• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sam Tomkins Union debut for Barbarians

Tomsey

Academy Player
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Rebels
Wigan Rugby League fullback Sam Tomkins been named in the Barbarians starting side for the match against the Wallabies. This is going to be veeeeeeeeeeery interesting. There was a lot of hype about him before the test against the Kangaroos last week so I looked at some highlights and he is pretty impressive for a kid. However he was well handled in attack and was even somewhat of a liability under Daren Lockyers towering bombs.
He has been named on the right wing, rather than fullback, which will make that less important but I still think he could be in for a shocker. Not many League players have been successful at Union, and when they were it took them a year or so to get any good. He will be more than likely playing up against Digby Ioane as well.
Here is the rest of the Barbarians lineup:
1 Eusebio Guinazu, 2 Keven Mealamu, 3 Sylvain Marconnet, 4 Simon Shaw, 5 Victor Matfield (captain), 6 Jerome Kaino, 7 Mauro Bergamasco, 8 Adam Thomson, 9 Peter Stringer, 10 Danny Cipriani, 11 Bryan Habana, 12 Stirling Mortlock, 13 Robbie Fruean, 14 Sam Tomkins, 15 Isaia Toeva, 16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Salvatore Perugini, 18 Jason White, 19 Marco Bortolami, 20 Nemia Kenatale, 21 Richard Kahui, 22 Seru Rabeni.

I hope he does well.

Hopefully he loves the atmosphere and decides to take up Rugby.

Apparently he just signed a new 5 year deal with Wigan with a clause stating that he wasn't even allowed to talk to rugby union clubs for the 1st 3 years of the contract.

I think he'll do well
Despite being an arse he's an incredible talent

here's is the wallabies line up. some interesting selections, namely o'connor @ 10 and pocock as captain. heaps of speed in the backline.
the most interesting omission ben lucas. its odd to bring an uncapped player and not even include him in the 22.

15. Adam Ashley-Cooper, 14. Lachie Turner, 13. Rob Horne, 12. Berrick Barnes, 11. Digby Ioane, 10. James O'Connor, 9. Will Genia; 8. Ben McCalman, 7. David Pocock (capt), 6. Scott Higginbotham, 5. Nathan Sharpe, 4. Rob Simmons, 3. Salesi Ma'afu, 2. Tatafu Polota-Nau, 1. James Slipper. 16. Stephen Moore, 17. Ben Alexander, 18. James Horwill, 19. Dave Dennis, 20. Matt Hodgson, 21. Nick Phipps, 22. Ben Tapuai

The Barbarians have got a very impressive side. Im a fan of Sam Tomkins, I think hes one of the most entertaining backs to come out of England since Jason Robinson. It'll be interesting to see how he goes in Union. Hopefully he gets some decent ball to show his attack and not having to kick, I havent seen him kick at all. Other than that its a big ask for him to shine against a team like the Wallabies but I wouldnt doubt a man of his talent having a blinder of game.

I love his running style, it's very, very smooth, massive strides.

I love his running style, it's very, very smooth, massive strides.

From what I have seen of Tomkins is that there is no disputing his skills but from my perspective he tries too many stutter steps in dangerous areas. In League that won't matter much as he isn't going to lose that ball in that contact. If he tries that out on the wing this Saturday he will get battered either straight into touch or you are going to have an Aussie player sniffing for that ball. He needs to show that he has a all round rugby brain as a sole RL brain just isn't going to work.

That's why he's being played out wide cos as far as he knows he has no kicking game, I don't think I've ever seen him kick a ball.

I think its great honour for Sam, Wigan and Rugby League.

Latest posts