• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ripia Signs With The Force

ranger

First XV
Club or Nation
Bordeaux
New Zealand rugby has lost talented inside back Willie Ripia to Australia, with his signing to the Western Force today.

Ripia will play with the Force for the next two Super rugby seasons after signing on as a foreign development player. The Force said he had committed his international future to Australian rugby.

Ripia, 24, has played in 30 Super rugby matches, 29 of them for the Wellington-based Hurricanes this season. He starred in Taranaki's 33-23 win over Waikato in a national championship match yesterday, kicking 15 points.

"It was no secret that finding a quality flyhalf was top of the list in our off season recruiting and in Willie we believe we have achieved just that," RugbyWA chief Vern Reid said tonight.

"Willie is an exciting young player who has the added benefit of experience at Super rugby level. He has something special about him and will add that 'X' factor to our attack.

Ripia said getting game and playing in his preferred position at first five-eighth was a huge incentive for him to shift to Perth.

"I've been in and around the New Zealand system for a while now and thought it was time to challenge myself and my football," he said in a statement. "I think this is the right move personally and I'm determined to prove it'll be the right move for the Force as well.

"In the time I spent looking at the club and meeting the people there I could see the great culture they've built, that is something I'm really big on. It was definitely one of the big drivers for me to sign on."

He made his Super rugby debut for the Highlanders as a substitute against the Force in 2006 and was the starting pivot for the Hurricanes when the Force travelled to Wellington earlier this year.

Ripia, who played for the New Zealand Maori in their wins against England and Ireland this year, also played for New Zealand in the under 19 and under 21 grades.

He said he would be delighted to pull on the Australian jersey should the opportunity arise, but his first aim was to help the Force improve their Super status.

"I haven't given a lot of thought about much else other than wanting to do my best for the Force. If I can be consistently good for my club then other opportunities might come around but I'm focused on doing a job for my team right now," he said.

There is someone, somewhere in Perth who thinks he has made a steal in grabbing a player with "X-factor" to run his backline... The same guy will have no job this time next year, or at least his talent scout portfolio taken off him. Ripia is as average as you will find.

Ahhh thats a bit harsh I think he's a good player and the Force are a good team who need a bit more cosistency, hopefully Ripia can help out with that especially now that they've lost Giteau. All the best to the young kiwi I say.

There is someone, somewhere in Perth who thinks he has made a steal in grabbing a player with "X-factor" to run his backline... The same guy will have no job this time next year, or at least his talent scout portfolio taken off him. Ripia is as average as you will find.

Haha, good call. You could measure his x-factor with an eye dropper. I'd have done more to sign David Hill over signing Repia. Still, it's kind of in a round-about way, good for the Canes, as it means Cruden is almost guarenteed a starting position, with maybe Fili as the backup (or with the way he's playing, and all my dreams coming true, perhaps Tomasi Cama at least in the wider training squad :D)?
Don't get me wrong, Repia is not bad, he just isn't going to do anything above the standard. He'll produce few thrills or moments of magic.

Has Cama ever done anything outside of Sevens?

Has Cama ever done anything outside of Sevens?

Yep he had a good game last week for the Manawatu Turbo's against some team but a few days ago his team got axed 77 something. I was surprised though to see him play 15s in the ITM as a 1st five.

Well I wish him the best. Don't think the results of the WF will change drastically

Yep he had a good game last week for the Manawatu Turbo's against some team but a few days ago his team got axed 77 something. I was surprised though to see him play 15s in the ITM as a 1st five.

He's only playing first-five as the top 2 options are unavailable (Cruden with the AB's, Isaac Thomson injured). He generally plays further out (centre or wing), but can also cover halfback - he's a useful guy to have in the squad!

I would make a Star Wars joke about him joining "The Force" but it would just get a luke-warm reception.

Oh dear that was Hans down the worst joke ever

I would make a Star Wars joke about him joining "The Force" but it would just get a luke-warm reception.

Oh dear that was Hans down the worst joke ever

Yoda had to have thought long and hard to come up with a joke like that bristol :lol:

Awesome now we won't have to put up with Ripia in the Hurricanes. Feel sorry for Taranaki thou they still have to put up with him for this season. Good luck to him thou.

oh no, i've run out of chew-bacco.(chewing tobacco.) HA!
i'll go pick up so more from the darth-maul. HA!
my aunt passed away, i'm still grievous. HA!
remember Mohamad Ali? he's an x-fighter. HA!

See, in the course of 1 post I have completley turned the point of the thread away from where it was supposed to be.

Latest posts