• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Murray blocked from Lions meet-up

C

Cymro

Northampton Saints have refused to let Scotland international prop Euan Murray join up with the British and Irish Lions at Pennyhill Park on Monday.

The Saints face Bourgoin in the European Challenge Cup final on Friday.

BBC Radio Northampton understands that the Premiership club were never told that their player would be required.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...ton/8055661.stm

If it was only a meeting, that's pretty pathetic. Surely they should recognise that the Lions is such a massive thing, and while it might be a bit of a pain in the arse for preperations for the Challenge Cup final it hardly seems to fair to Murray.

Its like what happens at Six Nations time. Scottish players are released at the last possible minute and that gets me really frustrated but this is just taking the ****!!!
angry_man.png

the world and their mother knew this meeting was taking place how can this have unnoticed at Saints?

I know full well that they (Saints) were training today, because they were in the park outside my front window at 11am today.

And as far as Saints are concerned, their season hangs on this Fridays fixture; The season objective was HEC qualification - They win and they get it. Therefore they'll want all of their players to be fully prepared for that, not distracted by anything else. But no doubt the media picture will be painted that Clubs should self-sacrifice for the sake of test issues.

At the end of the day Saints are Murray's employers, not the SRU or B&I Lions.

that's bullshit then if they were training, doesn't affect Leicester as the little dipshit will be on the bench but we've got 4 likely starters involved in a mickey mouse training session when they won't even be involved in the first game on tour.

I thought it was orginally just a get together which I had no issue with so Saints were perfectly right to keep Murray back, only wish the Leinster lads had conveniently missed their fight now instead of ******* about over in England

Yeah, but I'd say that any form of represenation, whether it be for Scotland or the Lions, is far more important than Northampton Saints. I don't think Northampton did the right thing here, they should have at least released him to go to the meeting, even if not to train, cause at the end of the day Murray is representing Scotland and Northampton on that tour.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edinburgh_gunner @ May 18 2009, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah, but I'd say that any form of represenation, whether it be for Scotland or the Lions, is far more important than Northampton Saints. I don't think Northampton did the right thing here, they should have at least released him to go to the meeting, even if not to train, cause at the end of the day Murray is representing Scotland and Northampton on that tour.[/b]

this week Northampton is more important as is Leicester/Leinster, none of these teams deserve to have their preparations interrupted to this extent for some pointless training session.

Well I can see where you're coming from, it can be harmful for preperation. But seeing as leicster and Leinster can release their players, surley Northampton, with fewer players in a 'lesser' competion could do the same?

According to the bbc it wasn't a training session, just a chance for the sgquad to meet up or something.
So even if it was a bit petty from Nothampton, they do have a valid point.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (edinburgh_gunner @ May 18 2009, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well I can see where you're coming from, it can be harmful for preperation. But seeing as leicster and Leinster can release their players, surley Northampton, with fewer players in a 'lesser' competion could do the same?[/b]

And that's the exact attitude as to why there's a club vs country debate in the first place. So far as Saints are concerned now this season, it's not a "lesser" competition; it's the ONLY competition.

Had Munster done the same thing 4 days before the HEC final, the same people who call a Premiership team in the ECC "petty" would be applauding them for "their focus and determination for success". Hey-ho.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ("Made me chuckle on COYS - Robbie Richmond")</div>
a full day of vickery politicking should see euan relegated to 3rd choice before he's even finished packing...[/b]

Surely the Lions management should contact clubs personally about any possible clash of dates as soon the squad is announced? No point expecting the RFU to do it, the words '****-up' and 'brewery' spring to mind.

Like Mite, I am unsurprisingly on the club's side. A full training session with all our key players just days before THE match of our season is far more important than a bit of admin work. No matter who it's for.

Dont see a big deal really.

Sounds more like a communication f*** up more than a series problem. Just a get together so not a big deal if its missed. Once the majority are there it still serves a purpose.

Latest posts