• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Munster sign Tyler Bleyendaal from Crusaders

Amobokoboko

Waikato Junglist
Country Flag
Belgium
Club or Nation
Chiefs
Munster have announced the signing of Canterbury and Crusaders pivot Tyler Bleyendaal on a three year contract. The 23-year-old will join the Irish province on November 1st.
Bleyendaal has made 19 Super Rugby appearances for the Crusaders and represented Canterbury in the ITM Cup on 39 occasions. A former New Zealand U20s player he captained the side to victory in the 2010 Junior World Championship in Argentina.
Despite the Dutch surname, Bleyendaal was born and raised in Christchurch. He started off playing soccer when he was younger but by the age of eight had switched to rugby.

His Crusaders debut came in 2012 against the Blues and saw him continue the remarkable record of Christchurch Boys' High School old boys, such as Colin Slade,Stephen Brett, Aaron Mauger, Andrew Mehrtens and Dan Carter, who have started at number 10 for the Crusaders. He has scored 112 points in Super rugby for the Crusaders.
Speaking about his move to the province Bleyendaal said, "I am really excited to be heading to a new challenge of playing in a great competition in a new part of the world, for a world renowned team.
"The decision was not an easy one as my time with Canterbury and the Crusaders has been amazing, being involved with quality people every day has made the place special. From the research I have done I am sure that Munster will be very similar, a proud team with a great record."
Munster Rugby CEO Garrett Fitzgerald admitted: "We are very fortunate to recruit the services of a talented young player such as Tyler Bleyendaal. We believe Tyler can play an important role in the future of Munster, and will further strengthen our squad. In his roles at 10 and 12 he has been a key decision maker with an intelligent understanding of the game, and will provide us with an exciting option in midfield."
Bleyendaal, currently involved with the Crusaders, will join the province on completion of his commitments with Canterbury in the ITM Cup.
Name: Tyler Bleyendaal
Position: Out-half/Centre
Height: 1.85m
Weight: 96kg
DOB: 31/05/90
Born: Christchurch

article here

Munster have announced the signing of Canterbury and Crusaders pivot Tyler Bleyendaal on a three year contract. The 23-year-old will join the Irish province on November 1st.
Bleyendaal has made 19 Super Rugby appearances for the Crusaders and represented Canterbury in the ITM Cup on 39 occasions. A former New Zealand U20s player he captained the side to victory in the 2010 Junior World Championship in Argentina.
Despite the Dutch surname, Bleyendaal was born and raised in Christchurch. He started off playing soccer when he was younger but by the age of eight had switched to rugby.

His Crusaders debut came in 2012 against the Blues and saw him continue the remarkable record of Christchurch Boys' High School old boys, such as Colin Slade,Stephen Brett, Aaron Mauger, Andrew Mehrtens and Dan Carter, who have started at number 10 for the Crusaders. He has scored 112 points in Super rugby for the Crusaders.
Speaking about his move to the province Bleyendaal said, "I am really excited to be heading to a new challenge of playing in a great competition in a new part of the world, for a world renowned team.
"The decision was not an easy one as my time with Canterbury and the Crusaders has been amazing, being involved with quality people every day has made the place special. From the research I have done I am sure that Munster will be very similar, a proud team with a great record."
Munster Rugby CEO Garrett Fitzgerald admitted: "We are very fortunate to recruit the services of a talented young player such as Tyler Bleyendaal. We believe Tyler can play an important role in the future of Munster, and will further strengthen our squad. In his roles at 10 and 12 he has been a key decision maker with an intelligent understanding of the game, and will provide us with an exciting option in midfield."
Bleyendaal, currently involved with the Crusaders, will join the province on completion of his commitments with Canterbury in the ITM Cup.
Name: Tyler Bleyendaal
Position: Out-half/Centre
Height: 1.85m
Weight: 96kg
DOB: 31/05/90
Born: Christchurch

article here

... This has slipped under the radar a bit, with all of the talk of Anscombe and Bundee Aki heading offshore ... probably a good move for Bleyendaal though, as he's slipped down the pecking order a bit at the Crusaders ... he's already behind Colin Slade and Tom Taylor, and will be behind Dan Carter when he returns, in terms of selection in the starting lineup.

This is the type of signing we'll see Irish provinces make more often in my opinion. The new landscape in European rugby has seen the money shift to France and England. It'll be very rare from now on for Irish teams to be able to sign a world class player in his peak due to the financial clout of the top French sides in particular. Instead it'll be uncapped players from south of the equator who, more often than not, will be uncapped.

Tyler Bleyendaal seems to have the pedigree at underage level and hopefully he'll fulfill it at Munster. If he's signed as a 12, it indicates Munster want to play a more expansive game.

This is the type of signing we'll see Irish provinces make more often in my opinion. The new landscape in European rugby has seen the money shift to France and England. It'll be very rare from now on for Irish teams to be able to sign a world class player in his peak due to the financial clout of the top French sides in particular. Instead it'll be uncapped players from south of the equator who, more often than not, will be uncapped.

Tyler Bleyendaal seems to have the pedigree at underage level and hopefully he'll fulfill it at Munster. If he's signed as a 12, it indicates Munster want to play a more expansive game.

