• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

MMA/UFC thread

Olyy's right. I didnt mean too late for it to happen. I mean too late for it to be interesting. I was thinking of fights that didn't happen or happened too late in combat sports.
GSP vs Silva, Mayweather vs Pacquiao, Fedor v Couture, Khabib vs Ferguson, Ngannou vs Jones, give Aldo a second shot vs Conor, etc. I mean, Conor vs Khabib took AGES to happen.

Or things like Pereira vs Jones at Light Heavyweight. That would be monstrous.

Middleweight: Dricus, Strickland, Adesanya, Khanzat, Bo

Or do Leon vs Rakhmonov at welterweight. Or bring Makhachev up.

The potential, right now, is astronomical.

And we fans keep being fed names like Gaethje, Poirier, Oliveira... no disrespect, but they are all, right now, second tier when compared to the names/fights I'm mentioning above.

This is why i like, no, love Volk. He demolished his division and not only talked the talk, he walked it, taking ridiculous risks in the process. Short notice? no problem. Another category? No problem. Coming from an injury? Sure, I'll deal with it. Concussions? **** that!

And sure, he is not the only case where a guy goes up a category. But... he did so after demolishing, beyond any doubt his former division, as in, he was not running away, AND he went and faced an opponent who is on the run to become the greatest lightweight of all time. And he didn't even blink, and performed brilliantly. No 'let s meet in the middle' or 'i need this or that'. He just went and faced a formidable opponent, outside of his class, and stood his ground. I am looking for comparable examples and i cant find them. The only one i cant think of is BJ Penn (beat all and went up to face GsP), but he kinda ruined it at the end IMO. You need to know when to retire i guess.

Khabib could have done it, maybe, but we'll never know. I am not going to blame Khabib for that, obviously. And sure, Jones beat everyone in Light Heavyweight BUT i look at both divisions and i see a hell of an opponent in light heavyweight and not much competition in heavyweight so the obvious question that comes to mind is, if he is really looking for a legacy, why doesn't he go down again and face Pereira?
I see Volk and i see someone who, on top of being world-class, was/is actively and constantly looking to fight against the best. Not buts, no ifs, no excuses. It is, IMO, incredibly rare and it ****** me off.
End rant/

Will McGregor get knocked out again?
Very possible
Chandler is a ball of fast twitch muscle fibres, very fast and very strong.
Prime McGregor beats him easily but modern McGregor?
Conor coming back from a serious injury and didn't look great in his fights before that, looking like a plodding boxer rather than the karate stance darting around the cage that saw him reach the heights he did

Both fighters the wrong side of 35, and both been on the sidelines multiple years so who knows what level of athleticism they'll show (no USADA will help that though)
Conor doesn't look like he's been training seriously, whereas Chandler is a notorious gym junkie

I could see either of them getting clipped in an early exchange and it being over within a minute or two

Very possible
Chandler is a ball of fast twitch muscle fibres, very fast and very strong.
Prime McGregor beats him easily but modern McGregor?
Conor coming back from a serious injury and didn't look great in his fights before that, looking like a plodding boxer rather than the karate stance darting around the cage that saw him reach the heights he did

Both fighters the wrong side of 35, and both been on the sidelines multiple years so who knows what level of athleticism they'll show (no USADA will help that though)
Conor doesn't look like he's been training seriously, whereas Chandler is a notorious gym junkie

I could see either of them getting clipped in an early exchange and it being over within a minute or two
McGregor just living the life now. Not the hungry lad that was unbeaten. And the thing that made him get to the top, his mouth, will ultimately be his downfall. The body can't cash the cheques that mouth writes these days

I'm not an expert in fighting,but last videos I saw with Conor (recent ones, with his trainings I mean) was super impressive! He's in a good form now, in my opinion. Maybe finally calmed down and decided to continue his career

Latest posts