• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby quiz question

Marcell Coetzee... Not sure who's record was broken.

Coetzee is a wild guess though

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Marcell Coetzee... Not sure who's record was broken.

Coetzee is a wild guess though

I left out a detail in the question.

Who this year broke the record for most substitute appearances in an international career and whose record did he break?

So it's over an entire international career, so more experienced than Coetzee.

Weepu. I remember it being mentioned at the time (I think it was the Welsh test?). Not sure whose record he broke though - I remember Jeremy Paul had a lot of caps off the bench, so I will go for him. I would imagine both Hore and Mealamu would be quite high up that list too, as they have both spent a bit of time as bench players....

Last edited:
Weepu. I remember it being mentioned at the time (I think it was the Welsh test?). Not sure whose record he broke though - I remember Jeremy Paul had a lot of caps off the bench, so I will go for him.....

Correct. Weepu broke the record this year and in his 69 caps, 45 of them were from the bench more than any other player. He spent the majority of his early international career behind Byron Kelleher and then when Kelleher left for France he spent time behind Jimmy Cowan who was first choice for a while.

Jeremy Paul is joint fourth on list of most substitute appearances, with bench appearances 38 from 72 caps, just behind Ronan O'Gara who is third on the list. So close, but not quite.

Here's one that not even ESPN Scrum have:

Which player have represented the following teams:
Currie Cup: Western Province, Lions, Cheetahs, Sharks, Blue Bulls and Boland
Super Rugby: Bulls, Sharks, Cats & Stormers
NH: Grenoble, Northampton, Bath
Other: Southern Kings

Puke Watson

Here's one that not even ESPN Scrum have:

Which player have represented the following teams:
Currie Cup: Western Province, Lions, Cheetahs, Sharks, Blue Bulls and Boland
Super Rugby: Bulls, Sharks, Cats & Stormers
NH: Grenoble, Northampton, Bath
Other: Southern Kings

Wylie Human

Question: Who are the players circled in this picture?

big+guy+little+guy.png

The previous question still remains by the way. Piri Weepu broke the record for most substitute appearances last year, whose record did he break?

Mine was Derek Quinnell (Llanelli RFC, Barbarians, Lions)

For Weepu, is it Ruan Pienaar? Has to be a halfback. Peel is up there as well.

Poitenaud and Michelak probably cadets 1 or 2 Stade Toulouse me thinks.

Correct.

Mine was Derek Quinnell (Llanelli RFC, Barbarians, Lions)

For Weepu, is it Ruan Pienaar? Has to be a halfback. Peel is up there as well.

Pienaar is 8th on the list. I'll give you a clue as to who was the previous record holder for most substituted, he played front row.

Drawing a blank here.
van der Linde has made quite a few bench appearances, but I feel he is a bit down the list.

Drawing a blank here.
van der Linde has made quite a few bench appearances, but I feel he is a bit down the list.

Another clue then, a front rower and his international career spanned 1994-2002.

He has played in the same team as CJ van der Linde at some stage of his career.

I was thinking along those lines. I would have probably guessed Bennett though.
I remember Bennett's 50th cap (against Ireland) and I know he had started more than a dozen or so times, so he might be a bit south on the substitute count.

I remember Bennett's 50th cap (against Ireland) and I know he had started more than a dozen or so times, so he might be a bit south on the substitute count.

Not the substitute question, your earlier question about who had beaten NZ with three separate teams.

In regards to the substitute question, someone English? Leonard? Complete guess though.

Edit. Not sure how that would tie together with playing with CJ van der Linde mind.

van der Linde was for duck's question.
Mine was a Welsh player who had beaten NZ on three teams, and Wales was not one of them. It isn't necessarily capped.
(I have answered this, but if anybody hasn't seen it wants to guess, go ahead.)

@Dull. Got you mate. My bad. I had two tabs of this thread open with two separate questions/answers.

Last edited:

Latest posts