• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pro game in trouble

Had a look Wembley looks like it's capped at 22 sporting events and 18 concerts and year. They have no limits on events under 51,000. Which isn't a bad attendance.

They've applied to increase the non sporting events by 8 taking it to 26 per year. Becoming more an entertainment venue than sports venue.

Gigs are where the money is for artist's, hence all these mega tours. Twickenham is definitely missing out

I have a rule where I don't go to any event unless I'm spending more time at the event than it takes me to get there, so haven't been to Twickenham since the Moseley-Gloucester JP Cup final of 1982.

In those days, players were (largely, sort-of) unpaid... and rugby needs to move back somewhat towards this; it's no good offering players low or mid six figures a year if your clubs are going bankrupt. There's no harm in a game finding its financial and 'popularity' position and then staying there. This obviously applies to the administators too, who seem happy to command salaries that would make an international second row blush, while being spectacularly unhelpful.

Yes, rugby is hard, yes the career is/can be short/very short, but it's still a career choice, made willingly.

FWIW, I'd do away with some of the manufactured fixtures and concentrate on building an English league pyramid, giving meaning and spice to the games. Building a super-stadium in Rugby would be a brilliant move to guarantee funding in perpetuity.

Twickenham's limits are stupidly low, because of the location, aren't they?
Something like 5 a year?

Edit: Maximum of 3 per year, 2 of which have to be on a Saturday - mad!
Wow so Wembley is doing more in a year than Twickenham is in 5\7 years.

You'd hope someone in the RFU has worked that out.

its a very similar debate re Eden Park....already cobbled together ...holding on by its teeth to be a world class venue.....but huge restrictions on noise due to being in a very expensive suburb...and i cant help they would easily pay for a new stadium somewhere else by selling off the land or building a couple of hundred townhouses

Latest posts