• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Russian rugby

I can not catch your idea. If it was only in physics, believe me - we would have been in the world's rugby elite. You probably did not know that Russia for a very short time has become a leader for themselves in a strange kind of sport - Canadian hockey. This sport have appeared in 1946, when was the cold war and the government has set a goal to overtake the West. And for a few decades, the number of victories in the World Championships, the Olympic Games ... We caught up with Canada and you may know that a lot of Russian NHL stars.And vice versa rugby in 1946, recognized the bourgeois sport and banned in Russia. And it could be the other way around, and then you would not write such nonsense here.

I can not catch your idea. If it was only in physics, believe me - we would have been in the world's rugby elite. You probably did not know that Russia for a very short time has become a leader for themselves in a strange kind of sport - Canadian hockey. This sport have appeared in 1946, when was the cold war and the government has set a goal to overtake the West. And for a few decades, the number of victories in the World Championships, the Olympic Games ... We caught up with Canada and you may know that a lot of Russian NHL stars.And vice versa rugby in 1946, recognized the bourgeois sport and banned in Russia. And it could be the other way around, and then you would not write such nonsense here.

This... dude Russians are beasts and produce some phenomenal athletes.

Nobody more intimidating in his prime then this guy:

2550507-fedor.jpg

or this guy if we are talking hockey:
ovechkin2.jpg

Not sure how many Slavs or Eastern European people you know or have ever met. I have met quite a few and they are all big, intimidating physical specimens.

This... dude Russians are beasts and produce some phenomenal athletes.

Nobody more intimidating in his prime then this guy:

2550507-fedor.jpg

or this guy if we are talking hockey:
ovechkin2.jpg

Not sure how many Slavs or Eastern European people you know or have ever met. I have met quite a few and they are all big, intimidating physical specimens.
So are the Canadians but do you see them play rugby?

When I say voilence I am referring to the physical side of the game. You are going to wrestle against 8 1,92 to 2 meter monsters weighing from 100 to 130kg's for a ball for 80 minutes. Not 1 for 5 minutes

So are the Canadians but do you see them play rugby?

When I say voilence I am referring to the physical side of the game. You are going to wrestle against 8 1,92 to 2 meter monsters weighing from 100 to 130kg's for a ball for 80 minutes. Not 1 for 5 minutes

LOL I really don`t get your argument, basically you are saying South Africans and NZer`s are physically bigger then others which is why they win because they control the physical aspects of the game. I would very much dispute that. You win because you grow up playing the game and therefore produce more players with the elite skills necessary to play at the upper echelons of the sport. It is no different then if we played you at Ice Hockey only the gap between us and you in that sport is much much greater. Size and strength has nothing to do with it and if it were all about that Canada, Russia and the good ole USA would be near the Upper Echelon`s of the sport as we produce a tonne of big, strong and powerful athletes as witnessed in Canada with both the NHL & CFL.

Btw White Bear do Russians still talk about the 1972 Summit Series between Canada & the Soviet Union. Greatest hockey played ever IMO

LOL I really don`t get your argument, basically you are saying South Africans and NZer`s are physically bigger then others which is why they win because they control the physical aspects of the game. I would very much dispute that. You win because you grow up playing the game and therefore produce more players with the elite skills necessary to play at the upper echelons of the sport. It is no different then if we played you at Ice Hockey only the gap between us and you in that sport is much much greater. Size and strength has nothing to do with it and if it were all about that Canada, Russia and the good ole USA would be near the Upper Echelon`s of the sport as we produce a tonne of big, strong and powerful athletes as witnessed in Canada with both the NHL & CFL.
Em no. You can build rugby fields, give them coaches and throw kids a ball in some country it still won't make you good. You need muscle and body fat to take the hits. You can't gym players taller. Only add muscle and fat.

Athletes in the NFL are breed for short stints not endurance. That size and weight they wont last 30 minutes in a rugby game and no the US avg height is 5'9.

If you look at the Kiwi's with Samoan background especially those with a European (White Kiwi) and Samoan parent you can see the healthy living of the Samoan culture and the length of the Europeans is a perfect rugby machine. If you aim them at smaller guy you have your size mismatch and you break defenses. NZ do it very well with Nonu and Kaino.

I know the Canadians are tough as hell. Jebb Sinclair fitted right into the Stormers and into WP setup fitting pefectly to the way we play here. He even knocked the **** out of a Sharks players lol

Em no. You can build rugby fields, give them coaches and throw kids a ball in some country it still won't make you good. You need muscle and body fat to take the hits. You can't gym players taller. Only add muscle and fat.

Athletes in the NFL are breed for short stints not endurance. That size and weight they wont last 30 minutes in a rugby game and no the US avg height is 5'9.

If you look at the Kiwi's with Samoan background especially those with a European (White Kiwi) and Samoan parent you can see the healthy living of the Samoan culture and the length of the Europeans is a perfect rugby machine. If you aim them at smaller guy you have your size mismatch and you break defenses. NZ do it very well with Nonu and Kaino.

