• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Melbourne Cup Challenge

"With two hundred to go this game has it's nose in front and looks to have grabbed the lead!"

(All said really quick in a nasal voice)

when this game is released, will most of you people buy it on PC for the online gaming? or xbox/PS2 because your computer isnt up to it in the graphics department?

i personally will buy it on PC so i can play you pricks online[/b]
Me too, just hope my PC is up to it, runs demo ok so fingers crossed :)

Righto guys, if this ***le turns out to be an awesome online experience, who's going to come online with me and doubtlessly AK47 to either punt on the nags, or race them down the home straight?

We could even have a TRF League, or something like that. If the facilities allow, we could race or bred and trained horses against each other and have a points table posted up, etc.
[/b]

Right, been flicking through the MCC forum, and got some interesting info, seeing as we are just days away from it's release...

MARIO - <blockquote>The game runs on a peer to peer system. The only "HES" hosted servers are matchmaking servers. For best results, and minimum lag, games should be hosted by players who have significant upload bandwidth, and players should only compete against others who are based in a similar geographical region.</blockquote>

So one player's computer/console will be the host (server) and players will connect to it on the internet via their computers/consoles as Guests. The Host player can then set up all of the competitions and the players compete live in them. The Matchmaking system is excellent too. The Host player just needs to name his game and then let all of the Guest players know what the name is so they can find it and enter. Way to go guys!

MARIO - <blockquote>Its probably worth saying the matchmaking and hosting capabilities are very basic. Don't expect a lot of functionality. To my knowledge you can't bypass the matchmaking service. Yes, the Xbox version has the 'standard' Xbox Live support.</blockquote>

Can you set up a standard Lan game or do you have to always go via the Internet?
Interested to know as there are a few of us at work that are keen to set up a few races on the work computers one weekend.

ALAN - <blockquote>It requires access to the internet, in order to register games with the matchmaking service. However once a game is registered, you should be able to connect to it and then all traffic will be across your local network (this is how a lot of the early testing was done in house, with no problems).</blockquote>[/b]

Good news in some ways really, but unless the host has significant bandwidth, it could mean local (same country) only unfortuantely.

More info for those who are interested, apologies if it's old...

PC System Requirements

Minimum System requirements
PIII 500MHz
128MB RAM
32MB 3D DirectX 8.1a compatible accelerated video card
16 Bit DirectX 8.1a compatible Sound Card
1.8Gb of Hard Drive Space
Windows 98SE, 2000*, XP*
CDROM drive
*With latest service pack
Recommended System requirements
P4 1.3GHz
256MB RAM
64MB 3D DirectX 8.1a compatible Texture
& Lighting video card
Windows 98SE, 2000*, XP*
24x CDROM drive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQs & Support

Frequently Asked Questions

Why does the game have two ***les?
This game is sold under two different names.
In Australasia it is sold as "Melbourne Cup Challenge"
In Europe it is sold as "Frankie Dettori Racing"

When you first run the game, it will check your system clock settings.
If you are detected as living in Australasia the game will default to "Melbourne Cup Challenge". If you are detected as living in Europe the game will default to "Frankie Dettori Racing"

You can change the "region" of the game when creating a new profile.

What's the difference between Melbourne Cup Challenge and Frankie Dettori Racing.
Apart from the name of the game, the difference are:
- The default currency in Frankie Dettori Racing is GBP
- The default currency in Melbourne Cup Challenge is AUD
- European seasons start on 1st January
- Australasian seasons start on 1st August
- The initially unlocked tracks are different.

Should I upgrade my video or sound drivers?
Some performance problems may be associated with the video or sound card driver being out of date or incompatible. Up to date drivers are available from the card manufacturers' Web sites.

The Web site address for driver updates should have been provided with your card or PC documentation.

Do you have any DirectX information?
For help with DirectX go to http://www.microsoft.com/DirectX

Should I close down all programs running in the background?Programs that run in the background can cause problems when starting or running the game. If you are having problems, try closing all other applications before starting the game.

