• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Munster sign Tyler Bleyendaal from Crusaders

Well they have been given that directive from the IRFU apparently. They can only play him at 10 in emergency. We have no 12's and few would of promise would come pre WC so he'll have to convert like a Mormon in Mecca.
Meanwhile we have Keatley at 10 who has been excellent and behind him JJ Habrahan, the most hyped thing to come from Munster since Dairygold soread all over Roy Keane, who like Bleyendaal was nominated as Junior player of the year in 2010.
Although I personally feel Keatley should be given an extended run at 12 the IRFU is happy for Keatley and JJ to battle it out. With two centres leaving we at least need someone to fill the spot.

Oooh, I hate to completely and utterly show you up but JJ was nominated in 2012 along with Serfontein and Adendorff.

Also that's not how you spell Hanrahan. No chance of recovery for you.

Well they have been given that directive from the IRFU apparently. They can only play him at 10 in emergency. We have no 12's and few would of promise would come pre WC so he'll have to convert like a Mormon in Mecca.
Meanwhile we have Keatley at 10 who has been excellent and behind him JJ Habrahan, the most hyped thing to come from Munster since Dairygold soread all over Roy Keane, who like Bleyendaal was nominated as Junior player of the year in 2010.
Although I personally feel Keatley should be given an extended run at 12 the IRFU is happy for Keatley and JJ to battle it out. With two centres leaving we at least need someone to fill the spot.

In that case I apologize to the Munster management for accusing them of being sneaky. It would appear that are just a little stupid....

You have a chance to recover from flatulence BG8, just stay away from the Chili for a while.

That's a given Darwin! Just look at the whole Penney - Axel situation. :p

Yeah man keep saying that while Matt O'Connor is your head coach, that will come across well for you. Lets hope Leinster can make another marque signing like Tuqiri eh?

Yeah man keep saying that while Matt O'Connor is your head coach, that will come across well for you. Lets hope Leinster can make another marque signing like Tuqiri eh?

Axel will make MO'C look like Pep Guardiola I imagine! :D There must have been something going on behind the scenes because it is the height of ignorance to get rid of a great coach in Penney for a minister of Pashun in Axel, it would have been worth not signing Bleyendaal to keep Penney in my opinion.

And this guarantee Foley will take Munster back to the dark ages comes from? I think Penney did a decent job but our backs looked constantly directionless this year with the players initiative and talent alone pulling them through, so the notion that Axel will ruin our wonderful new game plan is nonsense. Meanwhile the pack (Foley's duty) has been brilliant. Foley's not some ignorant simpleton who won't recognise the value of back play, he was a highly intelligent player and it's reflected in our pack as well. A decent backs coach is vital. Im happy to see Penney go if keeping him meant keeping Mannix.
TL;DR: Suck MAH pixie dick.

Lads I don't know what the crap is about BUT he was signed as a 12 and he himself had a desire to play at 12. This crap too of IRFU said he can only play 10 in emergency is nonsense if it's wanted him at 10 and Keatley at 12 there's no law stopping it.
Regards Leinster dig Groundhog MOC getting Douglas and possibly Collins isn't to shabby.

Axel has only ever played conservative rugby and therefore it's highly likely he'll coach it. He's done a grand job with the Munster pack, aiding them significantly in reaching a HEC semi final albeit an easy draw and being the third best side in the Pro12 regular season, but that was his sole focus. Know he's in charge, a lot gets added to his plate it's a much bigger and different challenge. Axel is a good coach and has the potential to be a good head coach but not as good as Penney any time soon. It was a typical Munster 'keep it in the Parish' decision and I think it will backfire hugely on them.

Axel will make MO'C look like Pep Guardiola I imagine! :D There must have been something going on behind the scenes because it is the height of ignorance to get rid of a great coach in Penney for a minister of Pashun in Axel, it would have been worth not signing Bleyendaal to keep Penney in my opinion.

IRFU would only sanction a 1 year deal similar to Anscombe and he got 3 abroad with better money and closer to home.

Axel has only ever played conservative rugby and therefore it's highly likely he'll coach it. He's done a grand job with the Munster pack, aiding them significantly in reaching a HEC semi final albeit an easy draw and being the third best side in the Pro12 regular season, but that was his sole focus. Know he's in charge, a lot gets added to his plate it's a much bigger and different challenge. Axel is a good coach and has the potential to be a good head coach but not as good as Penney any time soon. It was a typical Munster 'keep it in the Parish' decision and I think it will backfire hugely on them.

You've obviously never seen his coaching style.

IRFU would only sanction a 1 year deal similar to Anscombe and he got 3 abroad with better money and closer to home.
Yep. Japan is only a leisurely 11 hour flight from New Zealand. He could probably commute from Christchurch daily. I don't begrudge Rob Penney taking the better, more secure offer by the way.

Any chance Tyler Bleyendaal plays 10 with JJ Hanrahan moving to 12?

