• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sonny Bill U-turn offers Nonu a second chance

Amobokoboko

Waikato Junglist
Country Flag
Belgium
Club or Nation
Chiefs
Not really sure if he would be the best pick for the Chiefs as for the last 3 season all teams he has played for have ended at the bottom of the table

<article>Sonny Bill Williams' decision to stay in Rugby League could turn out to be a lifeline for All Black centre Ma'a Nonu with the defending Super Rugby champion Chiefs.
Nonu has been unable to win a Super XVcontract with any of the five New Zealand franchises for next year and is believed to be negotiating a move to France.
The Chiefs had pinned their hopes on code-jumping star Williams returning to their rugby union ranks after helping the Sydney Roosters win the National Rugby League crown in Australia last weekend.
But after indicating the move was on, Williams' decision this week to stay with the Roosters has left a gaping hole in the Chiefs playing roster and Nonu is the only high-profile centre still looking for a job.
Chiefs coach Dave Rennie, who first won theSuper XV crown in 2012 with Williams in his side, confirmed to Radio Sport on Saturday that Nonu was now an option.
"It could well be. We've got a bit of a plan around it, but Ma'a's certainly someone we've talked about," he said.
The Auckland Blues are also reported to be having a rethink about the blockbusting Nonu after earlier writing him off when he walked out on a handshake agreement to play with the side this year.
"We are looking at him as an option," a Blues spokesman told Fairfax Media, but added there was nothing "concrete" at this stage.
There is little time left to negotiate with the 84-Test Nonu as Super 15 squads for 2014 must be finalised by October 22.
Nonu has played for three franchises over the past three seasons - the Hurricanes, the Auckland Blues and the Highlanders - and New Zealand's other Super XV side the Crusaders have said they do not want him.
He has been linked with a move to French side Clermont although the New Zealand Rugby Union has a policy of not picking anyone playing offshore.

</article>

The Blues would be dumb not to take Nonu their mid-field is lacking some firepower now Ranger has gone and he would add alot of experience and can mentor Marshall and Saili.
We all know he can play up but the Blues have Graham Henry and he will keep Ma'a in check plus Ma'a has never played up with him and I don't think he will again.

This is professional sports both parties just need leave the pass and look to the future this is a win-win situation.Jerome back next year the Blues look like a team who can get get it done,I'm really excited about Kane Barrett can't wait to see him play next Blues captain I reckon.why not another U-turn

Oh wait no come to the Chiefs since I'm living here now lol then my wife will definitely get the family all Chiefs jerseys lol......Looks like Nonu is the center of attention now excuse the pun lol.

Last edited:
The Chiefs have 2 more spots left I reckon pick Ma'a Nonu and go for Ihaia West,the Chiefs are good at spotting talent from Hawkes Bay.West would be a great replacement if cruden falls over and is a better option then Kerr despite no SuperRugby experience.

both the blues and the chiefs have the coaching power to turn nonu right in super rugby. the combo of kirwan and henry would do him wel, as would rennie and smith. this is a perfect opportunity for nonu.
the blues have lost significant punch in their midfield with the departure of ranger, although you would have to feel sorry for the developing players already in their midfield (saili, willison, fekitoa).
the blues should jump on ihai west asap.. there stocks at 10 are sub par to say the lest with kerr and chris noakes. west could really have an opportunity to become a starting super rugby 10 at the blues

did not expect Nonu to be linked with the blues after he basically turned his back on them after a chat and handshake with JK.

and I personally don't want to see him at the chiefs. I would rather see Horrell, Aki and Ngatai get more chances, all three have a lot of potential and ability, even all black potential.

but the fact is he has to go somewhere. hes become something of a special case, super rugby he just seems to do too little or too much and doesn't seem to fit into the team, or be a team player. I look at the team culture at the chiefs which is superb. Nonu could spoil that.

I don't want to see him at the chiefs, but I think that Smith and Rennie wouldn't put up with his ish. So if he wanted to play he would have to, well play. But who knows what will happen with him. I just hope this proves a point to him, that being an All Black doesn't mean you can slack off during Super 15 season, so play hard all the time or go off and make money cause your not wanted in NZ with that attitude.

Well it is the Chiefs turn for a **** season and Nonu seems to bring those with him.

Well it is the Chiefs turn for a **** season and Nonu seems to bring those with him.

