• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 2] New Zealand vs. Ireland (19/10/2019)

I have no idea how anyone can think the Irish are favorites in this match. NZ haven't lost a game at a WC in 17 matches, and their choker tag is long gone as well. Ireland had a bad 6 nations, a 50 point loss to England in the warm up, and lost to Japan at their own game.

Ireland need to play the game of their lives on Saturday to win this. It's possible, but imo it's very unlikely. In SA we have been dreading playing Ireland in the QF for about 2 years, but that absolutely vanished throughout the course of this year, and even more so during this WC. From the outside it just seems like Ireland peaked a year too early. Still, I hope they pull a rabbit out of the hat here.

It helps my sanity not to care about the refs.
Funnily enough I'm the other way, I have to get my expectations in check before a game so I don't get a rude awakening by a ref's subjective interpretations during a game.
I'm with @Umaga's Witness on this one, it helps to just accept it is what it is regarding referees usually, otherwise I wouldn't enjoy rugby anymore. Unlike many rugby fans I don't have strong opinions on particular refs, because I consciously don't watch them or analyse them.

It helps to be a back TBH, most of the contentious stuff happens in areas that are a mystery to me anyway.

Last edited:
They can swap with us if they want that utter clusterfuck that will be Poite and Skeen.
U need polite to stop skeen from over officiating and ruining the game. As long garces isn't there to talk polite into giving red cards u have a chance of a good game

U need polite to stop skeen from over officiating and ruining the game. As long garces isn't there to talk polite into giving red cards u have a chance of a good game
Sorry i made a mistake, Poite is touchy - Garces is ref.

In terms of the ref I would rather have had Barnes - IMO the best ref in world rugby at the minute. Fair enough we've had issues with him in the past but he sets his stall out and teams are in no doubt what's expected.

The last couple of times I've watched games with Owens reffing he has let teams away with murder at the breakdown. It helps get a flowing game but I'm not sure that's in Ireland's best interests.

In terms of the ref I would rather have had Barnes - IMO the best ref in world rugby at the minute. Fair enough we've had issues with him in the past but he sets his stall out and teams are in no doubt what's expected.

The last couple of times I've watched games with Owens reffing he has let teams away with murder at the breakdown. It helps get a flowing game but I'm not sure that's in Ireland's best interests.

The last thing any New Zealander wants in a QF is Wayne Barnes lol.

Owens and Gardner on the sideline will concern the Irish. Both police the offside rush defence quite strictly. Also a little more lee-way at the breakdown could potentially lead to less penalties for us, an avenue in which the Irish would've wanted to pursue with keeping the ball in the forwards and winning those penalties, but...

I don't really see a problem though if Ireland stay onside?

As for " Letting the All Black's cheat at the breakdown" as Luke Fitzgerald eloquently put it, is a boring narrative of the past with McCaw. Ardie has great technique and very rarely illegally challenges for the ball. Sam Cane can be questionable, but it's no worse than any other openside in the game.
A lot of wind over nothing boys. Let the game be played in good spirits!

The last thing any New Zealander wants in a QF is Wayne Barnes lol.

Actually Wayne Barnes has improve considerably over the years, so much so, I have absolutely no issues with him refereeing the finals.

He's a great example of someone who looked at their deficiencies as a ref and went and worked on them and improved them. You'll find most Kiwi's with this view now, apart from those who haven't really kept in touch with his progress or casual fans who still want to drag up 2007. I still feel he could do a better job with the offside line, but he's a fair and unbias ref.

From the refs who actually got given a quarter final Owens is the second best option so can't really have any complaints. He has his issues but what ref doesn't. I believe he still has reffed the most one score games of any ref but it is hard to forget the last two Ireland NZ games he reffed were heartbreaking losses. Still I'd be more concerned about Gardner running the line.

I'd make a comment about using Fitzgerald and Twitter to make an article but I have no doubt Joe.ie or Balls.ie will react in kind.

Luke Fitzgerald is dumb as ****, I can't stress this enough.

I think every external factor is shaping up in NZ's favour. Considering we've been building to this game (although we all thought it'd be QF4) for 11 months now, I'm not too excited. We can be good enough for whatever NZ throw at us but I just don't think we will be.

Actually Wayne Barnes has improve considerably over the years, so much so, I have absolutely no issues with him refereeing the finals.

He's a great example of someone who looked at their deficiencies as a ref and went and worked on them and improved them. You'll find most Kiwi's with this view now, apart from those who haven't really kept in touch with his progress or casual fans who still want to drag up 2007. I still feel he could do a better job with the offside line, but he's a fair and unbias ref.
Honestly I think his issues with the offside line is more to do with his hawkish tendencies at the breakdown. This makes sense in some respects as touch judges are arguable better place to watch that. Plus I think it's where most teams (breakdown) take the **** the most. I also think it's the stem of most Englands teams issues at the same location. Week in week out lots on Prem games have refs who keep a good eye on the breakdown. When at international level we get people who lets them get away with it. England teams don't know how to cope because they are used to it being reffed properly.

Luke Fitzgerald has become the embarrassing racist uncle of the Irish rugby family.

I'm both reasonably positive about this game without having any major expectations. It's one we could win if we can impose our possession game, but given the year we had and our form generally I won't be ****** off if we don't, unlike last time around. Can't say I've enjoyed the World Cup overly, and have watched very little of the neutral games with the time difference, but I hope the knockouts throw up some real crackers.

So apart from incurring the wrath of Nige, what else had a Fitzgerald been up to to get everybody p****d off at him?

Lol... wut?

Seriously... or just coz Rugga also reminds Irish people of their embarrassing racist uncle?
He attacks players like Aki and Kleyn personally for playing for Ireland, he comes out with shite like this, sweats Matt O'Connor is a good coach and a load more stupid ****. I don't think he believes in half of it, just likes the attention.

He attacks players like Aki and Kleyn personally for playing for Ireland, he comes out with shite like this, sweats Matt O'Connor is a good coach and a load more stupid ****. I don't think he believes in half of it, just likes the attention.
Ah right... so he is Rugga ;)

Latest posts