Meanwhile you went out of the parish and came back not looking any better in terms of credentials. Once again, what exactly did Penney revolutionise at Munster. Our backs' skills have looked awful, we completely misused Downey and we suffer from an awful case of inconsistency. He's done an excellent job of building a squad but not a game plan. Also Foley has as good credentails as we were likely to get, and your sole objection seems to be that he is a forward in the classic Munster mold. Judging him on playing career is as sensible as getting your willy out at mass. Adapting to being a coach in a vastly different Munster team is something I'm sure Foley has copped. Were there a more qualified applicant I'm sure he would have got the job, but the appointment appears to be one all of the players are happy about, and he's bound the get the best out of them.
And if you disagree with me, I'll happily fight you and your cousins and your uncles at any time.

Meanwhile you went out of the parish and came back not looking any better in terms of credentials. Once again, what exactly did Penney revolutionise at Munster. Our backs' skills have looked awful, we completely misused Downey and we suffer from an awful case of inconsistency. He's done an excellent job of building a squad but not a game plan. Also Foley has as good credentails as we were likely to get, and your sole objection seems to be that he is a forward in the classic Munster mold. Judging him on playing career is as sensible as getting your willy out at mass. Adapting to being a coach in a vastly different Munster team is something I'm sure Foley has copped. Were there a more qualified applicant I'm sure he would have got the job, but the appointment appears to be one all of the players are happy about, and he's bound the get the best out of them.
And if you disagree with me, I'll happily fight you and your cousins and your uncles at any time.
We lost the best coach in rugby (Schmidt out) and had to replace him. We got out of the toughest HEC pool, which we failed to do last year, and topped the pro 12, if we go on to win it we will have had a better season than last year, and that's. With a severly deteriorated side so I honestly don't get why you insist on bringing up MO'C. Munster on the other hand could have kept Penney who has taken them through a transition period exceptionally well in my opinion. If they really wanted him they'd have twisted the IRFU's arm to stop another Nathan Hines situation which backfired. Foley might go on to do a good job, I don't care all that much, but it is a completely unwarranted risk when they had a coach of Penney's calibre. And re: Munster's backline, they have and will continue to have **** all to work with in the three-quarters along with a 10, 2nd best Irish 10 currently, who is a merchant in shoveling **** so little can be expected.

I mention big Matt because squad aside, Leinster have not played nice rugby, and have gone into the trait of grinding it out. That's sudden and it's tactical.
I've already said Penney did a good job in the squad, that was his renown at Canterbury but the idea we will be sacrificing some lovely style of rugby is nonsense. With some significant back talent, bar in the centres which has always been our bane, were still playing stupid headless chicken stuff.
Now this may not be Penney. Mannix was the backs coach, and a key issue with Penney was reportedly that we would have to keep Mannix. Our backs wouldn't develop that way, so as far as Im concerned, business as usual in the pack and some direction in the backs is just what we needed. I wouldn't have minded keeping Penney but what exactly do Munster have to barter with in forcing the IRFU to offer a longer extension?

I mention big Matt because squad aside, Leinster have not played nice rugby, and have gone into the trait of grinding it out. That's sudden and it's tactical.
I've already said Penney did a good job in the squad, that was his renown at Canterbury but the idea we will be sacrificing some lovely style of rugby is nonsense. With some significant back talent, bar in the centres which has always been our bane, were still playing stupid headless chicken stuff.
Now this may not be Penney. Mannix was the backs coach, and a key issue with Penney was reportedly that we would have to keep Mannix. Our backs wouldn't develop that way, so as far as Im concerned, business as usual in the pack and some direction in the backs is just what we needed. I wouldn't have minded keeping Penney but what exactly do Munster have to barter with in forcing the IRFU to offer a longer extension?

The IRFU like to avoid looking like ***** as much as possible and business as usual in the pack is likely not to be maintained with Axel coming under increasing pressure with a lot more roles.

@Snoop I think while 11 hours is long it's still a good deal with regards him working back toward NZ but I meant more towards his son going to attend Busan University in South Korea so before the smart reply maybe think flight isn't to bad ;) and he knew he wasn't going to be kept beyond year.

@Cmac Schmidt is a superb coach BUT he did have the best squad in Europe at their peak. Let's not forget Leinster weren't great in his last season despite winning Rabo and Amlin. But this wasn't down to him more it's the start of transition.

People ask what Penney has brought. Well players have confidence, he brought a more all round style and put a bit of bite back in our forwards. Some of performances in last few weeks were pathetic but a lot of that was due to players not coaching or tactics.

On JJ @12 Tyler @10 I strongly think in Rabo all 3 will play in both spots a lot and a lot of rotation in 10/12/22 shirts will happen. Will also be interesting to see is Hurley still an option at 12 and let's not forget Bohane next year will be a possibility although more so at 13

Last edited:

Latest posts