• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Predicted 6N table 2020

Nope,
We looked **** going into the world cup and shouldn't let a great performance vs the All Blacks paper over the cracks
Second half against Scotland and Wales wasnt great, but last year we dominated Ireland, won the games well we were favourites for. Dominated Aus then NZ. Yes a bad end vs SA

I wouldnt say im papering over the cracks. My worry is a hangover from the WC, and not 100% recovered as prem players do get put back in for alot of minutes.

Those two games you could see the game progressively falling away from England. Is it a question of coaching or should the senior players on the pitch be taking responsibility?
Difficult question. It feels easy from my armchair to say the coaching should set the players up to do that. But my personal view is based on Eddie has spoken so much about the players being empowered as a group and having leaders that are responsible, that I have to take him at his word that the coaching has set this up to allow the team/players to adapt theme selves. So I actually feel it is the lack of responsibility taken by senior players on the pitch. The Wales 6N game might be a case in point; why continue to just try the same thing again and again and let Wales just happily suck it up and control the game, whilst Owen Farrell appeared to just get more and frustrated, instead of calming and making a change decision.

England
Ireland
Wales
France
Scotland
Italy

Could be way off though, apart from England going well and Italy not I think that predicting the other four teams fortunes is especially tough this time. Ireland and Wales will have new coaching teams as well as quite a lot of new faces within their squads (Ireland through age/selection and Wales through injury), as you say France should start to show some improvement and I think they'll eventually (by 2023) be fantastic but not sure that it will happen for them yet. Scotland, well they should see this 6N as an opportunity to do quite well. They have an established coaching structure, a lot of the players who were injured last year are back and the other teams (bar England) are in transition. Still if there was ever a side who flatters to deceive it tends to be the Scots.

The Scots coaching set up isn't so established actually. Steve Tandy and Pieter de Villiers have only just come in as defence and scrum coaches respectively and will have limited time to work with the players. This year is the tougher fixture list with Ireland and Wales away and France and England at home. I think two wins (v France & Italy) would be a par campaign with three being above expectations. In all likelihood the Scots may only win one (in which case there will probably be a parting of the ways with Townsend). If France don't implode then I would agree with your standings prediction.

Last edited:
England
Ireland
Wales
France
Scotland
Italy

Gotta agree here, though I think it's possible, as Tooting Carmen said, that Italy beat Scotland at home. That would mean Scotland are in a very bad place, and after the optics of the salary for their CEO, it'd be time to hit the panic button. In fact, we should probably locate that thing now and have it nearby, just in case.

I can't believe there will be a RWC hangover for England. I think the only thing that could stop them would be an outbreak of Ebola, and if Itoje knocks out Sinckler again, provided that he knocks himself out in the process.

I'm very curious to see how the new-look Wales squad does, they could be really exciting... It doesn't seem like anyone's giving them much chance, but that was the case last year, too, right?...

Gotta agree here, though I think it's possible, as Tooting Carmen said, that Italy beat Scotland at home. That would mean Scotland are in a very bad place, and after the optics of the salary for their CEO, it'd be time to hit the panic button. In fact, we should probably locate that thing now and have it nearby, just in case.

I can't believe there will be a RWC hangover for England. I think the only thing that could stop them would be an outbreak of Ebola, and if Itoje knocks out Sinckler again, provided that he knocks himself out in the process.

I'm very curious to see how the new-look Wales squad does, they could be really exciting... It doesn't seem like anyone's giving them much chance, but that was the case last year, too, right?...

It's always difficult to predict Welsh fortunes due to how bad our regional game is yet we still manage to turn it on at international level every now and then. What with the change of coach and personal it's actually even harder to predict them now. I'm hoping that we see some genuine reasons to be optimistic (& just the fact that the squad has been announced has increased my excitement quite a lot) but I'll gonna try and remain pragmatic until there are enough reasons not to be.

I don't know why but I think that the Scots could go alright this year.

It's always difficult to predict Welsh fortunes due to how bad our regional game is yet we still manage to turn it on at international level every now and then. What with the change of coach and personal it's actually even harder to predict them now. I'm hoping that we see some genuine reasons to be optimistic (& just the fact that the squad has been announced has increased my excitement quite a lot) but I'll gonna try and remain pragmatic until there are enough reasons not to be.

I don't know why but I think that the Scots could go alright this year.

I'm curious to see how Pivac goes. Seems like a good bloke from what I've seen in interviews. Even when the Welsh sides were doing so so in the Pro14 Gatland was always able to get them to raise their game and turn them into a well oiled tier one machine. New beginnings for Wales, Ireland, Italy and France and so not so easy to predict this year.

