• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool B] Round 3 - England vs. Argentina (05/10/2019)

How the hell dis Brexit make it into this thread?! I really hoped that this would be the place where I could escape all that nightmare!!

Anyway. Back to the much more civilised rugby. See the Daly thing is still raging. I know everyone thinks he should be out, but why do we think Jones wants him in?

I can only assume he plays better within the overall system and game plan that EJ has than his competition. Unless we are suggesting that EJ just likes him personally, but can't see that being the case.

But Daly is not our problem. Our attitude and mentally as a team is. When I watched us play the last two games I just didn't feel like anyone on the pitch really wanted it. That they were all holding back, maybe fearing early injury and exit. But that's got to stop NOW. There can be no more 90% performances from here on out. Yes the Argies are much further down the world rankings but they have the ability to really trouble us. And this is now knockout stuff for them and they will come at us with everything they have. They have no other choice. If we hold back, for any reason, we may regret it.

Plus we need to put a big psychological marker down. Soundly beat the Argies in a controlled fashion and that does a seed in the minds of France. Fail to do so and risk exposing weakness.

Not sure on bench JJ has done enough for me to be 22.
3 possible sicknotes there.
Personally as a Saints fan glad to see Ludlow on bench and think he deserves it although Wilson was the safe bet.
A win to take pressure off last game is a must.
Looking forward to a tight match I think , but would prefer 20+ win .

On Daly I think the main reason he's in there is for his distribution ability. His passing game allows England to play with width that we couldn't manage with Watson at 15, and when we've got Tuilagi at 13 having another good distributor in the wide channels is important. That said, he isn't a fullback. Watson should be starting 15 with Nowell (if fit) or Cokonasiga at 14, Daly 23.

EF8k_CVWwAAdaLK

Just met Jason Robinson earlier and he said he'd been working in bits with the team and they are ready physically but not hinted they weren't ready mentally which I had feared.

On Daly I think the main reason he's in there is for his distribution ability. His passing game allows England to play with width that we couldn't manage with Watson at 15, and when we've got Tuilagi at 13 having another good distributor in the wide channels is important. That said, he isn't a fullback. Watson should be starting 15 with Nowell (if fit) or Cokonasiga at 14, Daly 23.

Your right , it'll be interesting to see who comes off when Nowell goes on, If unforced it could well be Daly with Watson going to FB ,which could be the starting combo thereafter, with Daly starting at 23. I think EJ wants Nowell to start for the differnce he brings.

Just met Jason Robinson earlier and he said he'd been working in bits with the team and they are ready physically but not hinted they weren't ready mentally which I had feared.
Has he got his boots and does he fancy a run at 15?

The 23 im happy with, obviously wilson over ludlam but either injured or rested. I dont mind.

No JJ is fair given slade needs gametime and no way manu is not getting in.

No Big Joe is also fair for the same reason with nowell.

Ford May Manu Slade Nowell Watson for the last 20/30 im hoping for.

Was hoping for Genge to start as Genge Sinks together are great then mako coming on. Marler is good reliable and great defender but doesnt offer much going forwards at all...

Wilson has only had 15mins or something, so I hope it's not a 'rest'

Marler doesn't do anything eye catching but he secures our ball well hitting plenty of rucks. If Cole had a similar workrate I would like the balance of Marler/Sinks to start and Mako-or-Genge/Cole to finish

Wilson has only had 15mins or something, so I hope it's not a 'rest'

Marler doesn't do anything eye catching but he secures our ball well hitting plenty of rucks. If Cole had a similar workrate I would like the balance of Marler/Sinks to start and Mako-or-Genge/Cole to finish
Fair point on wilson.

And yes but genge fits our power game akd when 1 2 and 8 are all strong carriers it makes a big difference going forward plus he needs the experience, i would have liked to see marler in the 18 shirt tbh. Get him some experience there just incase so the first time isnt im the QFs or later.

