• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Need help getting into the ITM Cup

nadoss

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Rebels
I posted this in the general discussion earlier, but I guess it would be better here. I'm a big Rugby fan in the US but haven't followed the ITM Cup ever before, so I'm trying to find a team to learn a ton about and root for. Currently I have a couple teams in mind, but I'd like to hear from the fans as to why their team is the one to root for.

You should support Otago, as they are just superb ;)

Who you support really depends on what sort of rugby you like to watch: if you like watching teams with a dominant forward pack Southland would be a good option, if you want a team with an exciting backline you could support someone like Counties, if you want to support a team that wins most weeks you should probably support Canterbury....

You should support Otago, as they are just superb ;)

Who you support really depends on what sort of rugby you like to watch: if you like watching teams with a dominant forward pack Southland would be a good option, if you want a team with an exciting backline you could support someone like Counties, if you want to support a team that wins most weeks you should probably support Canterbury....

I definitely don't want to root for a team just because they're good. (And I also don't like to root for Dan Carter. I see him as the Sidney Crosby of rugby and I can't stand Crosby (NHL))

Last edited:
I definitely don't want to root for a team just because they're good. (And I also don't like to root for Dan Carter. I see him as the Sidnet Crosby of rugby and I can't stand Crosby (NHL))

grrrrrrrr

ITM is good rugby actually, if I understand it correctly, those team feed into the NZ Super teams, so many games are like trial games, players backing themselves and having a go, it good rugby.

BTW, you only hate Crosby 'cause he's good, damn good.

Cheers

Haha, good to see a hockey fan. I have a relative who played for Montreal during their 5-peat. I hate Crosby because he's a little douche. The fact that he's a great player isn't the issue (my sister destroyed some people in Fantasy Hockey with Crosby on her team, but I'm glad I had Stamkos). But then again, I don't like Ovy either, I just hate that the NHL is trying to push this hole, Crosby v Ovy centric NHL when I think there are so many more interesting teams and players.

on a more trivial point, do you have colours you normally end up following?

purely by how the cards fell the first three sports teams i supported (Dunedin in club rugby, Otago in ITM cup and Wimbledon in UK football) all wear Blue and Gold so i cant help have a soft sport for teams who wear Blue and Gold, this has expanded on to Blue and White (Otago Boys High, Blackburn Rovers, Sharks in the NRL) but i find it hard to get behind a team in Red for example

Traival i know but keeps things simple

edit: although it looks like Otago are the only team who want you so far ;)

Last edited:
Haha, good to see a hockey fan. I have a relative who played for Montreal during their 5-peat. I hate Crosby because he's a little douche. The fact that he's a great player isn't the issue (my sister destroyed some people in Fantasy Hockey with Crosby on her team, but I'm glad I had Stamkos). But then again, I don't like Ovy either, I just hate that the NHL is trying to push this hole, Crosby v Ovy centric NHL when I think there are so many more interesting teams and players.

Crosby a douche, don't see it, I could cry baby, of in honour of The Great One, a whiner, but not douche. Ovie, he is a douche, have you ever seen more v-neck shirts before in your life. Crosby makes the players around him better, he just does, and that is the sign of a good/great player. Not a Stamkos fan myself. Huge Iggy fan, and Doughty fan.

BTW, what was your relative's name?

Dickie Moore. I'm not a big Stamkos fan, but I sure enjoyed his production on my fantasy team. Yeah, you're right, Ovechkin is definitely douchier, but Crosby just seems to know that he's the chosen one, and I don't like that. Although I do respect him for taking a pay cut to keep the team together. At least he's a respectable athlete. I'm still not rooting for him though.

on a more trivial point, do you have colours you normally end up following?

purely by how the cards fell the first three sports teams i supported (Dunedin in club rugby, Otago in ITM cup and Wimbledon in UK football) all wear Blue and Gold so i cant help have a soft sport for teams who wear Blue and Gold, this has expanded on to Blue and White (Otago Boys High, Blackburn Rovers, Sharks in the NRL) but i find it hard to get behind a team in Red for example

Traival i know but keeps things simple

edit: although it looks like Otago are the only team who want you so far ;)

As an American who's been born into a few different sports teams, all of whom have different colors (Scarlet and Gray, Teal and Black, Orange and Black, and Purple and Gold) I can't nail it down to one color scheme. Although, I would like to hear more about Otago. At this point, I didn't have a lot of information about them. The two teams I was originally leaning towards didn't include Otago, but I haven't made any decisions yet.

Yeah, my favourite story was when he played the last month or so with a broken bone in his arm or hand so that he could stay in the lead for the Art Ross

As an American who's been born into a few different sports teams, all of whom have different colors (Scarlet and Gray, Teal and Black, Orange and Black, and Purple and Gold) I can't nail it down to one color scheme. Although, I would like to hear more about Otago. At this point, I didn't have a lot of information about them. The two teams I was originally leaning towards didn't include Otago, but I haven't made any decisions yet.

Otago is traditionally one of the strongest teams in NZ rugby, with Dunedin also the home base for the Highlanders rugby franchise. They have been going down hill for a number of years and had absolutely appalling season last year, getting 14th out of 14 teams. This year they have almost a completely new team, with half the players from last years team released, and about 15 new players included in the squad from other regions. The team this year looks a lot more promising; they have a couple of very experienced players (Kees Meeuws, Tony Brown), and whole pile of young (20-21 years old) players who look very promising (Liam Coltman, TJ Ioane, Gareth Evans, Hayden Parker, Buxton Popoali'i). There best two players are Adam Thomson and Ben Smith, though they are both currently away with the All Blacks squad. Otago has looked quite good so far this year: they have won 2/3 games (including beating Auckland in Auckland for the first time in 25 years)... it will be interesting to see whether they can keep there strong start going.

Last edited:
Tony Brown

Holy crap, how old is he now? I remember when he was Merhtens understudy........BTW, Darwin, am I right that the Super teams draw from this pool of talent?

Tony Brown

Holy crap, how old is he now? I remember when he was Merhtens understudy........BTW, Darwin, am I right that the Super teams draw from this pool of talent?

Tony Brown is 36... he's certainly slowed down a bit, but he still does a good job directing the team around the park.
Yeah, Super rugby teams pick there players from the ITM Cup teams.

although its not as rigid was it was until last year where the vast majority was picked from within this catchment and only players unwanted by their home franchise could be drafted in. NOW anyone can be contracted directly into a franchise team hence how we have been able to bring in players like Colin Slade and Lima Soponga

I am viewing this year very much like this year was for the highlanders, we just need to improve and build

wasn't it the first time in 35 years darwin?

Last edited:
Ok great, thanks for the info. I've got a good idea of who Otago is in terms of things, and I'll look into them a little more and watch one of their games or something :)

although its not as rigid was it was until last year where the vast majority was picked from within this catchment and only players unwanted by their home franchise could be drafted in. NOW anyone can be contracted directly into a franchise team hence how we have been able to bring in players like Colin Slade and Lima Soponga

I am viewing this year very much like this year was for the highlanders, we just need to improve and build

wasn't it the first time in 35 years darwin?

I stand corrected - it was indeed 35 years...

all decisions can be made by watching these videos...good time....good times ;)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Seaso...oclips-of-Otago-Rugby/218413944866620?sk=wall

ps. whats was that kids name? he should have been an all black, he's good ;)

284415_10150249000044699_148971844698_7228361_7609993_n.jpg

we will also be playing here as of some point during this season which is pretty cool

Last edited:
i liked that scrumhalf score, that was a good one. Makes me definitely start to like Otago a bit.

Latest posts