• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Smoking

The problem with your argument like most who argue for freedom of smokers are being infringed and it should be up to adults to choose is that tobacco smoking has zero benefits and all downsides. You can argue abstractly all you like, but most Democratic societies are moving towards an outright ban. The law was passed overwhelmingly here. Not without its flaws but still probably one the few policies Rishi can be applauded for.

The problem with your argument like most who argue for freedom of smokers are being infringed and it should be up to adults to choose is that tobacco smoking has zero benefits and all downsides. You can argue abstractly all you like, but most Democratic societies are moving towards an outright ban. The law was passed overwhelmingly here. Not without its flaws but still probably one the few policies Rishi can be applauded for.
Which is one of the reasons i found it weird Germany legalised cannabis smoking / use. Smoking is still smoking plus the other issues caused by regular cannabis use.

Which is one of the reasons i found it weird Germany legalised cannabis smoking / use. Smoking is still smoking plus the other issues caused by regular cannabis use.
The main benefit I see with cannabis use is for medical ie pain relief. Plus, there's no need to smoke it. The two times I had it was in came form. But the one I had in Amsterdam has put me off it for life. Far too strong and I was wired for days.

Personal opinion alert.

Prohibition doesn't work, and just "doesn't work" but typically makes things far worse (hopefully the phased nature of this combats this aspect)
Legalise it, regulate it, educate about it (including increased research), normalise it, tax it heavily; pour the money raised from that straight back into treating addiction as a mental health issue rather than standard medical, or worse, police.

The main benefit I see with cannabis use is for medical ie pain relief. Plus, there's no need to smoke it. The two times I had it was in came form. But the one I had in Amsterdam has put me off it for life. Far too strong and I was wired for days.
It certainly has more benefits than alcohol (which pretty much has zero benefits like smoking)

Personal opinion alert.

Prohibition doesn't work, and just "doesn't work" but typically makes things far worse (hopefully the phased nature of this combats this aspect)
Legalise it, regulate it, educate about it (including increased research), normalise it, tax it heavily; pour the money raised from that straight back into treating addiction as a mental health issue rather than standard medical, or worse, police.

Torn on this in inefficient tax jurisdictions. It should work but studies in the UK and Ireland have shown that increasing tax on alcohol doesn't reduce the quantity of alcohol alcoholics consume but drives them into poverty buying it.

Tough balancing act in some cases. Smoking, admittedly, not one of them.

It certainly has more benefits than alcohol (which pretty much has zero benefits like smoking)
Depends who you are for alcohol. I recall the chief medical officer saying a small glass of red wine for women in their 50s is beneficial for their heart proven in studies.

But there's the whole social benefits of alcohol which can't be dismissed. Of course moderately rather than the whole culture of getting smashed. Some Peeps react violently to alcohol which of course is never beneficial.

A bad combination of course is having a drink and cigarette.

Depends who you are for alcohol. I recall the chief medical officer saying a small glass of red wine for women in their 50s is beneficial for their heart proven in studies.

But there's the whole social benefits of alcohol which can't be dismissed. Of course moderately rather than the whole culture of getting smashed. Some Peeps react violently to alcohol which of course is never beneficial.

A bad combination of course is having a drink and cigarette.
I think that's really pushing it to be honest. When David Nutt did that study he ranked alcohol, along with Tobacco if I recall correctly, as one of the most damaging drugs in the world and that wasn't just physical health that considered societal damage too.

The fact of the matter is that there are a lot of drugs that have a lot more benefits than alcohol. MDMA, Acid, mushrooms, cannabis just to name a few.

It's a very complex subject. Why do people feel the need to smoke or drink excessively in the first place? To take the edge off life and escape from reality for a bit in many cases I assume. The root causes will vary greatly - problems at home, relationships, lack of prospects, stress at work, mental health, following Scottish rugby etc. I guess many people just don't know when to hit the stop button.

The thing that bugs me about smoking is the damage it can do passively to people who aren't even choosing to smoke e.g. children whose parents smoke in the house. There are no consequences for that. With alcohol fuelled violent crime a sound justice system should at least be able to play a part as well as domestic abuse helplines etc. Who do passive smokers call?

It's a very complex subject. Why do people feel the need to smoke or drink excessively in the first place? To take the edge off life and escape from reality for a bit in many cases I assume. The root causes will vary greatly - problems at home, relationships, lack of prospects, mental health, following Scottish rugby etc. I guess many people just don't know when to hit the stop button.

The thing that bugs me about smoking is the damage it can do passively to people who aren't even choosing to smoke e.g. children whose parents smoke in the house. There are no consequences for that. With alcohol fuelled violent crime a sound justice system should at least be able to play a part as well as domestic abuse helplines etc. Who do passive smokers call?
I think you make a fair point but in my opinion the fact of the matter is that alcohol is probably the most harmful drug in the world when you take into account harm to other people. How many people die from drink drivers, how many people abused by alcoholics? How many people with life changing injuries from drunken fights, how much damage to public and private property etc etc. then you have 2nd hand smoke. It doesn't compare in my opinion. Are there any studies into how many people die from 2nd hand smoke. I bet it's minimal to non existent.

