No Foreigners in our front rows

Leonormous Boozer

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Ireland's new policy from D Humps so we build depth.

Don't think it works, lower the quality of player and you lower the quality of player. Development starts before the pro ranks and in the early stages where you don't want too much exposure for lads who aren't fully developed.

Hoping for better innovation in future.

IDK I always feel that having high benchmarks in sport encourages growth.
As long as the young players get opportunity and are rewarded if they can overtake the foreign players it shouldn't be a problem right? Especially at prop when the shelf life and prime age is a lot higher. Is rushing a 22 year old better for develop than being behind Furlong and Tupou?

I feel that most teams in any top flight european league tends to aim to use 4 props a side per season.
2 Experience props with either a Veteran and development prop or two development props seems to be the norm

I remember when Cole at Tigers was coming up we had Castrogiovanni and Julian White ahead of him two international TH's. and with each one he overtook the better he clearly looked.

Last edited:
IDK I always feel that having high benchmarks in sport encourages growth.
As long as the young players get opportunity and are rewarded if they can overtake the foreign players it shouldn't be a problem right? Especially at prop when the shelf life and prime age is a lot higher. Is rushing a 22 year old better for develop than being behind Furlong and Tupou?

I feel that most teams in any top flight european league tends to aim to use 4 props a side per season.
2 Experience props with either a Veteran and development prop or two development props seems to be the norm
Agreed yeah. There's a policy to be made regarding this but this isn't it. I think Slimani is exactly the type of player to work with, he's not someone you really want to be a starter, that's dangerous territory, but a high benchmark for a younger guy to beat to break into Euro squads.

Tupou would have been a great signing and also not a starter. Think we need to work smarter than this.

Yeah, seems a bad policy - so much going on in scrums that you want your lads learning from as many sources as possible. Bringing in experienced front rowers from abroad while you're bringing through youngsters from the academy is a proven way to improve your stocks

Can they not just cap front row players via residency?

5 years now makes it pretty difficult.

Not really a fan of this policy, like I expect Slimani to do a lot developing our younger frontrows.

It will have to be combined with a more aggressive strategy in getting guys to move provinces.

Putting a policy like this in place while simultaneously trying and failing to get a player like Milne to move is not the move from the IRFU imo.

Why put blanket policies in place like this instead of taking it on a case by case basis as they have been? Stinks of Humphreys trying to leave his mark, probably to the detriment of the provinces in the short to medium term.

I understand the position we're in at prop is tight, but why apply the policy to hooker? It's not at all the same.

Also, has any province been particularly or at all reliant on front row imports? I don't know the last one Munster had, Thomas du Toit? Ulster have had a few that blew in and out and Connacht I have no idea when they last had one? Leinster had Alaalatoa stinking the place up, but it's not like he blocked anyone

Putting a policy like this in place while simultaneously trying and failing to get a player like Milne to move is not the move from the IRFU imo.

Why put blanket policies in place like this instead of taking it on a case by case basis as they have been? Stinks of Humphreys trying to leave his mark, probably to the detriment of the provinces in the short to medium term.

I understand the position we're in at prop is tight, but why apply the policy to hooker? It's not at all the same.

Also, has any province been particularly or at all reliant on front row imports? I don't know the last one Munster had, Thomas du Toit? Ulster have had a few that blew in and out and Connacht I have no idea when they last had one? Leinster had Alaalatoa stinking the place up, but it's not like he blocked anyone
Alaalatoa wasnt blocking anyone as several tightheads from leinster were moved to other provinces.

Allatoa changes games and he changes policies.

Pretty wild to limit the available props your clubs can sign. You really need depth to win on two front.

Also having strong experiences props help develop literally every other position on the pitch.
Winning clean balls in the scrum, helping get front foot ball.

Having young inexperienced locks behind experienced props makes things so much quicker for their development

I actually think this will come good for the provinces/internationals in a couple of seasons. While young props do need older heads to learn from, there's only so much they can learn on the paddock, as opposed to actually coming up against live opposition. Take England for example, for the last few seasons the majority of first choice 12's in the league came from overseas, to the point now where our current squad contains one natural 12 (Dingwall) but our 1st choice (Lawrence) playing his club rugby at 13..and is arguably the only international quality 12 we have

Take England for example, for the last few seasons the majority of first choice 12's in the league came from overseas
As ever, define the words "came from"

Saints:. Dingwall, came from Northampton
Bath: ... Redpath, came from Sale
Sale: .... Tuilagi, came from Leicester
Sarries: Tomkins, came from Saracens
Bristol:. JVR, came from South Africa
Quins:.. Esterhuizen, came from South Africa
Exeter:. Devoto, came from Bath
Tigers:.. Kelly, came from Sale
Glos:..... Atkinson, came from Worcester
Falcons: Hutchison, came from Scotland

I make that 3 from 10

Step further back ups
Saints - Hutchinson (Saints academy)
Bath - Ojomoh (Bath academy)
Sale - Bedlow (Sale academy)
Sarries - Hartley (Wasps academy)
Bristol - Williams (Started with Birmingham Moseley)
Quins - Anyanwu/Northmore (Both quins products)
Exeter - Hawkins (Wales)
Tigers - Kata (Tonga)
Gloucester - Llewellyn (Wales)
Falcons - Orlanda (Argentina)
So first and second choices we have 7 out of 20 who are not English products

Also how many U20's 12's have looked decent that never got a chance?

Ireland's new policy from D Humps so we build depth.

Don't think it works, lower the quality of player and you lower the quality of player. Development starts before the pro ranks and in the early stages where you don't want too much exposure for lads who aren't fully developed.

Hoping for better innovation in future.

Too much of a blunt instrument, but am supportive of limits. For every great import such as Ayerza at Tigers, there have been many of lesser calibre who youngsters haven't learned so much from and have blocked their way.

Strange in some ways.
Slimani is here for 1 year. Like what major impact can he have in 1 year from a non coaching capacity.
Then is skewed system where effectively all provinces competing now and make bargain power better. Likes of Dan Brennan won't sign for Leinster for family reasons but if he were to come then look at his bargain power. In some ways it may work but in others it lessens the field making average guys inflate worth

it lessens the field making average guys inflate worth
Nail on the head there. Seems like an overreaction to the situation and a couple bad signings in Ala'alatoa and Kitchoff.

Usually when we've had a world class and ambitious player come, class follows. Howlett and Earls. Felipe and Sexton. Stan Wright and Healy. Elsom and SOB. Isa and a generation of Leinster backs.

Mostly Leinster examples there buy I'm sure someone of a different persuasion could think of more.

Like if this rule was in before I doubt a Byrne brother would make an international class prop. Just doesn't work like that.

Nail on the head there. Seems like an overreaction to the situation and a couple bad signings in Ala'alatoa and Kitchoff.

Usually when we've had a world class and ambitious player come, class follows. Howlett and Earls. Felipe and Sexton. Stan Wright and Healy. Elsom and SOB. Isa and a generation of Leinster backs.

Mostly Leinster examples there buy I'm sure someone of a different persuasion could think of more.

Like if this rule was in before I doubt a Byrne brother would make an international class prop. Just doesn't work like that.
It's the opposite. Like provinces could become weaker if bad era of props. Like around the end of Mike Ross era provinces struggled with prop issues for period. If provinces lose competitiveness then it could be a bad move.
Bit to be honest. Being back on site here in UL and chatting to a few higher up the food chain. Noone is taking Humphreys too serious and alot reckon he won't see next RWC

Latest posts