• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand New Flag Choices down to 4!

Why is it common sense?
There are far more important things in this country to spend millions on than something as trivial as a flag, John Key needs to get his priorities right and look to fix the many problems in New Zealand before he worries about wasting money on a bit of cloth that the majority didn't even want changed in the first place.

Maybe you can help me out. I was under the impression that a few thousands Maoris died fighting the UK. Do you find it trivial that some of their descendants do not want to see a Union Jack in the flag that is supposed to represent them?

Maybe you can help me out. I was under the impression that a few thousands Maoris died fighting the UK. Do you find it trivial that some of their descendants do not want to see a Union Jack in the flag that is supposed to represent them?
No one can argue against the injustices of colonialism.

But changing a flag is largely inconsequential to the lives of any nation's citizens. It is a process that should have gone through the normal political process, even if it is an emotive topic. How can it justify a referendum, whilst governments play around with e.g. welfare budgets, which have a significant impact on the most vulnerable people?

Referendums should be left for the most important decisions a country faces; decisions that can entirely change the way of life for its citizens.

You will prob find most don't have it at the forefront of their mind, and would as said rather the Government focus on other areas first.

Looking at social media a lot seem to support the current one over the change mainly due to the fact of sticking it to keys.

Hell when EFS votes for the current one to stick it to keys you know it isn't a major issue. Considering he loves to go on about Colonialism

Looking at social media a lot seem to support the current one over the change mainly due to the fact of sticking it to keys.

That makes no sense since the majority of NZ votes for John Key. The new option just simply wasn't good enough.

That makes no sense since the majority of NZ votes for John Key. The new option just simply wasn't good enough.

Well the perception I got from Moaris on Social media is they are not happy with Keys.

obvs that is a perception.

Also people tend to want to stick it to a government more when it is in the middle of its term,

Well the perception I got from Moaris on Social media is they are not happy with Keys.

obvs that is a perception.

Also people tend to want to stick it to a government more when it is in the middle of its term,

Often the ignorant have the loudest voice on social media and peoples eyes don't often catch articulate responses and also the particular social demographics that use and abuse it.

The middle vote is what cost the flag change. I know people who liked 'Red Peak';

xfjIpEZ.jpg

But changed their vote because they didn't like the final option. Also the amount of polling that said people were undecided, or that wanted change and just not the new option would have likely made the difference.

What about them? Ask their families what they want and take that into account. Just like everyone else.

The example i used was to illustrate that a flag can be something quite important to some. Importance is, unfortunately, a subjective thing.

Yes, I think some people were also offended by how little respect John Key and parts of the public had for the current flag.

Last edited:
Do tell. As far as i am aware, not only Key but also labour and the green party talked about changing the flag during at their campaigns. People voted.
Other than trying to keep up with the promises made during the campaign, what did they (JK and parts of the public) do to disrespect the current flag? Do you consider asking to change it disrespectful?
Not being sarcastic, honestly curious. This is completely inconsequential to me.

Do tell. As far as i am aware, not only Key but also labour and the green party talked about changing the flag during at their campaigns. People voted.
Other than trying to keep up with the promises made during the campaign, what did they (JK and parts of the public) do to disrespect the current flag? Do you consider asking to change it disrespectful?
Not being sarcastic, honestly curious. This is completely inconsequential to me.

No, I don't find it disrespectful. I would have liked a change and I'm sorely disappointed with the choice it came down to, I feel it's a really missed opportunity. There are so many Maori designs that had endless possibilities, the new option looked "cool" but not appropriate for a national flag, in all honesty I didn't vote, because I didn't feel completely compelled to either option.

The offense came in the area of people choosing to be offended and bringing up people who had fought and died for the flag, like some how they're the voice for them? Some veterans were disgruntled which is a bit more understandable and on the matter of opposition changing their tune, that's always going to be the case, parties always opposed what the other is doing etc.

I have a serious problem with the former colonies rejecting their roots... So many Anzacs died for that flag that to take it away becomes and insult... Thank goodness NZ saw sense

I have a serious problem with the former colonies rejecting their roots... So many Anzacs died for that flag that to take it away becomes and insult... Thank goodness NZ saw sense

but isn't new Zealand's roots the Maori people. Maybe there would be a way to incorporate both the Maori and British histories of the land.

but isn't new Zealand's roots the Maori people. Maybe there would be a way to incorporate both the Maori and British histories of the land.
I guess so actually, not though about it like that... do the Maori have a representative flag of some sort

Tino rangatiratanga is the Maori flag

Attachments

• IMG_2826.PNG
    IMG_2826.PNG
    2.5 KB · Views: 2
why not the stars on the black and the British flag in the top right...
Nah the british flag would be out of place. Just leave the Southern Cross as it is in the background, should be sweet as.

Latest posts