Rebels Super15 star to play for Hawke's Bay

TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
Former Australian rugby league winger Luke Rooney who recently signed with the Melbourne Rebels in the Super 15 will warm up for the Super 15 by playing in the ITM Cup.

New Zealand National Provincial Championship is now known as the ITM Cup and Rooney will play for Hawke's Bay province this season.

Rooney was a recent signing with new Super 15 team the Melbourne Rebels and joined them after spending two years with the French union club Toulon.

Rooney can play wing or fullback and has played 140 matches for Penrith in Australia's National Rugby League and six tests for the Kangaroos before he made the switch to rugby union in 2008.

http://www.rugbyweek.com/news/article.asp?id=26402

He will be a good signing for Hawke's Bay - they needed to get another quality fullback now that Dagg is with the AB's. When Dagg comes back I assume Rooney will shift onto one wing with Guildford on the other - a very potent back three!

He will be a good signing for Hawke's Bay - they needed to get another quality fullback now that Dagg is with the AB's. When Dagg comes back I assume Rooney will shift onto one wing with Guildford on the other - a very potent back three!

That is a very likely scenario - I just hope that Guildford /Rooney manage to develop the intuitive understanding and timing that Guildford/Dagg have shown in the past. And yes all three together should give the Magpies heaps of reasons to spin it wide....... maybe an exciting Magpies season lies ahead!!

They already have another quality fullback in Gillies Kaka. Trust me this kid is going to be huge.

They already have another quality fullback in Gillies Kaka. Trust me this kid is going to be huge.

While I don't doubt that Kaka has talent, he has yet to play this level of rugby - whether he is a quality fullback at this level has yet to be determined. I'd assume Kaka will be behind Rooney, Guilford, and Kupa (and Dagg when available) in terms of Hawke's Bays outside backs at the moment.

Wait, this is a bit of a non issue isn't it? Zac Guildford may well be playing in the Commonwealth Games.

Wait, this is a bit of a non issue isn't it? Zac Guildford may well be playing in the Commonwealth Games.

Yeah he may be - not sure how many weeks off the ITM cup the sevens players are getting though. I was actually expecting to see Kaka in the extended sevens squad, as he was by all accounts exceptional in the national sevens tournament this year.

* The full team for Friday's 2.30pm match:

Mark Jackman; Gillies Kaka, Richard Buckman, Jason Kupa, Ryan McLeod, Andrew Horrell, Chris Eaton, Mike Coman, Hugh Reed, Leighton Price, Bryn Evans, Michael Johnson, Jodi Allen, Ben Tameifuna, Josh Keys.

Substitutes: Forwards, Whetu Barber, Anthony Perenise, Ross Kennedy, Brody Retallick, Trent Boswell-Wakefield; backs, Michael Ruru, Daniel Kirkpatrick, Jason Shoemark, Star Timu.

Unavailable: Zac Guildford, Clint Newland, Karl Lowe (all on leave), Kahn Fotuali'i, Isaac Paewai, Hika Elliot, Adam Bradey (all injured).

While I don't doubt that Kaka has talent, he has yet to play this level of rugby - whether he is a quality fullback at this level has yet to be determined. I'd assume Kaka will be behind Rooney, Guilford, and Kupa (and Dagg when available) in terms of Hawke's Bays outside backs at the moment.

Behind his cousin Guildford is a givein, seen as hes an all black and all. But Rooney hasn't shown anything in NZ yet and Kaka has made Kupa, along with everyone else, look foolish in the HB club competition. Everytime he touches the ball the whole crowd holds their breath and waits for him to do something amazing, its very much like Dagg in the last few AB tests. It would be criminal to keep him off the field given the way hes dominated the club scene.

It looks like he has been given the 14 jersey for the first preseason game so we can see how he goes there.

Behind his cousin Guildford is a givein, seen as hes an all black and all. But Rooney hasn't shown anything in NZ yet and Kaka has made Kupa, along with everyone else, look foolish in the HB club competition. Everytime he touches the ball the whole crowd holds their breath and waits for him to do something amazing, its very much like Dagg in the last few AB tests. It would be criminal to keep him off the field given the way hes dominated the club scene.