Every year it's the same. England will romp it, Ireland are very good, this is France's year, the rest will slug it out, a resurgent Scotland will edge it and Wales v Italy could go either way. We all know how it always ends. Wales win outright, usually a grand slam, Eng and Ire wrestle for 2nd/3rd, France 4th, then the 'blue stirrers' fighting over the wooden spoon.
my prediction;
Wales
Eng/Ire/Fra
Sco/Ita

700.jpg

I'm cautiously optimistic about us. Think we have a decent chance to win it and are coming in relatively under the radar and without overly harsh expectations. Starting off with Scotland and Italy at home should give the new coaches a good chance to bed in (although if something goes wrong we're already in disaster mode).

England have highest peak and will win if they play at the level they showed against the All Blacks. They've consistently shown they can't maintain that level though. All that said they have the best and most settled squad, I don't think they're as far ahead as a lot of people would have you believe but they should definitely be strong favourites.

Wales I'm not sold on. Pivac got the job off one brilliant season at the scarlets but since then they've been steadily declining. I think Gatland has been making a middling squad play above themselves for a while and they'll be decent but not ***le contenders. Could be completely wrong though, possibly things will click and they'll be a serious force.

France are a bit overhyped. The talent will be there but I'll believe in a cohesive French team when I see it. For all the 'we don't know which France will show up' the exact same team has been showing up for a decade now, obviously talented in the backs but no proper organisation and a pack with neither the talent or the fitness to compete with top teams. Maybe it'll change with Edwards, but like I said I'll believe it when I see it.

Italy? They'll be better, but everyone else is better than they were five years ago so probably 0 wins again.

Scotland have been on the decline ever since Townsend took over, without being harsh that doesn't seem likely to change. Still too many average players, especially in the pack.

I'd say the most likely outcome is

England
Ireland
Wales
France
Scotland
Italy

Although Ireland or Wales could definitely win if things click (which I think is more likely for Ireland than Wales). England having both of us at home will probably swing it even then though. France could maybe be better than before I guess, I'd like to see it happen (preferably again other teams) but don't think it will.

In conclusion: Ireland to win the grand slam winning every game by 100 points as Dave Kearney single handedly breaks every tournament record in the book at Twickenham alone.

I'm cautiously optimistic about us. Think we have a decent chance to win it and are coming in relatively under the radar and without overly harsh expectations. Starting off with Scotland and Italy at home should give the new coaches a good chance to bed in (although if something goes wrong we're already in disaster mode).

England have highest peak and will win if they play at the level they showed against the All Blacks. They've consistently shown they can't maintain that level though. All that said they have the best and most settled squad, I don't think they're as far ahead as a lot of people would have you believe but they should definitely be strong favourites.

Wales I'm not sold on. Pivac got the job off one brilliant season at the scarlets but since then they've been steadily declining. I think Gatland has been making a middling squad play above themselves for a while and they'll be decent but not ***le contenders. Could be completely wrong though, possibly things will click and they'll be a serious force.

France are a bit overhyped. The talent will be there but I'll believe in a cohesive French team when I see it. For all the 'we don't know which France will show up' the exact same team has been showing up for a decade now, obviously talented in the backs but no proper organisation and a pack with neither the talent or the fitness to compete with top teams. Maybe it'll change with Edwards, but like I said I'll believe it when I see it.

Italy? They'll be better, but everyone else is better than they were five years ago so probably 0 wins again.

Scotland have been on the decline ever since Townsend took over, without being harsh that doesn't seem likely to change. Still too many average players, especially in the pack.

I'd say the most likely outcome is

England
Ireland
Wales
France
Scotland
Italy

Although Ireland or Wales could definitely win if things click (which I think is more likely for Ireland than Wales). England having both of us at home will probably swing it even then though. France could maybe be better than before I guess, I'd like to see it happen (preferably again other teams) but don't think it will.

In conclusion: Ireland to win the grand slam winning every game by 100 points as Dave Kearney single handedly breaks every tournament record in the book at Twickenham alone.

Every year it's the same. England will romp it, Ireland are very good, this is France's year, the rest will slug it out, a resurgent Scotland will edge it and Wales v Italy could go either way. We all know how it always ends. Wales win outright, usually a grand slam, Eng and Ire wrestle for 2nd/3rd, France 4th, then the 'blue stirrers' fighting over the wooden spoon.

Apart from that, great post.

England need to win away in France in the opener, it should be fine but I imagine it being a bit bum squeeky.