How do I adjust the game options in the game?
Some PCs may benefit from altering the graphic options in the game.

To improve the performance of the game, try the following adjustments:
· Reduce the screen resolution to 640X480 in the Graphic Setting
menu
· Reduce the Detail to Low.
· Changing the bit depth to 16 bit.
· Ensure motion blur is off.

If the game is still running slowly check that the resolution in the game is suitable for your video card

Why is online play stuttering / lagging?
The game requires a broadband internet connection for optimal performance, with a MINIMUM of 128Kbps downstream and upstream to join an online game. To host a game you must have a minimum of 128Kbps downstream and a minimum of 64Kbps PER PLAYER. For example, to host an 8 player game you will need 512Kbps upstream.

Ideally your connection will have a round-trip (ping) time of 150ms or less and not suffer from any packet loss.

The game will not operate correctly online over dial-up, ISDN, wireless or satellite-based internet connections.

Why can't I host online games? It says I have a firewall?
The game needs to have free communication on UDP port 21512 in order to host or join a multiplayer session online. If you have any firewall software installed (such as Windows XP firewall, Tiny Personal Firewall, Norton Internet Security, etc) or if your computer is not directly connected to the internet, you may need to perform additional steps (such as "pinholing" or "port forwarding") before you can host online multiplayer games.

Why can't I play online games at the same time as someone else on my network?
The game needs to talk exclusively on UDP port 21512 in order to play a multiplayer session online. If someone else on your network is already playing an online session, you will be unable to do so until their session is finished.

Why can't I play online? It can't connect to the server?
The game needs to talk to the matchmaking server on port 80 (TCP) - the same port used by your web browser to surf the internet (HTTP). If it is unable to do this, it will report an error.

Is it possible to play a LAN game, NOT over the internet?
No. All online games of "Frankie Dettori Racing / Melbourne Cup Challenge" need to contact the "Frankie Dettori Racing / Melbourne Cup Challenge" matchmaking server, which is hosted on the internet. This means that your PC must be connected to the internet in order to host or join online games.

Can I play against PS2 or Xbox Frankie Dettori Racing / Melbourne Cup Challenge Players?
No - PC users play against other PC users only.[/b]

And just read Australians have their copies already the pricks :p

More info for those who are interested, apologies if it's old...

PC System Requirements

Minimum System requirements
PIII 500MHz
128MB RAM
32MB 3D DirectX 8.1a compatible accelerated video card
Windows 98SE, 2000*, XP*
CDROM drive
Recommended System requirements
P4 1.3GHz
256MB RAM
64MB 3D DirectX 8.1a compatible Texture
& Lighting video card
Windows 98SE, 2000*, XP*
24x CDROM drive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQs & Support

Frequently Asked Questions

Why does the game have two ***les?
This game is sold under two different names.
In Australasia it is sold as "Melbourne Cup Challenge"
In Europe it is sold as "Frankie Dettori Racing"

When you first run the game, it will check your system clock settings.
If you are detected as living in Australasia the game will default to "Melbourne Cup Challenge". If you are detected as living in Europe the game will default to "Frankie Dettori Racing"

You can change the "region" of the game when creating a new profile.

What's the difference between Melbourne Cup Challenge and Frankie Dettori Racing.
Apart from the name of the game, the difference are:
- The default currency in Frankie Dettori Racing is GBP
- The default currency in Melbourne Cup Challenge is AUD
- European seasons start on 1st January
- Australasian seasons start on 1st August
- The initially unlocked tracks are different.

Should I upgrade my video or sound drivers?
Some performance problems may be associated with the video or sound card driver being out of date or incompatible. Up to date drivers are available from the card manufacturers' Web sites.

The Web site address for driver updates should have been provided with your card or PC documentation.

Do you have any DirectX information?
For help with DirectX go to http://www.microsoft.com/DirectX

Should I close down all programs running in the background?Programs that run in the background can cause problems when starting or running the game. If you are having problems, try closing all other applications before starting the game.

How do I adjust the game options in the game?
Some PCs may benefit from altering the graphic options in the game.