The Chiefs have had plenty of bad seasons. I think they should keep having great season for a few more years.

The Chiefs have had plenty of bad seasons. I think they should keep having great season for a few more years.

Haha, yea I'd rather they kept up their recent form as they're enjoyable to watch.

There are certainly lots of conoctations.

Hansen also defended Williams in the press recently. He's said if Sonny plays in the 2015 super 15 and can continue to play to his current level then he'll be very hard to leave out of the all blacks.

I think that sentiment could also be extended to Nonu allowing him to go to France next season with a 2nd season option and then put out feelers to the NZ francises in 2015.

There's also two more super 15's for a new star to put his hand up.

As someone who just likes rugby in all it's guises, I'm kinda interested to see how SBW goes with NZ in the RL world cup in a few weeks time. Recently NZ have struggled against the bigger sides, but SBW in the space RL gives you, that's exciting.

The Chiefs have 2 more spots left I reckon pick Ma'a Nonu and go for Ihaia West,the Chiefs are good at spotting talent from Hawkes Bay.West would be a great replacement if cruden falls over and is a better option then Kerr despite no SuperRugby experience.

Isn't Kerr signed on with the Blues?

My hunch is Nonu signs with the Chiefs

I think Nonu should sign with the Stormers. I think with him over there to focus solely on his Rugby, would be good for him.

Stormers are a consistent force in Super Rugby and given both JDV and Nonu are both in the twilight of their careers, they'll be looking to show everyone experience midfielders is what you want. I think they'll be great together, kinda like the Robbie Fruean with the Sonny-Bill. The Stormers will maintain their good name with Nonu there (I guess even without but you know what I mean).

Said it before and Im sayin it all over.

I don't think it matters which franchise Nonu "plays" for ... he seems to have the opinion that Super Rugby doesn't matter, and the AB selectors have kind off validated that, by continuing to pick him, regardless of poor form in Super Rugby.

... If Steve Hansen and co, had treated him more like Piri Weepu, and dropped him until he could put in decent performances in Super Rugby, there wouldn't be an issue with the Franchises not wanting to sign him.

I don't think it matters which franchise Nonu "plays" for ... he seems to have the opinion that Super Rugby doesn't matter, and the AB selectors have kind off validated that, by continuing to pick him, regardless of poor form in Super Rugby.

... If Steve Hansen and co, had treated him more like Piri Weepu, and dropped him until he could put in decent performances in Super Rugby, there wouldn't be an issue with the Franchises not wanting to sign him.

They continue to pick him because hes the best, just because his SR team doesnt perform does not mean he doesnt care. Hansen gave an interview a few weeks ago and said you cant put all the blame on Nonu. He even stated that Nonu was playing with an injury this year (when he shouldnt have) just because he wanted to help the struggling Highlanders.

Everyone needs to stop whinging about Nonu, its getting old.

i have a hunch whichever team he goes to (blues or chiefs) he will have a stellar super rugby campaign. those coaches would get the best out of him, and translate his ab form into super rugby. also think he will end up at chiefs too for some reason

Anyone that says Nonu doesn't care is just being an idiot! IF you watch him play at SR level you can tell he IS putting in the effort, he wants to go well, he wants his team to go well. For some reason though his head has just not been in the right place for some time now.

As for where he is going, looks like the Blues as Rennie has come out and said the Chiefs haven't even sat down with him yet and the Blues have been in discussions with him for a while.

I'm with Ryoto and Jessta, sit back and watch Nonu this year, he will go well!!

Fruean to the Chiefs? That could be a very interesting and exciting prospect! To be honest I would prefer to have Fruean... Him and Horrell, Ngatai or Aki would be a fascinating combination.

Fruean to the Chiefs? That could be a very interesting and exciting prospect! To be honest I would prefer to have Fruean... Him and Horrell, Ngatai or Aki would be a fascinating combination.
I rate Fruean and wish him all the best for his recovery and Rugby career, but you have to wonder how much of a risk it would be to sign him due to his health? Of course I do not have any additional insight into his health situation but he has only just had his second heart surgery so one has to presume there is every chance he doesn't play a full season...For that reason alone I's prefer Nonu. I think the Chiefs want Nonu but looks like they are resigned to the Blues getting him first.....

Latest posts