• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Peter de Villiers expresses "surprise" over O'Connell nod

P

Prestwick

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/8011023.stm

South Africa coach and five time holder of Attitude magazine's "sexiest handlebar moustache" award, Peter de Villiers has expressed "surprise" over Paul O'Connell being tapped to the position of Captain of the Lions.

In other news, de Villiers also expressed surprise and shock that it was a rugby team he has been coaching for the last two years.

"I thought it very odd that these football players were running around with the ball in their hands" he said yesterday, "I was told that they were all just goalkeepers trying out of the Kaizer Chiefs! How the hell was I supposed to know?!" In his defence, he did admit that he had "long suspected" that the Wallabies and All Blacks "weren't soccer teams" after never observing them play in the last four World Cups..

Furthermore, de Villiers has expressed shock that the moon wasn't made of cheese, that Spiderman didn't exist and that Borat wasn't Khazakstan's cultural attache to South Africa.

It's so hard to read if PdV is being serious or not. Could be mind games. I don't know anymore..

Nah I think he's just being a douche. Just trying to give the impression that he thinks its a bad choice without actually saying it to try and knock the POC<sup>tm</sup>'s confidence a bit.

Snor is an absolute plum and the man is not the full box of Smarties. He will be giving the Lions plenty of ammo come the series.

PdV has come back on message with a more coherent muse about why none of the other Captains (Jones, Blair & Borthwick) weren't brought along..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Apr 24 2009, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
PdV has come back on message with a more coherent muse about why none of the other Captains (Jones, Blair & Borthwick) weren't brought along..[/b]

not the sharpest tool in the box is he.

I think his handlebar moustache is really one of those alien parasites which latch onto you and CONTROL YOUR BRAAAIN!

Yes true being that they would need to find a human being with alot of headroom Snor(moustache) would do just fine. Prepare to laugh alot more at this plum in the next couple of months.

O'Connell does worry me the more I read up on him. Keith Wood's take on him:

"as diplomatic as a sledgehammer and treads all over people's sensitivies".

Not quite the mould of a perfect leader really.

His fellow Munster chaps in the forwards might well rally around him, but I'm not so sure the Welsh and English chaps will take so kindly to a man who seems to rate himself so highly and be so keen to be 'main man'.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Count of Devonshire @ Apr 26 2009, 03:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
His fellow Munster chaps in the forwards might well rally around him, but I'm not so sure the Welsh and English chaps will take so kindly to a man who seems to rate himself so highly and be so keen to be 'main man'.[/b]
The evening of his selection as captain he couldn't be contacted because he'd turned his phone off after some boiler room salesmen from England kept ringing to sell him shares.

No nonsense. No hype. Astute financial brain as well!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Apr 25 2009, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Count of Devonshire @ Apr 26 2009, 03:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
His fellow Munster chaps in the forwards might well rally around him, but I'm not so sure the Welsh and English chaps will take so kindly to a man who seems to rate himself so highly and be so keen to be 'main man'.[/b]
The evening of his selection as captain he couldn't be contacted because he'd turned his phone off after some boiler room salesmen from England kept ringing to sell him shares.

No nonsense. No hype. Astute financial brain as well!
[/b][/quote]

and the Scottish accent was too genuine for it to be Carney or Frankie Sheehan :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Count of Devonshire @ Apr 25 2009, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Em, I think Keith Wood long ago stopped talking sense. Bit of a shame.

But I don't know where he's getting that from. Certainly he doesn't beat around the bush when he's talkibg about a poor performance but besides that I don't know where he's getting that from.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Apr 25 2009, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Count of Devonshire @ Apr 25 2009, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Em, I think Keith Wood long ago stopped talking sense. Bit of a shame.

But I don't know where he's getting that from. Certainly he doesn't beat around the bush when he's talkibg about a poor performance but besides that I don't know where he's getting that from.
[/b][/quote]

not sure what he's basing this on given that he only played with him during the 2003 world cup and O'Connell wasn't near the player he is now. Doubt he was up his own arse during that campaign.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Count of Devonshire @ Apr 25 2009, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Are you talking about this kind of attitude? >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhgt2pnSywI

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Apr 25 2009, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Count of Devonshire @ Apr 25 2009, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you talking about this kind of attitude? >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhgt2pnSywI
[/b][/quote]

would like to think he's learnt massively from that occasion as he went missing in that match. God help us if that happens this Summer.

Oh no... I just read something in the Rapport, It seems like Terblanche wont make no15... He'll put $#%$#ing Jantjes on again, and apparently his going to get Habana's speed back...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Apr 25 2009, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

No nonsense. No hype. Astute financial brain as well![/b]
Are you really using that as an example of why he'd be a good leader?

:rolleyes:

From his recent interviews so far I think I quite like the fellow, but just don't think he is always right enough in the mind to spearhead a team.

Of course the role of captain is vastly overated anyway, but that is another tale for another day.

Latest posts