To improve the performance of the game, try the following adjustments:
· Reduce the screen resolution to 640X480 in the Graphic Setting
menu
· Reduce the Detail to Low.
· Changing the bit depth to 16 bit.
· Ensure motion blur is off.

If the game is still running slowly check that the resolution in the game is suitable for your video card

Why is online play stuttering / lagging?
The game requires a broadband internet connection for optimal performance, with a MINIMUM of 128Kbps downstream and upstream to join an online game. To host a game you must have a minimum of 128Kbps downstream and a minimum of 64Kbps PER PLAYER. For example, to host an 8 player game you will need 512Kbps upstream.

Ideally your connection will have a round-trip (ping) time of 150ms or less and not suffer from any packet loss.

The game will not operate correctly online over dial-up, ISDN, wireless or satellite-based internet connections.

Why can't I host online games? It says I have a firewall?
The game needs to have free communication on UDP port 21512 in order to host or join a multiplayer session online. If you have any firewall software installed (such as Windows XP firewall, Tiny Personal Firewall, Norton Internet Security, etc) or if your computer is not directly connected to the internet, you may need to perform additional steps (such as "pinholing" or "port forwarding") before you can host online multiplayer games.

Why can't I play online games at the same time as someone else on my network?
The game needs to talk exclusively on UDP port 21512 in order to play a multiplayer session online. If someone else on your network is already playing an online session, you will be unable to do so until their session is finished.

Why can't I play online? It can't connect to the server?
The game needs to talk to the matchmaking server on port 80 (TCP) - the same port used by your web browser to surf the internet (HTTP). If it is unable to do this, it will report an error.

Is it possible to play a LAN game, NOT over the internet?
No. All online games of "Frankie Dettori Racing / Melbourne Cup Challenge" need to contact the "Frankie Dettori Racing / Melbourne Cup Challenge" matchmaking server, which is hosted on the internet. This means that your PC must be connected to the internet in order to host or join online games.

Can I play against PS2 or Xbox Frankie Dettori Racing / Melbourne Cup Challenge Players?
No - PC users play against other PC users only.[/b]

And just read Australians have their copies already the pricks :p
[/b]

:wall: :wall:

not this aussie

i am stuck in newcastle with no ps2 and no game

sometimes my eb store should be blown up......i still havent received a call,not that it matters,but i am glad i am up here and not sydney, whilst my eb shove remotes up their anals all night long

Never thought I'd say this, but I can't wait to be alone with my horse when this comes out!

It's awesome! I'm thinking about posting a review on the main thread as soon as I've played it some more.

Have you raced online or just single player? Am buying golf clubs today so will have to get my copy of MCC during the week...

Lol just a cheap social set of golf clubs (in a bag) :p

How's that review coming along?

It's a game that it would be easy to give the wrong viewpoint or score on without playing it for some more time yet. So far, as a non-horseracing fan, I'm really enjoying it. Now it's all done to whether I get bored with it or not.

Anyhow, finally ordered my own copy from gameplanet, due Friday. (On Xbox). No more renting!

ill be buying my copy on wednesday after i get vouchers after i go somewhere for something. you may find out in time, but it will be a long itme away :D i will say something if they will let me say something.

i am feeling criptic for 615am :)

I'm really enjoying MCC. The one thing that I hate is when I time a run fairly well, only to get run down in the home straight. Leaves me feeling like a Jackass!

I'm getting PC version to complement my Xbox version in a week or so.

ill be buying my copy on wednesday after i get vouchers after i go somewhere for something. you may find out in time, but it will be a long itme away :D i will say something if they will let me say something.

i am feeling criptic for 615am :)
[/b]

I reckon it might be *****a ***** game maybe *******.

lol I knew it XD.

anyway I might have to get this as it seems to be living up to the hype and promise shown in the demo

Any of you jokers got any dosh on the real cup tomorrow??

If so who are you tipping?

Well, Mono and I just had a few races online - very enjoyable indeed :D

I had 2 wins where Mono was 2nd - by 0.05 and 0.04 seconds winning margins...

Latest posts