• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ring fencing premiership and championship

It's staggering how poorly run the RFU is, tbf
Unbelievable it's not like there aren't any kind of blue prints abroad which could be tailored, though I do get when all is said and done it is a minority sport, that really needs addressing before much can change, chicken and egg really. Whilst not strictly in the their hands ensuring the 6 nations is accessible to all is pretty important, not saying FTA has to remain but putting it behind a paywall only the minority have access to won't help.

I went to my first Championship game a couple of weeks ago, London Scottish V Cornish Pirates, and watched a great game and had a great time and I'm looking forward to going back more frequently next season. It's so disappointing to see what can only be a concerted effort by the RFU to diminish the quality of the Championship to such an extent that there can no longer be any legitimate calls for promotion as there will be no one near the level required to step up.

What do the championship clubs want exactly?
Fairer distribution of funding.
Genuine chance at promotion.
Fairer funding if they get promoted.
More support with government loans they were forced to take after the RFU unilaterally slashed their budgets and then didn't put it back up as promised.
More say in decisions that aren't forced on them.

Fairer funding if they get promoted.
More support with government loans they were forced to take after the RFU unilaterally slashed their budgets and then didn't put it back up as promised.
More say in decisions that aren't forced on them.
But what numbers?
I see banded about the pro d2 like that's even relevant to the situation in England
I certainly don't support the refugees here but I would like to know what the Champ clubs starting point in terms of figures? Like they must know how much cut they want etc

What do the championship clubs want exactly?
To get treated differently to the rest of the English game and get more free handouts.
How would increasing the disparity between their free handout and the partial travelling costs that the other 2000+ clubs in the union receive make it fairer?
It exists. It's just that nobody since Bristol has been prepared to build a squad and infrastructure necessary to do it.

Bristol didn't really need to build it did they.

Other clubs aren't so fortunate.
They didn't need to physically build a ground to meet the MSCs, because they acquired it. I imagine that they had to build the rest of the infrastructure that I would associate with being Premiership ready (coaches, backroom / medical staff, etc).

To get treated differently to the rest of the English game and get more free handouts.

How would increasing the disparity between their free handout and the partial travelling costs that the other 2000+ clubs in the union receive make it fairer?

It exists. It's just that nobody since Bristol has been prepared to build a squad and infrastructure necessary to do it.
So only the premiership clubs should get these free handouts then and it's absolutely fine for them to be treated differently from the other 2000 plus clubs?

I suppose it comes down to whether you want a professional second tier or not

So only the premiership clubs should get these free handouts then and it's absolutely fine for them to be treated differently from the other 2000 plus clubs?

I suppose it comes down to whether you want a professional second tier or not
Purely playing devil's advocate here, but the premiership clubs don't get free hand-outs. They get negotiated player release.

Latest posts