• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Quarter-Final 2] New Zealand vs. Ireland (19/10/2019)

I came out with a lot of s**** takes this week but somehow this is the one that gets disliked?

You Can't quit rugby... the Irish fans that travel to Cardiff for 6N are great. And I love the Dublin away game all the same.
NZ are a tough game for anybody.

With the AB playing like that I don't think a team should be too hard on themselves for loosing. However the way Ireland played they should be extremely disappointed, way too many simple mistakes, from handling errors, kicking, missed tackles.

Didn't know about Joe's mum, that is sad and it must be difficult to consider work as a distraction or a chore after that.

He has been Ireland's best coach.

ABs looked ominously good and they will take a lot of beating now. They are able to play at such destructive pace and keep skill levels high.

With the AB playing like that I don't think a team should be too hard on themselves for loosing.

NZ scored some nice tries in the second half when the game was done but they weren't great in the first. They made their own mistakes and gave up easy penalties. They also seemed a bit porous on the rare occasions Ireland were able to get beyond second phase. No doubt they can improve but they'll have to to beat England imo. Ireland were really bad.

NZ scored some nice tries in the second half when the game was done but they weren't great in the first. They made their own mistakes and gave up easy penalties. They also seemed a bit porous on the rare occasions Ireland were able to get beyond second phase. No doubt they can improve but they'll have to to beat England imo. Ireland were really bad.
I'm not sure about that actually, I think when you play at the pace the All Blacks did today you will make more errors than you normally do... but you make your opponents even more error-prone still. I think the All Blacks were easily as good as England today, if not a bit better.

Last edited:
Agreed, I thought these two games would've been pretty close... crazy how poor the Ozzie's and Ireland were today.
Realistically my expectations were probably missed placed as both Ireland and Aus are the out of form teams, both lost a pool game and didn't look great

Er.....I can only assume this is some bizzaro world interpretation of "weren't great". They brutalised Ireland from minute one and denied them any options at all with pace an power in attack and defence. Ireland did indeed fold but the mistakes made by Ireland were a result of the pressure applied by the All Blacks. Sexton and Murray looked like deer in headlights as all their attacking options were removed.

I suspect England will indeed provide a sterner test but England will need to be right at the top of their game to combat what we saw today. Of particular concern was the ability to get wide. Australia did that to some effect.

Hansen saying Foster is "reinvented it (the attack) coaching the best I've ever seen him coach"
interesting to give such a shining endorsement, Foster doesn't get the credit he deserves from the NZ public. Attack is tricky because even a year from out the attack becomes predictable and kinda stops evolving then all of a sudden you have to unwrap a whole new style of attack once the finals arrive. All due to the All Blacks being the most analyzed team in the world. Some great plays looking tailor made to break open the Irish defense.

side note, put Sam Canes first half in perspective, he got credited for 12 tackles, Ardie Got Credited for 14 over 80 minutes. Hope His wrist injury is only minor

I suspect England will indeed provide a sterner test but England will need to be right at the top of their game to combat what we saw today. Of particular concern was the ability to get wide. Australia did that to some effect.
I'm going to out on a limb and say I do think NZ will win next week. However I think England defensively are one the best sides out there currently. They'll give up opportunities but the ABs will have to be at their clinical best. England's attack will also be strong but apart from today it hasn't been clinical.

I'm expecting circa 20 points for both teams with the ABs just edging it. But I do think both teams will be required to bring more than they have so far and the winner will be the one who brings the most.

I'm going to out on a limb and say I do think NZ will win next week. However I think England defensively are one the best sides out there currently. They'll give up opportunities but the ABs will have to be at their clinical best. England's attack will also be strong but apart from today it hasn't been clinical.

I'm expecting circa 20 points for both teams with the ABs just edging it. But I do think both teams will be required to bring more than they have so far and the winner will be the one who brings the most.
Yeah I'd imagine next week will be very close! Right now, I can't pick a winner.

Latest posts