• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC 2023 Final] New Zealand v South Africa 28/10/23 20:00 BST

I'm picking the same 14 of the run-on 15 but with Rettalick starting and Whitelock off the bench, with the only other bench change being Dane Coles instead of Samisoni Taukei'aho.

If I were Rassie, I'd kick one of the reserve backs in the ankle and send him home in exchange for a hooker. Otherwise, expect the Saffers to stop the game every 10 minutes for drinks breaks, fake injuries, etc. Barnes has been warned.

Out of interest.... any particular reason why?

The overall gushing over them. How media say they are peoples second team. The haka. That I like more competition at the top and them dominating is boring. In all fairness other teams are starting to catch up which is better for the sport.

I also feel the same about Brazil in football. Thankfully other teams have been winning instead of them recently when it comes to the World Cup.

I generally like the underdog when it comes to sport.

I generally like the underdog when it comes to sport.
i do too generally, the AB's are literally the only team i support that wins more than they lose

i find that an interesting angle though as ive never considered it the dominating teams problem that they dominate....i dont expect teams to let others win as that kind of undermines the idea of a competition. I might want other teams to get better or even lose interest in a sport....but i dont generally have any ill will to the team thats doing well or because other people like them...thats hardly their fault

Springboks are being written off all over the place. Interesting.
SA play the underdog very well. Kiwis won't fall for that crap, least of all the All Blacks - they won't be lacking for motivation after the Twickers arse-reaming they received.

It's not the squad but the Boks just need to listen to Jeff Wilson to stoke the fire. The game is set up perfectly with the Boks emotionally reeling from an England-Samoa-type win and the ABs possibly in a different head space with their walkover. I can't wait for the first scrum and the weather might provide quite a few. I hope Libbok starts and he's not crushed.

Springboks are being written off all over the place. Interesting.
Easiest money in rugby is betting against the all blacks. People always think theyll do better than they do. Yea even when they were at their best the odds were still more heavily in their favour than were justified.

Easiest money in rugby is betting against the all blacks. People always think theyll do better than they do. Yea even when they were at their best the odds were still more heavily in their favour than were justified.
Many South Africans dont ever write of the All Blacks, we know from a long history of playing them and it being the biggest rivlary. But the Springboks on average are written off more than the All Balcks especially since the All Blacks golden era was not too long ago starting in 2011. I can understand why All Black fans would feel quietly confident, they only know a better win rate against the Boks since they were children. But this is also World Cup rugby, and there is a whole other can of worms that is involved here. Especially the final of a Rugby World Cup.

This Bongi investigation will galvanise the Saffers - as if they need any more motivation😤.

I'm glad the ABs are staying quiet and hopefully preparing and formulating a flexible game-plan to adapt dynamically to a backs-centric SA game-plan if the ground is firm. I think Rassie will plan to have his dangerous backs spearhead the assaults on our line, after 2 forwards-dominated hard matches, and because we will match their forwards.

Hope Barnes is up to making the tough decisions he didn't in the 37 phases Ireland launched against our line.

People thought Ireland would beat the AB's not so long ago.... roll on game day.

Not going to bother predicting. Hope its a great game, hope its well referee'd, and I hope both teams give it their all. If NZ win, all will be forgiven, if SA win, its another 4 years of hearing we don't deserve it because XYZ. At least we wont have the 'easy route to the final' one for a while. Hope it's a good game either way with nothing to overshadow it afterwards.

Last edited:
Not a clue. NZ could be the same inconsistent lot that lost comfortably to France and 'got lucky' on an off day for Ireland. Or they could be much improved with Schmidt, genuinely making strides from week to week and good enough up front to create lots of scoring opportunities just two months after being crushed by the Boks.

The Boks are even worse to predict. Frankly, they have looked second best up front on consecutive games against the other two best packs in the tournament (and historically in the game). They have looked like the oldest side in the tournament and running out of gas only to squeak out a victory due to the scrummaging of their bench versus the scrummaging of the opponent's tiring starters and the opponent's bench.

But then they should be fresh because only 7 or 8 out of their 23 plays for more than 45mins a game. Plus, the ABs won't offer the same contest up front as France, or as England in the rain. So the Boks should be favourites whether they go down the more conservative and reliable Pollard route or the more creative but less reliable Libbok route.

Could be a nailbiter or could be won by 30 points either way. Not a clue.

To be honest, the real romantic final would have been Ireland v France, or to have England rise from the ashes and roll up for their tilt.

Foregoing that, the final needs to be entertaining. It will be tense, but it needs to be entertaining, and with the rain all week it's unfortunate that free running might be missing.

Frankly I'm not that fussed to get another trophy, but I don't really want SA to get another one either 😂.

Let rugby be the winner on the day.

Not a clue. NZ could be the same inconsistent lot that lost comfortably to France and 'got lucky' on an off day for Ireland. Or they could be much improved with Schmidt, genuinely making strides from week to week and good enough up front to create lots of scoring opportunities just two months after being crushed by the Boks.

The Boks are even worse to predict. Frankly, they have looked second best up front on consecutive games against the other two best packs in the tournament (and historically in the game). They have looked like the oldest side in the tournament and running out of gas only to squeak out a victory due to the scrummaging of their bench versus the scrummaging of the opponent's tiring starters and the opponent's bench.

But then they should be fresh because only 7 or 8 out of their 23 plays for more than 45mins a game. Plus, the ABs won't offer the same contest up front as France, or as England in the rain. So the Boks should be favourites whether they go down the more conservative and reliable Pollard route or the more creative but less reliable Libbok route.

Could be a nailbiter or could be won by 30 points either way. Not a clue.
Only team that will pull away is NZ. Boks have shown now if it's close you can't count your chickens. Abs will want to Mount Smart and kill the game in the first 30. But finals are funny things, and so is defense.

Many South Africans dont ever write of the All Blacks, we know from a long history of playing them and it being the biggest rivlary. But the Springboks on average are written off more than the All Balcks especially since the All Blacks golden era was not too long ago starting in 2011. I can understand why All Black fans would feel quietly confident, they only know a better win rate against the Boks since they were children. But this is also World Cup rugby, and there is a whole other can of worms that is involved here. Especially the final of a Rugby World Cup.

I don't know of any NZ fans writing off the Boks either. There's a bit of optimism with the momentum we're carrying into the game, but I don't think anyone is getting carried away.

I think most NZ fans know - after the painful lessons of 91 through 07 - that WCs are quite different and that rankings or form count for little at the pointy end.

I don't know of any NZ fans writing off the Boks either. There's a bit of optimism with the momentum we're carrying into the game, but I don't think anyone is getting carried away.

I think most NZ fans know - after the painful lessons of 91 through 07 - that WCs are quite different and that rankings or form count for little at the pointy end.
yeah, i know far more people that claim they will be watching from behind their couch through their fingers rather than out ready to party

It's going to be another close one, which is why I think who AB's pick as their substitute props will be a key. Don't know too much about Newell and Williams in the scrum compared to Laulala and Tu'ungafasi.

Latest posts