• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC 2023 Final] New Zealand v South Africa 28/10/23 20:00 BST

I thought this Bongi saga would have a conclusion by yesterday, but it seems World Rugby are dragging their heels.

Just shows how much muscle mass players can lose once they stop playing.

I thought this Bongi saga would have a conclusion by yesterday, but it seems World Rugby are dragging their heels.
. It's too complex. And It's not just about a sanction, it's about messaging. Racism is not racism. I'm not interested in discussing that point I'm just explaining why this was a too complex a matter to be resolved quickly

Last edited:
The longer this has dragged on, the worse it looks for Bongi. If it was only the citing official's complaint, it should have been resolved by now. But the RFU's complaint has kicked this up a notch, and I suspect it's at the union level now where World Rugby is mediating between SARFU and RFU for an appropriate sanction.

Both finalists have to name their 23s tomorrow, and they still have not resolved the availability of a crucial member of the defending champion's team!! It' quite frankly not good enough!!

The longer this has dragged on, the worse it looks for Bongi. If it was only the citing official's complaint, it should have been resolved by now. But the RFU's complaint has kicked this up a notch, and I suspect it's at the union level now where World Rugby is mediating between SARFU and RFU for an appropriate sanction.

Both finalists have to name their 23s tomorrow, and they still have not resolved the availability of a crucial member of the defending champion's team!! It' quite frankly not good enough!!
Don't envy the committee with this one, pretty much damned every way really - if both sides are taken as being at their word, then which langauge is the one to trump the other?

Ultimately going to have to be a face to face and a gentlemanly handshake between both parties I think, accept that neither claim was made with malice, lost through translation or otherwise. Not sure where this can be punished without opening an even bigger can of worms (bascially racism).

I disagree, if anything it looks better for Bongi, they would have come out quickly if they had conclusive proof. Because the RFU have filed an official complaint, World Rugby now need to look at everything in even more detail. Unless he is charged today it looks like Bongi will also be allowed to play this weekend

It's going to be another close one, which is why I think who AB's pick as their substitute props will be a key. Don't know too much about Newell and Williams in the scrum compared to Laulala and Tu'ungafasi.
Also potentially the weather

Some key things for me

The all blacks didn't allow Ireland a single put in on their own scrum, with just one handling error all game
Libbok is the one who has enabled South Africa to utilize their backline effectively, Pollard starting limits this to a 12 man game in attack for them

I think who starts for South Africa at fly half is huge, but also in terms of the kicking game. England didn't have any backline players that could beat a man really, the AB's have a backline full of them. If you let Telea run in open field, or Jordan, you're asking for trouble

Also potentially the weather

Some key things for me

The all blacks didn't allow Ireland a single put in on their own scrum, with just one handling error all game
Libbok is the one who has enabled South Africa to utilize their backline effectively, Pollard starting limits this to a 12 man game in attack for them

I think who starts for South Africa at fly half is huge, but also in terms of the kicking game. England didn't have any backline players that could beat a man really, the AB's have a backline full of them. If you let Telea run in open field, or Jordan, you're asking for trouble
I think Libbok will start to release their backline, with directions from Rassie to kick long if he has to kick. His up-n-unders against the poms weren't contestable, and he wasn't directing and managing his backline effectively enough so was yanked.
I think we'll see a completely different SA game-plan on Saturday.

I'm not buying this "Springboks are too fatigued to win". There's a reason why Siya never plays a full game anymore. Other key players also don't finish a full 80 minutes. Only player who really looks tired to me is Eben Etzebeth. Rassie knows what he is doing. He has a big squad, and anyone should be able to fill in and do the job.

My post could completely backfire come Saturday evening, of course.

Nah, you are assuming there is foul play and a sanction incoming. I don't believe there is anything in it but agree WR should take the time they need for due diligence- have to be 100% sure on this one.

I'm not buying this "Springboks are too fatigued to win". There's a reason why Siya never plays a full game anymore. Other key players also don't finish a full 80 minutes. Only player who really looks tired to me is Eben Etzebeth. Rassie knows what he is doing. He has a big squad, and anyone should be able to fill in and do the job.

My post could completely backfire come Saturday evening, of course.
If players can't get up for a RWC final and v their closest, fiercest rivals then they shouldn't be playing.

As I said in the other thread I think this dragging out is worse for Bongi. I can't help thinking if this was a misunderstanding it would of been clarified already.

Did the RFU officially complain? All the reporting I saw said they could and then WR said they were invetigating the matter but no reporting of it because of the complaint.

Marler copped a rightful ban for less worse language. So its hard to see Bongi if found guilty not being given a minimal sanction.

WR need to sort this out soon if he plays Saturday, wins and then gets banned all hell will break out.

I still hope it's a misunderstanding but as said as time goes on, I'm less confident.

Based on Springbok Training photos I deduct the following

Changes first.
Faf replaces Reinach
Pollard replaces Libbok
Willie to replace Willemse (this would be strange)

Maybe just maybe they start Wiese instead of Vermeulen

Based on Springbok Training photos I deduct the following

Changes first.
Faf replaces Reinach
Pollard replaces Libbok
Willie to replace Willemse (this would be strange)

Maybe just maybe they start Wiese instead of Vermeulen
Can see a start for Kwagga maybe?

Can see a start for Kwagga maybe?
Not at all, I cant see this happening, I would be very very very suprised if this happens. We wont drop Siya, or PSdT who is probably our best player and then at 8 Wiese and Vermeulen should be tussling for the starting spot. We were shaken by our bad success rate in the air against England so thats probably the only big thing counting for Vermeulen now.

Kwagga made a hell of an impact off the bench against France. He was like a man possessed.

The Times reporting Bongi likely available for the final because WR's investigation won't complete until next week.

Latest posts