• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pro game in trouble

But franchises arnt the answer and won't actually change something material to get more fans or money into the game.
Well you don't know that because it hasn't been tried properly and it's often "that won't work because of x" which really translates to "let's just let the old system run for now and keep our fingers crossed"

Well you don't know that because it hasn't been tried properly and it's often "that won't work because of x" which really translates to "let's just let the old system run for now and keep our fingers crossed"
Show me where franchises have worked in rugby then? There are many cases of them failing.

Also a key point you didn't answer is, how would the franchise actually get more fans/ revenue?

Would be interesting to hear how Franchises would work, who buys out clubs etc. I've no how it works I am guessing it still boils down to money.

Show me where franchises have worked in rugby then? There are many cases of them failing.

Also a key point you didn't answer is, how would the franchise actually get more fans/ revenue?
Ok, let's imagine this. The Rugby clubs get together and restructure the league to create 8 franchises, they get a better TV deal (the current one is under valued) and launch a whole new product along side a 7s league (of the the same franchises) and even and Anglo Scottish or Anglo Irish cup.

Could it work? Honestly I don't know but what I do know is what we are currently doing is failing badly. So when have franchises worked in Rugby? About the same amount of time the current premiership has worked but franchises have never been tried unlike the current failing system.

Ok, let's imagine this. The Rugby clubs get together and restructure the league to create 8 franchises, they get a better TV deal (the current one is under valued) and launch a whole new product along side a 7s league (of the the same franchises) and even and Anglo Scottish or Anglo Irish cup.

Could it work? Honestly I don't know but what I do know is what we are currently doing is failing badly. So when have franchises worked in Rugby? About the same amount of time the current premiership has worked but franchises have never been tried unlike the current failing system.
So your answer is just to get a new tv deal and create a 7s league?

Neither of those address the route causes of the clubs failure.

Rugby in England has two major failings, tons of fans only interested in the international game and tons of players who are playing at 3:00 on a Saturday and don't feel part of a premiership club. Until those issues are addressed we will continue to see the same old.

I'd make the community game a summer sport and also focus more on marketing England and the clubs together rather than coming across like two separate sports as they currently do.

Not sure even that will help though.

i for one believe franchising rugby in NZ is whats killing it...they dont have the history of the old clubs...you just disenfranchise lots of fans

because a new franchise wont want to more closely align itself with one area over another...you end up with generic often meanly less branding that people dont connect with...go the "east west midlands Crocodiles!"...or the "north but not scoland devils"