• Poll closed .

smartcooky

Referee Coach and Advisor
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Tasman
I am keen to see what opinions are here regarding this tackle, and compare them with a similar poll on the referees forum

Last edited:
Taking the memo to referees into consideration, absolutely the right call. When you lift a player up you are solely responsible for putting him back down safely. Warburton failed to do that, and was rightly sent off. Had he not let go of him, and fallen to the ground with him, he probably could have gotten only a yellow, or perhaps no cards at all and just a penalty. The moment he let go, he put himself at the mercy of Rolland's interpretation.

I, for one, am happy to see that tip tackles are trying to be eradicated from our sport. They have no place in rugby, and we don't need them. That said, I do feel somewhat sorry for Warburton, as he could feel like the IRB is making an example of him. However, he's not the first to be sent off for a tip tackle in the past two years.

Correct call as per the rule book (or at least the spear tackle memo), even if part of me wishes Walburton had only been given a yellow for the sake of the game. Shame on us for winning the game by one point only under these circumstances, but shame on Walburton's for bringing this upon himself and his teammates.

Last edited:
Red card - correct call.

I watched a clip from Scrum V where they discussed the tackle, and I completely agreed with what both Josh Lewsey and Kingsley Jones said - watching it you might not think it's a straight red, however if you've read the IRB memo, which every single coach at the WC had, you know exactly what to expect in that situation, and you can't argue with it.

I wish he had just got a yellow but after hearing how the refs have been told to deal with situations like this (start with red and work backwards) i have to say it was right

It was absolutely the right call - what i don't get is why players would put themselves in a position that could get red carded, using the tip tackle, when other tackles could be used

Independently from the rule book, this is potentially a life threatening action which outside a rugby pitch would be dealt with by the court.

I would not expect many parents sending their kids to the rugby school if the IRB was not acting vigorously to prevent this kind of tackle.

We all know that on the pitch, we somehow sometimes forget our brain in the dressing room, sheer aggression and instinct often dictate our actions.

The action was not premeditated but this is all about controlling your aggression which is one the key value of rugby union.

Both law and its application are absolutely right in the present case.

I am keen to see what opinions are here regarding this tackle, and compare them with a similar poll on the referees forum

How did the poll on the referees forum go? I saw a poll on the NZ Herald website where only 25% thought it was the correct call. I saw another poll on a New Zealand rugby forum which saw it at 50%. Obviously the more knowledgeable people are about the game, the more likelier they are to think that Rolland got it right.

How did the poll on the referees forum go? I saw a poll on the NZ Herald website where only 25% thought it was the correct call. I saw another poll on a New Zealand rugby forum which saw it at 50%. Obviously the more knowledgeable people are about the game, the more likelier they are to think that Rolland got it right.

So far the poll on rugbyrefs is

OVERALL ALL POSTERS

RED CARD............. 53
YELLOW CARD........12
PENALTY KICK.........1
PLAY ON................0

However there are some non-referees on the site and the voter's usernames are visible so I can work out which group is voting for what.

When you take out the non-referees, the vote is

RED CARD............. 50
YELLOW CARD........9
PENALTY KICK.........0
PLAY ON................0

Last edited:
I dont think it was too bad of a tackle but then again I am Samoan.

Was the red card the right call?

YES. Easy as that, it was a tip tackle and he let go of the man while that man was still in the air. Things like that need to be taken care of. We don't want to see this on a rugby field. Though I like Warburton and I was supporting Wales in the match, I had no problems with the call. Alain Rolland made the right call and is spot on. Other referees might not have given the red card, but Rolland is known to be strict. Guys like Craig Joubert are more lenient, but that doesn't mean all referees should have left the red card out.

Would I have given the red card?
Having been a referee in South Africa for a while, I've had my fair share of hard calls to make. I avoided red cards as much as possible. My thoughts are that red cards should be reserved for serious acts of foul play. Hitting a player like Tuilagi on Ashton earlier, that is a typical red card-infringement. I agree that a red card is justified but personally I wouldn't have given the red card if I were the referee and stuck to yellow. You see why I am a little stuck on the matter? I feel for the Welsh, agree with the decision of the red card although I wouldn't have given the red card personally if I was the ref.

Ai, this is difficult

If the infringment was enough to warrent yellow at the very least (and we all agree that was the case) then the Welsh can blame no one but Warburton for being sent off.

If you don't want your foot getting burnt don't stick it in the fire.

The thing is, if you look at Warburton and Lydiate, they often lift the player off the ground and drive them back. Which is fine, it's just in this instance it went really wrong. I can understand it being a red card, and I can understand Rolland giving the red card, I just know in my gut that if it was me reffing the match I wouldn't. It was the correct call, but it was in my opinion, the wrong call to make in a Rugby World Cup Semi-Final. Had Clerc broken his neck or not played on, I'd have ruled differently. And if it was deemed a red card, the citing comissioner could rule on it after the match which would still effectively leaves Wales without their star captain in the RWC final.

I certainly think the three week ban was too harsh. He essentially cost his team a Rugby World Cup final, that's pretty much punishment enough.

Last edited:
The thing is, if you look at Warburton and Lydiate, they often lift the player off the ground and drive them back. Which is fine, it's just in this instance it went really wrong. I can understand it being a red card, and I can understand Rolland giving the red card, I just know in my gut that if it was me reffing the match I wouldn't. It was the correct call, but it was in my opinion, the wrong call to make in a Rugby World Cup Semi-Final. Had Clerc broken his neck or not played on, I'd have ruled differently. And if it was deemed a red card, the citing comissioner could rule on it after the match which would still effectively leaves Wales without their star captain in the RWC final.

I certainly think the three week ban was too harsh. He essentially cost his team a Rugby World Cup final, that's pretty much punishment enough.

This is one sentiment that I don't agree with. I don't really consider it like the advantage rule where the context is taken into account. Serious foul play like that should be a red card no matter what the circumstances are.

I see where you are coming from with this, since I have the same feeling. Problem is that with this way of officiating, you base your decision of punishment on the aftermath. You decide based on if the tackled player is injured or not, which is the wrong way of thinking. Like someone else said: If you shoot at someone, should you go free if you miss despite it being an attempt to kill that person? I know it's a weird comparison, but it's basically the same

I see where you are coming from with this, since I have the same feeling. Problem is that with this way of officiating, you base your decision of punishment on the aftermath. You decide based on if the tackled player is injured or not, which is the wrong way of thinking. Like someone else said: If you shoot at someone, should you go free if you miss despite it being an attempt to kill that person? I know it's a weird comparison, but it's basically the same

No, but you are charged with attempted murder rather than murder, which is the legal justice systems yellow card, instead of red.

True, wrang example maybe. I don't think punishment should be determined by the severity of the result. Perhaps a ticket for speeding is a more suitable comparison. You don't get a smaller fine if your speeding doesn't result in an accident.

Ai, still not a good analogy. I give up. This matter is going to be difficult to conclude

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

In Samoa, if the player still has his head, it's only a yellow.

LOL, yep yellow for the attacker who got dumped, not the tackler. In Samoa you are expected to be able to handle extreme contact, if your soft you cant play Rugby lol.

I'm guessing you were the one that voted for the last option then lol?

Nah I havent voted.

Latest posts