• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Please World Rugby, ban the Haka

Kettle on a few minutes before anthems. Water and bag in as they come out of the tunnels, by the end of anthems it is ready (depends on anthems though, Ireland home games are a different story). Steep for three minutes, bit of milk and ready for kickoff. As soon as the halftime whistle blows, kettle on again.

Of course, for club rugby this is different, so I have to do it a little earlier. Usually when they have the team graphic up and are going through the 23.

No sugar? No spirits?

Kettle on a few minutes before anthems. Water and bag in as they come out of the tunnels, by the end of anthems it is ready (depends on anthems though, Ireland home games are a different story). Steep for three minutes, bit of milk and ready for kickoff. As soon as the halftime whistle blows, kettle on again.

Of course, for club rugby this is different, so I have to do it a little earlier. Usually when they have the team graphic up and are going through the 23.

I think I just discovered what's gone wrong with English rugby.

das

When teams barely played each other and NZ toured, the haka was a unique thing. Now we can see it a dozen times a year, so it isn't as special. Not to mention that even the bloody NZ darts team does one, so the special feeling seems lost. Not to mention the politics and labels of 'disrespectful' that get thrown around, I really don't care, its just an extra minute to prepare the tea.

noooooooooo, seriously ?!...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJIrbw3vBeM

Oh...yeah....seriously.

God, those British and their tea...never ceases to amaze me.

Greeeeeat. Now my mind's eye is picturing all the British football fans at the pub downing pints and cheering on their local teams playing on the big screen, while the British rugby fans are over at Auntie Jane's Tea and Tattle House, sipping Earl Grey with pinkies extended and nibbling on cucumber sandwiches.

das

Greeeeeat. Now my mind's eye is picturing all the British football fans at the pub downing pints and cheering on their local teams playing on the big screen, while the British rugby fans are over at Auntie Jane's Tea and Tattle House, sipping Earl Grey with pinkies extended and nibbling on cucumber sandwiches.

das

SPS-Rugby-Team-ETR-Mike-Dvornak-2.jpg

Last edited:
Barry's tea, lovely/

That's what hubby and I drink (decaf...I know, it sucks but it's the only way we can sleep).

I have a Brit friend from Yorkshire, and he swears by PJ Tips. I'm never sure which tea is considered the ultimate tea in Britain.

das

Finally this thread got interesting. I'm a Twinings man myself, English Breakfast for the first cup of the day (strong, plenty of milk), Earl Grey for all subsequent cups (even stronger, plenty of milk).

Maybe that's the way the English should respond to the haka. Slurp their tea at them disrespectfully. That'd shut those uppity colonials up, what.

As much as I'm enjoying the tea talk people, can we bring it back onto, the albeit daft, topic please. Start a Tea thread in the off topic forum

As much as I'm enjoying the tea talk people, can we bring it back onto, the albeit daft, topic please. Start a Tea thread in the off topic forum

Party pooper. ;)

Bottom line for me - the haka shouldn't intimidate the opposing team, it should motivate them! The response to the haka should be the opposing team's attack, their fight for possession and their scoring. Challenge with their bodies, not with chants or songs. To say that the ABs have an advantage because of the haka would be to say that the opposing team just doesn't have it in them to offer up a physical response on the pitch. I can't believe that rugby players - even the teetotalers ;) - are so weak that they'd allow a little pre-match song and dance routine throw them off their game.

No, the reason the ABs win is because of NZ's rugby program, their approach to the game overall, and because of national pride in the team (as opposed to those nations who are always complaining and tearing down their teams). You wanna beat the ABs? Then play like the ABs. No dance routine necessary.

das

Latest posts