• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Spectators lose interest in Super Rugby

He was agreeing with you mole!

For us it makes more sense to play in RSA due to time zones and the effect that would have on viewership.

I'd get rid of the conference system, Each team to play each other once. If they want to reduce teams then get rid of 1. Sunwolves, 2. Rebels or Force and 3 Jaguars or Kings. In that order.

It wouldn't ever happen but could a two tier system work for super rugby?

With a relegation/promotion match between the bottom of tier 1 and top of tier 2?

Have the top tier as basically super 12.

Could also be a good way of introducing new teams NZ could maybe even have a couple more teams still.

It wouldn't ever happen but could a two tier system work for super rugby?

With a relegation/promotion match between the bottom of tier 1 and top of tier 2?

Have the top tier as basically super 12.

Could also be a good way of introducing new teams NZ could maybe even have a couple more teams still.

http://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/38729-Thoughts-on-a-promotion-relegation-split-league

I still don't have high hopes for this "revamp". This 3 conference thing floating around sounds just as ridiculous.

My guess is a 3 conference system with

South Africa
Australia + Japan
New Zealand + Argentina

No special seeding for conference winners.

I'd gladly take the Jaguars in our conference. They're improving obviously and the Argentinian National team is decent and on the rise, they care about their rugby to, it will be good practice and matches for our super rugby teams and All Blacks.

The current format basically is a compromise between having 2 divisions, and keeping some cross-division games - like the Mitre 10 Cup is.

All you would really need to change is to swap around the Stormers and Kings, and stop rotating which conferences match up each year. So you have an elite division of Jaguares Lions Sharks Stormers & NZ, and a development division of Cheetahs Bulls Sunwolves Kings & Aus. With the bonus that you don't actually admit that you've split the teams into 2 divisions.

They tried it (almost) in 2016, it didn't work.

So you have an elite division of Jaguares Lions Sharks Stormers & NZ, and a development division of Cheetahs Bulls Sunwolves Kings & Aus.
It has been a pleasure knowing you.
This should escalate quickly enough.

Ah, so typical of Andrew Mehrtens to give SA the finger, again.

He's just looking at one area of the problem, which is the time zone difference.

He's however forgetting that other big aspect which is money. And if SA goes away, there won't be enough money to keep the tournament profitable.

Ah, so typical of Andrew Mehrtens to give SA the finger, again.

He's just looking at one area of the problem, which is the time zone difference.

He's however forgetting that other big aspect which is money. And if SA goes away, there won't be enough money to keep the tournament profitable.

Merts isn't the brightest tool in the shed, nor the sharpest light at night, neither is Justin Marshall, or John Kirwan, or Jeff Wilson or...

I hear it's going to be 15 teams. That likely means 2 South African teams cut..

Who after the Kings gets dropped? Cheetahs?

I think they will join the Rebels and Force.

Or will they join the Rebels and Brumbies? That would make more sense geographically..

Sunwolves will join the Aussie conference and Jags join the SA conference.

Kings & Cheetahs cut?

Last edited:
Merts isn't the brightest tool in the shed, nor the sharpest light at night, neither is Justin Marshall, or John Kirwan, or Jeff Wilson or...

I hear it's going to be 15 teams. That likely means 2 South African teams cut..

Who after the Kings gets dropped? Cheetahs?

I think they will join the Rebels and Force.

Or will they join the Rebels and Brumbies? That would make more sense geographically..

Sunwolves will join the Aussie conference and Jags join the SA conference.

Kings & Cheetahs cut?

Well the Cheetahs' President has already stated that they are going to be in next year's tournament. So my guess is that the Kings and maybe the Rebels/Force to be cut.

Well the Cheetahs' President has already stated that they are going to be in next year's tournament. So my guess is that the Kings and maybe the Rebels/Force to be cut.

I don't think so. I think one will merge into the Brumbies, or merge together.

The Jaguaers are going to join the SA conference and the Sunwolves joining the Aussie conference, from what's been said they want 3 groups of 5, so if the Jaguaers are joining the SA conference, it looks like it will be 2 SA teams cut.

I used to watch a lot of super rugby but just haven't in the last two years, through general business not design.

Tuned into the Crusaders against the Highlanders and was just amazed by how theatrical it all was. It was clearly a conscious decision to try and increase the breadth of appeal to a wider range of consumers to keep the thing marketable and profitable. However I just found it quite oppressive, the music absolutely all the time, even for tiny tiny pauses.
So I just wondered, is this completely standardised across all home venues now or are there large differences in the implementation of this from club to club?
Super rugby is still incredible fun to watch and I actually like the theatrically of the commentary, which to be fair has always been there in Australasian commentators to a good degree more than their northern hemisphere counterparts. Overall though I could have done without this being made into a big party with rugby almost being an accoutrement. I can accept however this might just be a reflection of how ****ing boring we are up north when it comes to rugby, with our dull kits, conservative philosophy and nauseating commentary!

I used to watch a lot of super rugby but just haven't in the last two years, through general business not design.

Tuned into the Crusaders against the Highlanders and was just amazed by how theatrical it all was. It was clearly a conscious decision to try and increase the breadth of appeal to a wider range of consumers to keep the thing marketable and profitable. However I just found it quite oppressive, the music absolutely all the time, even for tiny tiny pauses.
So I just wondered, is this completely standardised across all home venues now or are there large differences in the implementation of this from club to club?
Super rugby is still incredible fun to watch and I actually like the theatrically of the commentary, which to be fair has always been there in Australasian commentators to a good degree more than their northern hemisphere counterparts. Overall though I could have done without this being made into a big party with rugby almost being an accoutrement. I can accept however this might just be a reflection of how ****ing boring we are up north when it comes to rugby, with our dull kits, conservative philosophy and nauseating commentary!

I was actually at that match.

To sum it up, NZ crowds are quite bad at creating their own noise and atmosphere so we hammer horrible catchy over exposed tunes for a few split seconds. The Highlanders support is actually quite good though with 'The Zoo', but yeah, no chanting or singing really.

It's crap all that music..

Also I was letting the ref know what I thought of his performance in areas and a bloke turned around a told me I was giving him an ear ache...

REALLY? Mate, we're at a sports match and it's a local derby, make some bloody noise you old geezer.

Also this immature booing when someone is taking a place kick... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I was actually at that match.

To sum it up, NZ crowds are quite bad at creating their own noise and atmosphere so we hammer horrible catchy over exposed tunes for a few split seconds

You have the cow bells though, which I think adds to the atmosphere.

Latest posts