• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Organisation of the 2023 World Cup

I'm guessing they signed some antiquated TV deals or something, but it's not like the tournament is on PPV or anything - no one is avoiding watching games on ITV/whoever because they'd rather...watch a 25s clip on twitter instead?
Even sports like the UFC (full PPV) or Premiership Rugby (on a subscription channel) don't chase people like this

Considering how lackluster the advertising for this tournament has been you'd have thought they'd love highlights going viral and getting more people interested

I'm guessing they signed some antiquated TV deals or something, but it's not like the tournament is on PPV or anything - no one is avoiding watching games on ITV/whoever because they'd rather...watch a 25s clip on twitter instead?
Even sports like the UFC (full PPV) or Premiership Rugby (on a subscription channel) don't chase people like this

Considering how lackluster the advertising for this tournament has been you'd have thought they'd love highlights going viral and getting more people interested
Agreed, in fact good debate and discussion online I think would result in increased engagement of ITV on their highlight videos online as well as actually watching the games.

You make a good point though, you don't see this for the Premiership, URC or the Champions/Challenge Cup. You did see it in the past for Super Rugby (mainly YouTube).

There is going to be an upset in this tournament at some point which always generates buzz, but casuals won't be made aware of it, because any sharing of media on it is just going to blocked. And it's a massive shame

Expecting a new COVID Variant to pop up in Nantes any minute now..... Praying rest of the tournament goes smoothly and people get through it safe and sound above all. Some of these things are outside WR control and some are complete self inflicted wounds.

Agreed, in fact good debate and discussion online I think would result in increased engagement of ITV on their highlight videos online as well as actually watching the games.

You make a good point though, you don't see this for the Premiership, URC or the Champions/Challenge Cup. You did see it in the past for Super Rugby (mainly YouTube).

There is going to be an upset in this tournament at some point which always generates buzz, but casuals won't be made aware of it, because any sharing of media on it is just going to blocked. And it's a massive shame
Highlights from all the games last weekend are available on the World Rugby website. I haven't clicked any of the links so I don't know if you have to endure 3 minutes or 3 months of advertising from "partners and sponsors". I know it's not the same as being able to watch a 2 minute clip of magic on social media.
World Rugby, ******* things royally since we were the IRB.

Highlights from all the games last weekend are available on the World Rugby website. I haven't clicked any of the links so I don't know if you have to endure 3 minutes or 3 months of advertising from "partners and sponsors". I know it's not the same as being able to watch a 2 minute clip of magic on social media.
World Rugby, ******* things royally since we were the IRB.
It's not specifically about the highlight videos. It's that you can't show a clip of the Manie Libbok chip kick, or the Jesse Kriel tackle or the Curry tackle, or Chile's first try. Those little clips which generate lots of talking points and engagement are just not an option on social media. Specifically trying to do that is going to get you a DMCA and a ban on Twitter/X… and that's ridiculous.

The official highlights are so short they miss out a ton of stuff as well - think they're all about 3mins long
Wales vs Fiji had 8 tries and 2 cards in, how do you convey that properly in 3mins?

Complaints across the board of stadium organisation and a story breaking now of an alleged gang rape of an Irish fan in Bordeaux.

The farcical method of picking the hosts for the tournament (World Rugby gave France the highest safety and stadia ratings) is coming back to bite.

Poor girl and her family, hope she gets every last bit of support she needs.
The organisation is rubbish but putting that poor woman's rape on the organisers is pure bull. The fact is an Irish tourist was raped in a big city in France. Could just as easily have happened to a tourist in Dublin!

The organisation is rubbish but putting that poor woman's rape on the organisers is pure bull. The fact is an Irish tourist was raped in a big city in France. Could just as easily have happened to a tourist in Dublin!

Dublin isn't a comparison here, there's no major global event here resulting in the influx of tourism and requirement for heightened security. Security and safety are a massive part of bids to get these events and France have failed here in one of their host cities. Massive improvements are required in the coming weeks and ahead of the Olympics.

Oh no… poor World Rugby… if only there was a way to clearly communicate with fans and show them additional angles and give them clips instead of freeze frames to discuss as well as the detailed outcomes on decisions to cite/not cite. Oh wait, yea… it's pretty simple unless they've railroaded themselves into terrible rights deals.

Every decision world rugby make just seem like another nail in rugby's coffin. It really does seem they are actually trying to kill rugby off.

Personally I'll allow the French police to investigate the reported offence fully before concluding that there has been a failure of security. The offence reportedly happened after midnight (early hours of a Monday), so I think it is a bit harsh to tie this to organisation of the tournament.

If the offence is being reportedly accurately in the press then being bundled into a car, driven around the city and raped at another location provides massive scope for CCTV and forensic evidence. Particularly as the suspects then reportedly fled on foot (leaving their car behind???) after having coincidentally left her near her Air BnB accomodation (???). The victim also didn't want to approach the police and only engaged with the police in the morning after neighbours had initiated contact.

I've seen enough truly bizarre offences turn out to be true to always keep an open mind. But I also think it is well worth keeping an open mind as to whether the circumstances reported in the press about the offence are an accurate representation of events. At this stage, I would err on the side of media reports not being accurate.