• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Over rated Players

Ian Balshaw, oh wait no1 rates him :p

Eh, Shane Williams, Brian O'Driscoll and Wynand Oliver

James Hook is overrated.
I understand peoples feelings about O' Gara because he is not blessed with the natural talent of some other notable fly halfs, and his dismal World Cup (possibly because of personal problems?). But he has definitely made the most of what he has, and has a very cool head. The sheer amount of points he has accumulated and more importantly the number of games he has controlled, dominated and ultimately won for both Munster and Ireland cannot be denied. I don't want to start an arguement with anyone but maybe his success in pinning opposition teams back and punishing them with his boot, while at the same time not playing very pretty rugby, is why so many outside Munster and Ireland dislike him.
I'd also like to add that Henson is brilliant.

No, Hook is not overrated. He's underperformed but he is most definately the best fly half in Great Britain on form (Tied with Cipriani) and has had little chance to shine under Lyn Jones' POSpreys. Just wait until next year ;) because when he hits form you can all look out!
Oh, and O'Crack-up is quite overrated sorry. Sure he's won the Heineken Cup with Munster, but since he had an armchair ride all night and did nothing but pass and kick at goal, his role in the game was quite minor.

Bryan habana is way overrated, Sonny Parker, Percy Montgomery.[/b]

Bryan Habana is overrated? Whatever dude...
[/b]
Yeah he only won player of the year 2007, equalled Lomu's WC try scoring record, has scored 30 tries in 36 games by playing teams like AUS and NZ year in year out.
WAY overrated

No, Hook is not overrated. He's underperformed but he is most definately the best fly half in Great Britain on form (Tied with Cipriani) and has had little chance to shine under Lyn Jones' POSpreys. Just wait until next year ;) because when he hits form you can all look out!
Oh, and O'Crack-up is quite overrated sorry. Sure he's won the Heineken Cup with Munster, but since he had an armchair ride all night and did nothing but pass and kick at goal, his role in the game was quite minor.
[/b]

Yea Hook is a very good player, if anything he is underated. Every time i watch him he makes several breaks and usually breaks the gain line, i think Cipriani is a bit better with more pace and more vision. But JH is definetely second, ridiculous to say he is overated.

I'm gonna go with Francois steyn as being over-rated. He's got a big boot and so on. But lately hasn't played well or performed to expectations. Also definitely Roland o gara.

Chabal
Flood
Tindall

I can't really think of anything outstanding any of these players have done in the past season, especially tindall and flood. Granted that tindall has been out with injury tho, but when was the last time you saw him create anything or make a brilliant line break?

Have the people who mention Henson seen him play a game of rugby this year?! He has been awesome; after a difficult last couple of years he has got his head screwed back on and will become one of the best centres in the world.
Oh and the guy above who mentions Ma'a Nonu must be smoking some serious ****.

Henson is most certainly not overrated. Neither is Ma'a Nonu, Carter, Habana or any of the other stupid suggestions.

Tindall I don't think is overrated since pretty much everyone accepts he's past it.

Flood's a nice player, neither over nor underrated.

Wilkinson, when in his prime, was one of the best fly halves ever. The best if you wanted someone to control a game and kick goals. Now, again no one really rates him as highly, even though he's nowhere near as good.

James Hook - only seems to play well when he's sitting on a well performing pack and 9. Misses easy kicks, and gets hard ones only on days when everything seems to be going right for him.

Hodgson - I've heard people sympathise with him for being 'cursed by his country's love affair with Jonny'. Bullshit. He's cursed by his own inability to translate club form into the international arena, and his inability to tackle/ kick important goals.

I'd agree on Chabal, there's more to rugby than running over Namibians.

I think Bakkies Botha is overrated. No brains, and goes out to pick a fight every game.....

As most of you said:

The f***ing idi*t of Ronan O'Gara
Sebastien Chabal
Gavin Henson

Ah! I forgot of James Hook.

Latest posts