I know the Canadians are tough as hell. Jebb Sinclair fitted right into the Stormers and into WP setup fitting pefectly to the way we play here. He even knocked the **** out of a Sharks players lol

Yes but there are 316 Million Americans and 143.5 Million Russians!!! Compared to 53 Million South Africans(who's average height is actually much lower than the United States anyways) and 4.5 Million NZers(who's average height is only slightly higher than the US's). Who do you think has the bigger pool of large people from which to draw on?

I have no idea what your argument is...obviously size is a factor in producing a world class rugby side, but your dismissal of skill set and growing up with the game is comical, how well do you think a bunch of 6'8" 260 pound sprinters would be if they'd never touched a rugby ball ever before than went up against an average sized team of veteran players?

Last edited:
Yes but there are 316 Million Americans and 143.5 Million Russians!!! Compared to 53 Million South Africans(who's average height is actually much lower than the United States anyways) and 4.5 Million NZers(who's average height is only slightly higher than the US's). Who do you think has the bigger pool of large people from which to draw on?

I have no idea what your argument is...obviously size is a factor in producing a world class rugby side, but your dismissal of skill set and growing up with the game is comical, how well do you think a bunch of 6'8" 260 pound sprinters would be if they'd never touched a rugby ball ever before than went up against an average sized team of veteran players?

This. Somebody like Mark Cueto for example doesn't possess that much extraordinary natural gifts, but he is the leading Premiership try scorer of all time and has had a much more successful career than many a super fast, strong, giant wingers based on his ability to the skills well and read the game and have a good knowledge of it.

I'd rather have Leigh Halfpenny who is lacking in the natural physical talent department (speed, agility, size and power etc), but has worked hard on his skills and has a good rugby brain ahead of a Tom James who has all the sheer natural athletic ability, but no brain or skills.

Also national average population is rubbish. Japan has a reputation for being small, other countries may have a higher average, but with a massive population they would have a lot more people over 200cm than New Zealand for example.

This. Somebody like Mark Cueto for example doesn't possess that much extraordinary natural gifts, but he is the leading Premiership try scorer of all time and has had a much more successful career than many a super fast, strong, giant wingers based on his ability to the skills well and read the game and have a good knowledge of it.

I'd rather have Leigh Halfpenny who is lacking in the natural physical talent department (speed, agility, size and power etc), but has worked hard on his skills and has a good rugby brain ahead of a Tom James who has all the sheer natural athletic ability, but no brain or skills.

Also national average population is rubbish. Japan has a reputation for being small, other countries may have a higher average, but with a massive population they would have a lot more people over 200cm than New Zealand for example.

It's almost cosmic justice that this disscussion happened in the Russian rugby thread home to the last RWC's smallest player Yanyushkin, who ended up being one of the cult favourites of the tournament and secured his nations first ever RWC try....

Last edited by a moderator:
Transfers from abroad to Russian clubs in this summer:

Campbell Johnstone from Ospreys to Krasny Yar
http://www.itsrugby.co.uk/player-1726.html
Darren Morris to Kuban (last club Northampton Saints)
http://www.itsrugby.co.uk/player-1087.html
Karolis Navickas from Bordeauxe to Krasny Yar
http://www.itsrugby.co.uk/player-26231.html
Craig Clare from Manawatu to Krasny Yar
http://www.itsrugby.co.uk/player_4643.html
David Kacharava from Rodez to Enisey-STM
http://www.itsrugby.co.uk/player-5478.html

Russian-Australian Bear Adam Byrnes finished his playing career.

Probably, from the point of view of the development of rugby in Russia is good. They will train our coaches and at least one Russian player will each year is in the Academy of English top club. I hope this cooperation will affect the inclusion of the VVA and other Russian clubs in the Amlin Cup, may help to finish the stadium in Monino. And it would be useful to hold an annual tournament between the VVA and Saracens in Russia and England (for example, in the pre-season period). From the point of view of the ideology of the new emblem (with islam symbols and american F16) honestly say I was tired obsnyat Anglo-Saxons our point of view. One gets the feeling that somebody zombiruet them and they can not think for yourself like kids. If interested look at regbinetvork (a few of my posts on this topic in the topics of the VVA).

honestly say I was tired obsnyat Anglo-Saxons our point of view. One gets the feeling that somebody zombiruet them
To grasp your idea we need a bit of clarification:
- what is "obsnyat'?
- what is 'zombiruet"?
- who the heck are "Anglo-Saxons" you refer to? :D

-explain
-do zombies
-English people is in the narrow sense, or the British, Americans, Australians ... in the broadest sense of the term. Our version of the concept "ruskies".

prl.png

Ranking PRL 2013 (regular season)

1 Krasny Yar..............83
2 Enisey-STM.............83
3 VVA.......................61
4 Strela.....................52
------------------------
5 Kuban.....................44
6 Slava......................42
7 Novokuznetsk...........28
8 Fili..........................21
9 Spartak...................19