The 23 im happy with, obviously wilson over ludlam but either injured or rested. I dont mind.

No JJ is fair given slade needs gametime and no way manu is not getting in.

No Big Joe is also fair for the same reason with nowell.

Ford May Manu Slade Nowell Watson for the last 20/30 im hoping for.

Was hoping for Genge to start as Genge Sinks together are great then mako coming on. Marler is good reliable and great defender but doesnt offer much going forwards at all...

Argentinian scrum is there to be got at, Marler is the strongest LHP in the set piece we have. Genge/Sinkler combo weakens the scrum a bit too much IMO so can see the logic. Sinkler's scrummaging has come on to the point where he offers that much else he starts. Cole just isn't an impact bench type but can hopefully come on and do a job and keep the penalty count to zero. Youngs, off all the starting XV's form worries me the most.

Is Sanchez injured, or is there trouble in the Puma's camp?

Happy for England that they picked Ford. As long as they have at least one out of Ford and Slade on the park they'll have the creativity to convert their forward pressure into points against any opposition this tournament can offer.

Rugby please

Yeah, careful, or someone with impeccable consistency will come along and give you a warning for not staying on topic. :p

Fair point on wilson.

And yes but genge fits our power game akd when 1 2 and 8 are all strong carriers it makes a big difference going forward plus he needs the experience, i would have liked to see marler in the 18 shirt tbh. Get him some experience there just incase so the first time isnt im the QFs or later.

Good shout on Marler at TH.
Compared to where we were ~3 years ago, carrying is about the least of my worries. Starting lineup has 2, 3, 4, 7(ish), 8 and 13. In the 2016 6N we had Billy. Just Billy.

Good shout on Marler at TH.
Compared to where we were ~3 years ago, carrying is about the least of my worries. Starting lineup has 2, 3, 4, 7(ish), 8 and 13. In the 2016 6N we had Billy. Just Billy.
Yeah, I'd say that purely in terms of ball carriers we're the most stacked Tier 1 nation this WC, although SA are very close runners up. I say Tier 1 because Fiji gonna Fiji.

I think I'm right in saying that England will be the first side mathematically through to the quarters if they win on Saturday.

I think I'm right in saying that England will be the first side mathematically through to the quarters if they win on Saturday.
Predictive analytics gave that to NZ as soon as they beat SA

In what bizarro world are you living in where you think I threw a virtual punch and that you then KO'd me with some wit or sound, reasoned argument?

Most amusing. Got anything of substance to add?
In a world where i didn't bring the subject of Malvinas war to the thread yet you complain when i reply in kind.

In a world where i didn't bring the subject of Malvinas war to the thread yet you complain when i reply in kind.
Haha, you replied "in kind" to me saying Creevy's comments were in poor taste at absolute best (which I stand by, look to you and this thread) by starting a silly willy waving contest on "who won the most wars" and having a meltdown and repeatedly going at me personally offering nothing constructive and on topic? How is that even remotely comparable never mind, "in kind"... even if you were Creevy himself, which I doubt you are?

I don't think you're doing your country or team any favours. Really, unless you have something on topic to add I'm done here as I'm sure most if not all are tired of this and the evidence speaks for itself.

Haha, you replied "in kind" to me saying Creevy's comments were in poor taste at absolute best
You didnt just talk about Creevy, that's precisely the problem, you generalized: "Argentine arrogance."
On one hand you cherry-pick Creevy's phrases and assign them a meaning they didn't have and then pretend people not to look at the wording you use.
The word hypocrite comes to mind.

I don't think you're doing your country or team any favours.
You, on the other hand, are England's most illustrious ambassador since Winston.
And i never intended to do my team any favours, just to call you out on your nonsense.

I'm sure most if not all are tired of this and the evidence speaks for itself.
Get back down from that pony of yours and stop talking on behalf of others.

PS: pls, if it helps you lift that little ego of yours, keep those negative ratings coming. Want the last word too? Just ask.
Anything i can do to help.