I think that's really pushing it to be honest. When David Nutt did that study he ranked alcohol, along with Tobacco if I recall correctly, as one of the most damaging drugs in the world and that wasn't just physical health that considered societal damage too.
You're right there's no real safe level of alcohol. Different countries have different recommendations on weekly limits. Here it's 14 units a week, and days off inbetween, whereas in Canada it's 2 standard drinks a week.

I suffer from the Asian flush but do enjoy a beer or two still but try to keep it way below 14 units a week and only after eating. This is the point where I say I am an adult and know my own limits and society has allowed me to choose this as long as I cause no harm to others.
The fact of the matter is that there are a lot of drugs that have a lot more benefits than alcohol. MDMA, Acid, mushrooms, cannabis just to name a few.
Now we're getting into a different discussion of benefits/disadvantages of other drugs. This is where we get into the if alcohol is so harmful why is that legal but not those other drugs.

End of the day peeps really want to get hold of those others they will. Only difference is what quality and what price they are willing to pay for it.

You're right there's no real safe level of alcohol. Different countries have different recommendations on weekly limits. Here it's 14 units a week, and days off inbetween, whereas in Canada it's 2 standard drinks a week.

I suffer from the Asian flush but do enjoy a beer or two still but try to keep it way below 14 units a week and only after eating. This is the point where I say I am an adult and know my own limits and society has allowed me to choose this as long as I cause no harm to others.

Now we're getting into a different discussion of benefits/disadvantages of other drugs. This is where we get into the if alcohol is so harmful why is that legal but not those other drugs.

End of the day peeps really want to get hold of those others they will. Only difference is what quality and what price they are willing to pay for it.
Heroin is probably better for you and society than alcohol. lol.

Alcohol is basically pointless. It reduces your mental age to about a 3 year old and only really does damage to body, mind and society.

I think you make a fair point but in my opinion the fact of the matter is that alcohol is probably the most harmful drug in the world when you take into account harm to other people. How many people die from drink drivers, how many people abused by alcoholics? How many people with life changing injuries from drunken fights, how much damage to public and private property etc etc. then you have 2nd hand smoke. It doesn't compare in my opinion. Are there any studies into how many people die from 2nd hand smoke. I bet it's minimal to non existent.

Not saying alcohol is less damaging overall. Just making the point that passive smokers e.g. babies & children have no form of protection from a justice system or any other means.

Heroin is probably better for you and society than alcohol. lol.
🤔 where did you get that from? Have you not watched Trainspotting? And Paula Yates and her daughter both dying from overdosing. Nasty drug they got hooked on.
Alcohol is basically pointless. It reduces your mental age to about a 3 year old and only really does damage to body, mind and society.
Just that it's legal and prohibition has been shown to not work.

I am thankful that I am unlikely to be an alcoholic because of my condition but recognise there are a lot of peeps who can't control their addiction to it.

Not saying alcohol is less damaging overall. Just making the point that passive smokers have no form of protection from a justice system or any other means.
That is fair. I just think if you grow up in a smoking household and never smoke yourself you're unlikely to have any life changing health problems unless you're home schooled and are never allowed in a smoke free room or something and even then I just can't see it as a massive social problem. The obvious biggest problem with growing up in an environment like that is that you'll probably just turn into a smoker yourself leave yourself open to being more likely to get cancer.

🤔 where did you get that from? Have you not watched Trainspotting? And Paula Yates and her daughter both dying from overdosing. Nasty drug they got hooked on.

Just that it's legal and prohibition has been shown to not work.

I am thankful that I am unlikely to be an alcoholic because of my condition but recognise there are a lot of peeps who can't control their addiction to it.
Because at least heroin serves a medical function, it's one of the best pain killers we've got. I may be being a bit cute with my wording here but heroin is essentially opium.

I wouldn't want to ban alcohol, I think alcohol is great to be honest.

The Conservative party are looking to hire people like you lol.
I know you're just joking but, for the record, this isn't a contradiction as people should be free to make their own choices about what to put in their body. The only 2 consistent sides in this are ban all drugs or legalise all. I side with the latter.

Because at least heroin serves a medical function, it's one of the best pain killers we've got. I may be being a bit cute with my wording here but heroin is essentially opium.
Yeh and we saw how that turned out in China in the 19th century. Now China are basically doing the same to the US but Fentanyl instead.
I wouldn't want to ban alcohol, I think alcohol is great to be honest.
👍

Yeh and we saw how that turned out in China in the 19th century. Now China are basically doing the same to the US but Fentanyl instead.

👍
I was just highlighting a benefit not saying it was a positive overall. The point was saying it's more beneficial than alcohol. You're argument on smoking seems to be it has zero benefits but I put to you that alcohol is the more harmful drug overall when considering both physical and societal health.