Then its if England can win their games against Ireland and Wales at home on paper this shouldn't be a problem. However they are consecutive games and if England dismantle Ireland the chances of them replicating that feat 2 weeks later? Usually the case is no. As usualy for England its Grand Slam or bust with Scotland away I simply can't see us wining on PD although a bumper Italy final game in rome could be a hammering on a squad that traditionally fails worse as the tournament goes on.

I'm going to be dull and predict a 3 way Ireland winning on PD due to playing Wales at home. Wales will gelling their squad and I don't predict any huge victories in terms of points margin but they'll aquit themselves well.

Scotland have France at home so I'm going to give them some benefit of the doubt but that could go either way.

Ireland
England
Wales
Scotland
France
Italy

Out of curiosity... Do any of you actually bet on these games? I've never made a sports wager in my life, but am curious about people who do so... :)

Out of curiosity... Do any of you actually bet on these games? I've never made a sports wager in my life, but am curious about people who do so... :)
Very rarely, and usually based on nothing but a good feeling or a first try scorer bet if I was on the beer for the matches for a bit of craic. I don't really like betting on rugby for whatever reason, I think it takes the enjoyment from watching rather than adding to it like golf for me!

The one I'd be eying is Ireland to beat England if both are unbeaten at that stage, I reckon we'd get generous odds.

I went through a 'phase' which started with a bit of inside info on a football match (I won big) and then I just left those winnings in the kitty to keep on betting for a while. Then for one reason or another I needed a lump of cash at some point and cashed out, thankfully it was the end of my gambling foray as I have an extremely addictive personality... and I've always heard that if you can get out 'up' you're in the lucky minority. I get tempted every now and then but have never gone back... yet :rolleyes:.

Not a big gambler but like a bet, biggest win was WC 2015 Aus vs Arg SF (i think) 40/1 Adam ashley cooper to get 3 or more tries.... put 2
£20 down won £820 back.(final try clearly forward but ill take it)

Posted a 2 on her from this WC just gone, can remember 1 where i need jonny may for England and Bridge for NZ to both get 2 tries in there respective games to get me a good amount of money, may got 2 bridge got 1....

Like a bet but the house alwsys wins in the end :)

No real 6N betting stores.

Yeah but with those two under 20 World Cup winning teams on the bounce, this next crop will be a new breed. Don't know if it'll have an effect this time but I'd imagine that they will be a very good side in the coming years. Also, if they can play like they did against us in the World Cup QF with some regularity... they'll be more than competitive.
Young side aiming to peak for a home RWC in 23. This year likely to be too soon, but will be a quickly gathering force.

Eng are an odd mix. Still questions of mental toughness yet semi vs NZ was at a level that no other 6N team, maybe no other team full stop, could have lived with. Fairly settled but with an obvious need to introduce some new blood.

Assuming the Sarries contingent are properly focused I think we'll win the ***le and if we can get past Fra in round 1 I wouldn't be discounting a GS. We'll want to avenge the Scottish cock up and Ita aren't going to beat us....ever (dusting off the old arrogance). We know how important home advantage is and Ire and Wal are coming to Twickers. Ire are coming off a poor RWC with a new coach, Wal also have a new coach and probably a very different style to bed in.....both will be tough but at the moment I'd back us to beat them at HQ 7 times out of 10.

Young side aiming to peak for a home RWC in 23. This year likely to be too soon, but will be a quickly gathering force.

Eng are an odd mix. Still questions of mental toughness yet semi vs NZ was at a level that no other 6N team, maybe no other team full stop, could have lived with. Fairly settled but with an obvious need to introduce some new blood.

Assuming the Sarries contingent are properly focused I think we'll win the ***le and if we can get past Fra in round 1 I wouldn't be discounting a GS. We'll want to avenge the Scottish cock up and Ita aren't going to beat us....ever (dusting off the old arrogance). We know how important home advantage is and Ire and Wal are coming to Twickers. Ire are coming off a poor RWC with a new coach, Wal also have a new coach and probably a very different style to bed in.....both will be tough but at the moment I'd back us to beat them at HQ 7 times out of 10.
Pretty fair assessment on the whole. Thank god the 6 Nations aren't played on paper eh ;)?

Pretty fair assessment on the whole. Thank god the 6 Nations aren't played on paper eh ;)?

I really hope we get one two upsets. It's just boring when all the results go to plan.

I have a feeling Italy might regress a bit without O'Shea. Curious to see what Andy Farrell can do as HC. Can Wales maintain the same level without Gatland's motivation/man management skills? Can Townsend save his job and scrape two or perhaps even an unthinkable three wins? Which England/France will turn up? So many questions...

Last edited:

Latest posts