Agree 100%. I think the way JJ/Keatley excelled in last 20 of games pushed thinking that way too. As said elsewhere to I heard from a reliable Ulster source Leinster Munster and Ulster are in some trouble financially so it will be either players past it in France or guys young fresh and hungry with lots of potential but nothing more. Of course risk is we could get a Jeremy Manning or you get a winner like CJ Stander. It's luck of draw and hopefully we get it right because provinces all seem to have got it wrong more than right

... This has slipped under the radar a bit, with all of the talk of Anscombe and Bundee Aki heading offshore ... probably a good move for Bleyendaal though, as he's slipped down the pecking order a bit at the Crusaders ... he's already behind Colin Slade and Tom Taylor, and will be behind Dan Carter when he returns, in terms of selection in the starting lineup.

He's well back in the pecking order for All Blacks selection too, with Carter, Cruden, Slade, Taylor, Barrett and even Lima Sopoanga all ahead of him.

10. Bleyendaal, 12. Aki, 13. Collins, 15. Payne.
Irelands backline will be looking pretty good in a few years time ;) I suppose it's true what they say: if you can't beat them, poach them......

Last edited:
Lets not even mention the pack with captain Michael Bent and Heenan in the backrow. If our backline ever looks like that I'm going off to support Canada. Then again if our backline did look like that we would be so dicked on.
Fella has the look of a stretchy giraffe. I like him. We must be collecting 2010 Junior Player of the World nominees who play 10/12 in Munster, we have them all now.

Don't forget Schmidt, Plumtree and Feek on the coaching staff. If only they have the foresight to eventually field a team of

1. Bent
2. McCartney
3. White
4. Puny Irishman
5. Luckyto Behere
6. Auva'a
7. Heenan
8. Naoupu
9. Boss
10. Blyendaal
11. Jonah Lomu
12. Aki
13. Collins (provided the guy actually turns up)
14. Speedy Irishman
15. Payne

Stop sending us so many former JABs! We need to ignore the fact that a lot of these are squad players and barely Rabo standard so that we can truely succeed.

It's a good move for Blyendaal. Not a bad player but up against a lot of competition in NZ and well down the list as mentioned.

Pretty mediocre player, don't imagine he will do great things for Munster. I'm shocked there isn't any young guys in Ireland as good as him.

Bit harsh on Bleyendaal there don, he's a young and pretty capable 1st 5/8th without many flaws in his game. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ireland cap him eventually.

Bit harsh on Bleyendaal there don, he's a young and pretty capable 1st 5/8th without many flaws in his game. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ireland cap him eventually.

Im almost certain he will play for Ireland at some stage. Might not be first choice though.

I'm glad someone has taken England's crown as Northern Hemisphere Poacher Supreme. Guess its the only ***le you'll be winning any time soon...oh wait.

Seriously. Bleyendaal is a pretty good player whose been unfortunate to be stuck behind Carter, Taylor and now Slade. As long as yo've got someone else to do the kicking he's a great option. Having seen him play a few times watching the ITM I think he'd probably convert to 12 easily.

Yeah hes a solid player and has some BL being stuck behind 2-3 guys at the Crusaders.

Reality is, he is currently a fringe super player and is most probably going overseas for twice the money he is on now. Their is quite a few players going overseas next year, some are fringe and some are core Super players, the worrying thing for NZ rugby is these guys are now starting to realize that they will never make he AB's and can earn good money overseas.

This will weaken NZ rugby considerably if the player drain increases over the next few years.

I just realized why Munster claimed they are signing Bleyendaal as a 12. As I understand it the IRFU policy states there can only be one NIE player in each position (from Munster, Ulster, and Leinster). Given Gopperth is signed for Leinster as a 10 the NIE 10 spot is filled up, hence Munster can't sign a 10. To get around this they are claiming Bleyendaal is signed as a 12 (despite the fact he has never played there). Very sneaky Munster. Very sneaky indeed.... :)

Nah, he probably will be played at a 12. Which is even more baffling.

I just realized why Munster claimed they are signing Bleyendaal as a 12. As I understand it the IRFU policy states there can only be one NIE player in each position (from Munster, Ulster, and Leinster). Given Gopperth is signed for Leinster as a 10 the NIE 10 spot is filled up, hence Munster can't sign a 10. To get around this they are claiming Bleyendaal is signed as a 12 (despite the fact he has never played there). Very sneaky Munster. Very sneaky indeed.... :)

No sneaky moves he will be a 12 and that rule never took off it seems when you look at TH

Obviously you both know a hell of a lot more about Irish rugby than I do, but I will believe Bleyendaal has been picked as a 12 when I see it. I just struggle to believe a club would be stupid enough to buy a player to play in a position they have never played before.....

Well they have been given that directive from the IRFU apparently. They can only play him at 10 in emergency. We have no 12's and few would of promise would come pre WC so he'll have to convert like a Mormon in Mecca.
Meanwhile we have Keatley at 10 who has been excellent and behind him JJ Habrahan, the most hyped thing to come from Munster since Dairygold soread all over Roy Keane, who like Bleyendaal was nominated as Junior player of the year in 2010.
Although I personally feel Keatley should be given an extended run at 12 the IRFU is happy for Keatley and JJ to battle it out. With two centres leaving we at least need someone to fill the spot.

Latest posts