• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Shanklin dislocates shoulder

I'd prefer them to bring a Fly Half over a center for a replacement, because 2 is just not enough, and they already have plenty of able centers in the squad. Not Hook though, Hook's running game has been good but everything else has gone down the pan. As a Blues fan I'd say Nicky Robinson :p but I doubt he will, Geech will probably go for D'Arcy.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ May 7 2009, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm sure it'll be a pleasure for him ^_^
Has D'Arcy been in good form? Do you guys consider him an able replacement?[/b]

D'Arcy has slowly been getting back to form, was a horrific double break in his arm in the Italy match last year so it was quite a long recovery for him. Been a bit hit and miss at times but he was outstanding on Saturday, defensively he's been rock solid since his comeback but he's needed gametime to sharpen his attacking play which has been a bit up and down. Saturday won't have done his chances any harm and given that Henson is out injured it's hard to see Evans, Tait, Noon or Tindall or whoever else is being mentioned as a realistic option.

D'arcy can play either centre or wing slots if required.

He's a 12 but him and O'Driscoll frequently swap between the 12 and 13 slot.

Shanks injury confirmed. Shame for the guy.

Two down, one due, how much more disruption to come?

actually on that topic munsterman are you gonna start exing off the munster lions from your sig. They seem to be dropping like flies!

No :p

Even if I knew how, I wouldn't do it. Might try and add in Hayes or Horan or Stringer or anybody if they are called up though ;)

Oh and because I haven't said it yet, best wishes to a speedy (don't laugh Cyril) recovery for Shanklin, he would have been a huge asset in SA.

Shame for Shanks, always rated the lad.

Personally i'd plump for Darcy from a realistic point of view, but part of me still wants another 10 to go along, in which case Robinson I guess would be in with a shout and maybe Hook, given that he offers something at 12 aswell, shite though his form has been. Can Robinson play anywhere other than 10?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ May 8 2009, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Delon Armitage[/b]

why though? I don't think McGeechan is going to change his plans before the party has even left for South Africa, I can understand the calls to bring another 10, that would be my personal choice but if it's just gonna be like for like replacements than I don't see Armitage getting within an asses roar. Besides we don't need another full back both Bowe and Fitzgerald can cover there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ May 8 2009, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ May 8 2009, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Delon Armitage[/b]

why though? I don't think McGeechan is going to change his plans before the party has even left for South Africa, I can understand the calls to bring another 10, that would be my personal choice but if it's just gonna be like for like replacements than I don't see Armitage getting within an asses roar. Besides we don't need another full back both Bowe and Fitzgerald can cover there.
[/b][/quote]

Been looking good at 13 for London Irish in recent weeks!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ May 8 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ May 8 2009, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Delon Armitage[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

well then you say that Hook looked good at 13 against the Dragons doesn't mean he's gonna tour though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ May 8 2009, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ May 8 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Delon Armitage[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

well then you say that Hook looked good at 13 against the Dragons doesn't mean he's gonna tour though.
[/b][/quote]

Oh dear ...

Where has Hook come from? Never mentioned him. Where did I say Hook's going to tour?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ May 8 2009, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ May 8 2009, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ May 8 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Delon Armitage[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Oh dear ...

Where has Hook come from? Never mentioned him. Where did I say Hook's going to tour?
[/b][/quote]

my point is that players playing well in domestic games out of position doesn't necessarily mean they can carry that form through to the international game. That you was a general you not referring to you specifically, should have said you can.

If Geech is bringing in a centre to replace Shanklin, it would appear that Gordon D'arcy is at the top of the queue. Given the form of Ronan O'Gara and the lack of flyhalf cover in the squad, a 10/12 is possibly a better option. Obviously James Hook's name will enter the equation but how about Sam Vesty who's in the form of his life at present?

good and all as he's been do you really want 2 centres who are untested at international level?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ May 8 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
good and all as he's been do you really want 2 centres who are untested at international level?[/b]

Why does it matter if they are untested at international level?

Lions Tours have in the past had players play out of position i.e. Neil Jenkins 97 Lions Tour and players uncapped have also made a name for themselves.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ May 8 2009, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ May 8 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
good and all as he's been do you really want 2 centres who are untested at international level?[/b]

Why does it matter if they are untested at international level?

Lions Tours have in the past had players play out of position i.e. Neil Jenkins 97 Lions Tour and players uncapped have also made a name for themselves.
[/b][/quote]

because this is international level, the game has moved on a hell of a lot since 97, you could get away with it in the amateur days but not now, 2005 was proof of that with Wilkinson, do you want a repeat of that? We're no longer in a position where ideas of the past will work in this day and age.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ May 8 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I couldn't care less to be honest! South Africa are injury hit and their coach is average at best. There's nothing to fear in playing unproven players against them at an international level. In form players should be chosen ahead of those living on past glories. Vesty is in form. Hook and D'arcy before last weekend aren't.

I suspect Geech will choose D'arcy and Vesty won't be in the reckoning but that doesn't mean it's the right call in my opinion.

I think Geechs will take the opportunity to either name another fly-half (Nicky Robinson) or another centre (D'Arcy or...Jordan Turner-Hall?)

I just don't see why he'd change his approach before he's even landed in South Africa, doesn't send out the best signal either. Oops I f***ed things up first time round but thankfully this injury has made me look like less of a ***, I doubt he'd do that.