Cheerleaders from Outer Space?

Dai Perk

Bench Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Scotland
The "DHL Dancers"?

Oh man. The capes, the whole, "We don't really need choreography, right?" approach, the dancers throwing kisses at the cameras?... I seriously had to look it up to see if it was another Marvel tie-in thing, it's like Ming the Merciless or something...

It's like a whole different hemisphere down there, I guess! :)

The "DHL Dancers"?

Oh man. The capes, the whole, "We don't really need choreography, right?" approach, the dancers throwing kisses at the cameras?... I seriously had to look it up to see if it was another Marvel tie-in thing, it's like Ming the Merciless or something...

At the college I went to (San Jose State University in California) the dance squad got so raunchy that one of the girls was grinding on a 80 something year old male alum in the front row at a basketball fame. He complained to the NCAA and the dance squad was suspended until the following year. They were way out of line IMHO.

I know it's a minor thing but I have wondered about this in the past, why are South African cheerleaders so dull?
They never have proper routines, generally just a couple of set moves they do whenever a try is scored.

What's the point of adding extra spectacle to the game if you don't put in any effort (also at the risk of sounding like a misogynist they don't show enough skin :D).

The "DHL Dancers"?

In their first year the Jaguares had cheerleaders who grinded against the Jags mascot while he lay on his back on the ground. It wasn't a good look!

I know it's a minor thing but I have wondered about this in the past, why are South African cheerleaders so dull?
They never have proper routines, generally just a couple of set moves they do whenever a try is scored.

What's the point of adding extra spectacle to the game if you don't put in any effort (also at the risk of sounding like a misogynist they don't show enough skin :D).

Well the Lions cheerleaders were actually the only group whose girls had a proper routine in the past, and the girls all had gymnastics backgrounds.

As for the Bulls babes, man I don't know why they are there anymore. When they started them out in 1999 through to about 2007, the girls were all Tuks students studying dancing and or drama, and they actually had a whole set prepared before the match and during halftime. But then slowly but surely, that faded away, and it seems like they are now just some of the newbies from Teazers in Stormvoël street looking to earn some more money in skimpy clothing.

In the past when I was based in Cape Town, I remember the Cheerleaders doing some routine that was about 10-15 minutes in the middle of the field. I know a few of the Stormers Cheerleaders also worked at the IPL in India and are able to dance. I can't really comment too much on the topic though as I haven't gone to a live Super Rugby game in Cape Town for a while, so don't know if it's still like this.

Latest posts