• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pro game in trouble

Wouldn't have to be a new franchise.

Both Leicester and Northampton could be franchises.

My suggestion would be
Newcastle, Sale, Doncaster
Coventry, Leicester, Northampton
Bristol, Gloucester, Exeter
Saracens, Harlequins, Wasps (SE London)

If this happens Bath Rugby Supporters Club will form a paramilitary wing and we will burn everything.

If this happens Bath Rugby Supporters Club will form a paramilitary wing and we will burn everything.
I think this would probably be the only time fans of Bristol would join them as brothers in arms.

Thing is would b*th bite the hand that feeds, see the latest PGP and academy catchment farce as another recent example?

Wouldn't have to be a new franchise.

Both Leicester and Northampton could be franchises.

My suggestion would be
Newcastle, Sale, Doncaster
Coventry, Leicester, Northampton
Bristol, Gloucester, Exeter
Saracens, Harlequins, Wasps (SE London)
Doncaster yes, need us some Yorkshire representation but no way you gave 3 London clubs and no Bath. I really always like Wasps but I think they'd miss out, don't know enough abput cov geographicly that I could make a decision if they would be in.

I have a rule where I don't go to any event unless I'm spending more time at the event than it takes me to get there, so haven't been to Twickenham since the Moseley-Gloucester JP Cup final of 1982.

In those days, players were (largely, sort-of) unpaid... and rugby needs to move back somewhat towards this; it's no good offering players low or mid six figures a year if your clubs are going bankrupt. There's no harm in a game finding its financial and 'popularity' position and then staying there. This obviously applies to the administators too, who seem happy to command salaries that would make an international second row blush, while being spectacularly unhelpful.

Yes, rugby is hard, yes the career is/can be short/very short, but it's still a career choice, made willingly.

FWIW, I'd do away with some of the manufactured fixtures and concentrate on building an English league pyramid, giving meaning and spice to the games. Building a super-stadium in Rugby would be a brilliant move to guarantee funding in perpetuity.
I like your rule and think I'll put it into practice for myself. 👍

Latest posts