• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pat Lam Leaves Connacht For Bristol

How do club salaries work in Ireland? Is it a mixture of club and IRFU payments or 100% IRFU? Are clubs allowed to pinch players from other clubs without the blessing of the IRFU or could Lam interpret the Henshaw move as the IRFU doing his legs?

How do club salaries work in Ireland? Is it a mixture of club and IRFU payments or 100% IRFU? Are clubs allowed to pinch players from other clubs without the blessing of the IRFU or could Lam interpret the Henshaw move as the IRFU doing his legs?

The majority of contracts are paid by the individual provincial branches with central IRFUcontracts for the top players. As far as I know Henshaw could basically choose which province he wants to play for once he was offered the central contract, if Lam had an issue with it he should never have coached here in the first place.

Wow Lam is on region of £750k a year in new deal. Admitted that he was upset with IRFU in way they encouraged Henshaw to Leinster and that if he poduced more theyd just be ushered to other provinces and that he feels that means his project was with a ceiling.

Last edited:
I wonder would Lancaster famcy Connacht? He may see Lam got a springboard off it and it is an opportunity with a good foundation and little pressure to excel.

Wow Lam is on region of £750k a year in new deal. Admitted that he was upset with IRFU in way they encouraged Henshaw to Leinster and that if he poduced more theyd just be ushered to other provinces and that he feels that means hos project was with a ceiling.

I think this is a big factor in him leaving the province. So unfortunate. He could have built a good legacy out west.

Pat Lam joined Connacht, not for the love of Galway but for the pay cheque. As such, how can anyone criticize him for accepting Bristol's offer? Short term it seems an odd career decision but long term Bristol have more potential than Connacht. Lam may as well cash in now when his stock will never be higher.

Huge loss for Connacht, he did a remarkable job there. Thankfully most don't begrudge him his move.

Pat Lam joined Connacht, not for the love of Galway but for the pay cheque. As such, how can anyone criticize him for accepting Bristol's offer? Short term it seems an odd career decision but long term Bristol have more potential than Connacht. Lam may as well cash in now when his stock will never be higher.

Huge loss for Connacht, he did a remarkable job there. Thankfully most don't begrudge him his move.

Exactly. And he deserves the rise too Snoop. Nobody can begrudge him because simply he arrived to a province in bit of mess and jas left them not only as winners but more importantly a serious good squad. When was last time you could serioysly argue so many Connacht guys deserving international spots. Even after Henshaw going

First off, we aren't relegated yet. So talk of our death is premature.

Personally I am happy to hear Lam joining us, has done well at Connacht and I think he'll do a good job here. The talk is he'll work with a DOR who will be responsible for recruitment and Lam can focus on the coaching. As long as they work together then that system can do good things.

Tainton gets rewarded for the job he's done so far, he's improved things and I firmly believe that a win, leading to more, isnt't very far away. Jonathan Thomas has done a good job with the defence and our pack is the strength. If we can sort out the brain farts, where most opposisiton points have come from, then we can do well.

And as for those who see this season as a disaster. I suspect they only realised they supported the club when we got promoted and weren't there in the darker days.

First off, we aren't relegated yet. So talk of our death is premature.

Personally I am happy to hear Lam joining us, has done well at Connacht and I think he'll do a good job here. The talk is he'll work with a DOR who will be responsible for recruitment and Lam can focus on the coaching. As long as they work together then that system can do good things.

Tainton gets rewarded for the job he's done so far, he's improved things and I firmly believe that a win, leading to more, isnt't very far away. Jonathan Thomas has done a good job with the defence and our pack is the strength. If we can sort out the brain farts, where most opposisiton points have come from, then we can do well.

And as for those who see this season as a disaster. I suspect they only realised they supported the club when we got promoted and weren't there in the darker days.

I think it's key DoR looks for Lam style players though.and if Bristol get relegated but rebuild smartly using the season blooding some youngsters and developing depth obviously while getting back up is key

I think it's key DoR looks for Lam style players though.and if Bristol get relegated but rebuild smartly using the season blooding some youngsters and developing depth obviously while getting back up is key

Blooding youngsters hasn't been and shouldn't be a problem, we have a good academy set up here. Thats what I mean by working together, discuss the players theyre looking at and go after the right ones.