topic and not going into a dickswinging contest let's rather leave that topic for another day.

I agree with most of this Ali, but to be fair you have to agree that Elton suffers when he is put under pressure, he was extremely good in those games because he kept a cool, calm head. Unfortunately for 9 and 10 we need people who'll stay calm during a crisis situation. Elton can still develop BMT but until then you have to weigh up who is more valuable. The FH who'll be able to pull through in the tight games, or the one who dominates during the easier ones.

He can still become first choice, he just needs to work on that.

Then again what do I know, I just want Goose to be 10

EDIT:

With that in mind I don't see why we cant rotate our fly halves more to see what works, have Elton start and play against the AB games, but sub in one of the others for at least 30 minutes

Latest posts