• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Romain Poite's credibility

Just watched this world class referee in the Oz / England pool game and he once again was shown to be completely incompetent and inconsistent with his interpretation of what is happening on the field and the laws of the game.
Can someone please offer him a highly incentivised long term contract to ref school games in rural Mongolia.

Just watched this world class referee in the Oz / England pool game and he once again was shown to be completely incompetent and inconsistent with his interpretation of what is happening on the field and the laws of the game.
Can someone please offer him a highly incentivised long term contract to ref school games in rural Mongolia.

Unfair, he had a good game, refereed the scrum well, which was most important.

While England deserved to lose, Poite did not have a good game. Scrum was the only part he got right consistently.

Thought Poite was pretty good but was a bit inconsistent at times, especially the ruck.
Aussie jacklers were allowed far more time over the ball than we were the one or two times we actually got there first.
Also to not card the hit on Robshaw, when two others (Farrell and the Samoan #8 who I've forgotten the name of) were carded today.

Was the most 'intact' scrummaging I've seen from the overhead camera. Usually the flankers creep up so far that it looks like a front row of 5, but this was crazily well organised (guessing it may have something to do with the extra scrutiny from 'experts' who've been commentating in papers for the last week.)

He was consistently inconsistent in the England vs Australia match. He gave Pocock so much time at the rucks to turn over the ball, but when England went on to do the exact same thing, he penalised them immediately.

Poite and Shaun Veldsman does not make a good pair as ref and TMO together. Why give the England 10 a yellow for a shoulder charge, but not to Hooper??

I'm just glad it wasn't yet again a match where SA was involved.

After today's performance by Poite in the Wales V England game I think it's time to re-open this docket with a question:-

Who has been the worst International referee in the professional era?

I'm saying it's a coin toss between this clown and Steve Walsh.

I'm saying it's a coin toss between this clown and Steve Walsh.
Whilst Walsh was appalling, I do think post the 2013 Wales V England match something clicked within him and he actually became a pretty good referee (although it was only a year and a half after that).

I'd say Poite is good shout don't know a single nation that hasn't been on the wrong end of him, the only good thing is I don't think he decides games through it.

Overall Steve Walsh wasn't the worst referee in the pro era but he was horrible when refereeing England. After 2003 we hardly won any games under him. i've never rated Jaco Peyper, I think he's let a lot of things go in the past.

Whilst Walsh was appalling, I do think post the 2013 Wales V England match something clicked within him and he actually became a pretty good referee (although it was only a year and a half after that).

I'd say Poite is good shout don't know a single nation that hasn't been on the wrong end of him, the only good thing is I don't think he decides games through it.
except when he wrongly gave Bismarck Du Plessis a red card for a legitimate tackle on Dan Carter, leaving the Boks to play with 14 men for 60 minutes of the match. That decision alone, decided that game...

Latest posts