It looks like he has been given the 14 jersey for the first preseason game so we can see how he goes there.

highly agree.. he was awesome in the prems division this year

For new Hawke's Bay Magpies rugby halfback Isaac Paewai, yesterday's win against Taranaki was like old times.

Five years ago in fact. That was when Paewai and new Magpies first five-eighth Daniel Kirkpatrick played together in the Napier Boys' High School 1st XV.

Despite the pair both playing for the same club, Petone in Wellington, for the last three years they never got the chance to play alongside each other.

"Daniel was always doing his thing for the Lions," Paewai told SportToday after the Magpies 38-34 pre-season win at Napier's McLean Park.

The duo certainly made up for lost time. As second half substitutes they sparked the hosts' comeback after Taranaki led 17-7 at halftime.

Paewai impressed with his service, option taking and one crucial try-saving tackle. However, he knows where he stands in the pecking order for the Magpies No 9 jersey come ITM Cup time - behind Crusaders star Kahn Fotuali'i and incumbent Chris Eaton.

"I just want to put as much pressure on them as I can," said Paewai, who has been relishing his club season with Maddison Trophy competition leaders Havelock North.

"We've been playing some attractive rugby and it was good to do that with the Bay side," said Paewai, who has been fully focused on rugby for the past month after being laid off from his job at Progressive Meats.

As the halftime score suggests, there wasn't much attractive about the Magpies first half display. Numerous soft turnovers allowed the visitors to dominate this period and the hosts either opted against taking kickable penalties or bombed try-scoring opportunities.

The Bay's starting first five-eighth Andrew Horrell was unlucky to lose the ball forward close to the line in the 17th minute. There were several other instances of the hosts giving possession to Taranaki too easily in the confrontation area.

Richard Buckman may have started the game at centre for the Magpies but he scored all three of his tries when playing in the right wing berth vacated by Jason Kupa who collected a hamstring injury in the second quarter.

His first try followed a powerful surge from his Tech clubmate and starting openside flanker Hugh Reed. His second put the Magpies in front for the first time at 19-17 with 18 minutes remaining after clever build-up work from his flatmate and starting fullback Mark Jackman.

With six minutes remaining Taranaki led 34-19. The Bay's never-say die approach had to be commended.

Replacement centre, New Zealand under-20 world champion Star Timu, scored in the 75th minute after a clever kick and chase move from excitement machine Gillies Kaka who certainly made the most of his attacking opportunities.

Kirkpatrick landed the conversion and just minutes later sparked an attack and produced a clever miss pass move which Buckman completed to have the hosts trailing 34-31.

Some more good work from Kaka resulted in another substitute, Jason Shoemark, scoring the matchwinning try - much to the delight of the 1300 Magpies fans.

Apart from the gifting of three of Taranaki's four tries, Magpies co-coach Peter Russell was happy with his troops' display.

"That never say die approach was particularly pleasing," said Russell. "While we took a while to get going in the first half we got a few more experienced players out there in the second half, got more direct with the ball and it paid off."

Like his Taranaki counterpart and former Hurricanes mentor Colin Cooper, Russell stressed the importance of giving fringe players and youngsters in particular game time in this pre-season outings.

"We should never have lost it, though, after leading 34-19 with six minutes to go," said Cooper.

His team included two sons of former Hurricanes and Taranaki loosie Kevin "Smiley Barrett" - first half first five-eighth Beauden and second half replacement Kane.

Hawke's Bay Magpies 38 (Richard Buckman 3, Mark Jackman, Star Timu, Jason Shoemark tries; Daniel Kirkpatrick 3, Andrew Horrell cons), Taranaki 34 (Samuela Vunisa, David Smith, Waisake Ratunideuba, Kylem O'Donnell tries; Beauden Barrett 2, Cody Rei 2 cons; Barrett, Rei pens). HT: Taranaki 17-7.

Looks like Kaka had an alright first outing for the Magpies. I hope Rooney sits on the bench this season

cool and my mate scored a try in his first match for the Magpies..

Looks like Kaka had an alright first outing for the Magpies. I hope Rooney sits on the bench this season
Thank **** your no where way near the selection panel then.

Any game where Buckman (who was slow as a mule at Boys High) can score a hat-trick on the wing is not a good indicator.

Do any NPC / ITM followers remember Davis Norman who played for Hawkes Bay?

Thank **** your no where way near the selection panel then.

Any game where Buckman (who was slow as a mule at Boys High) can score a hat-trick on the wing is not a good indicator.

Was coarse language really necessary there.. You hurt my feelings a little bit.

Back on the topic, this one game is not the only indicator i have used, Kaka has been consistently outstanding. Which is the best option for Hawkes Bay rugby: The 19 year old prodigy who has excelled at every opportunity and has signed up with HB for the foreseen future. Or a 27 year old recent league convert who is only around for one season to "warm up" before the super 15. Think about it..

I don't really care if you knew Buckman in school, he was either marking Andre Taylor or David Smith and he managed to score some tries, he must have been doing something right.

Do any NPC / ITM followers remember Davis Norman who played for Hawkes Bay?

I doubt many people will, he played 2nd division NPC which isn't really publicized at all. The difference between the NPC and the NPC 2nd division is like the Premiership and the Cocacola championship in English football.
The games he played weren't televised, nor were they reported on outside of Hawkes Bay so he was pretty anonymous.
That being said he was a solid player and could have made the step up to first division in different circumstances

Rooney has been benched for the next game

Hawke's Bay:
Mark Jackman; Richard Buckman, Star Timu, Gillies Kaka; Jason Shoemark, Daniel Kirkpatrick; Kahn Fotuali'i; Trent Boswell-Wakefield; Karl Lowe, Leighton Price, Ross Kennedy, Michael Johnson; Anthony Perenise, Hika Elliot (captain), Whetu Barber.

Substitutes: Forwards, Eugene Smith, Josh Keys, Brodie Retallick, Mike Coman, Hugh Reed; backs, Chris Eaton, Andrew Horrell, Billy Ropiha, Luke Rooney.

Bay of Plenty:
Nick McCashin; Lance McDonald, Ben Smith, Jason Hona; Grant McQuoid, Phil Burleigh; Chad Tuoro; Colin Bourke (captain); Sam Cane, Calum Retallick, Luke Katene, Luke Andrews; Josh Hohneck, John Pareanga, Joe Savage.

Substitutes: Simon Chisholm, Ted Touroa, Aiden Kuka, Tanerau Latimer, Dan Waenga, Brett Mather, Toby Arnold, Chris Elvin.

Kickoff 2-30pm

Rooney has been benched for the next game

Hawke's Bay:
Mark Jackman; Richard Buckman, Star Timu, Gillies Kaka; Jason Shoemark, Daniel Kirkpatrick; Kahn Fotuali'i; Trent Boswell-Wakefield; Karl Lowe, Leighton Price, Ross Kennedy, Michael Johnson; Anthony Perenise, Hika Elliot (captain), Whetu Barber.

Substitutes: Forwards, Eugene Smith, Josh Keys, Brodie Retallick, Mike Coman, Hugh Reed; backs, Chris Eaton, Andrew Horrell, Billy Ropiha, Luke Rooney.

Bay of Plenty:
Nick McCashin; Lance McDonald, Ben Smith, Jason Hona; Grant McQuoid, Phil Burleigh; Chad Tuoro; Colin Bourke (captain); Sam Cane, Calum Retallick, Luke Katene, Luke Andrews; Josh Hohneck, John Pareanga, Joe Savage.

Substitutes: Simon Chisholm, Ted Touroa, Aiden Kuka, Tanerau Latimer, Dan Waenga, Brett Mather, Toby Arnold, Chris Elvin.

Kickoff 2-30pm

That looks pretty close to what i expect the first string magpies team will be

Game has started and Im late, I'll tell yall how the game went when I come back online

Latest posts