• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Major League Rugby

What I want more than anything is a consistent schedule.

I haven't watched nfl (other than eagles super bowl) In years but I can guess when 90% of eagles games are. Fans shouldn't have to look up when a team is playing. It should be an anomaly for kick off to be at a different time.

I don't know the best way to do it but Saturday afternoon needs to be avoided like the plague since that's when club games are played.

If teams want to get more traction in their local areas, don't be like RUNY. They haven't tweeted since going 22-17 ahead yesterday. The term half assing it comes to mind. It's no wonder they get poor crowds when they can't keep fans informed.

I'm no expert in the US sports market but assume it would be good to have teams in Vancouver (2nd Canadian team, ready made rivalry with Seattle), Philly (as others have mentioned), Chicago (due to successes of internationals there), San Francisco (hosted Sevens World Cup) or Vegas (great climate, hosts USA Sevens).

Last year before they even played a match as an MLR team, RUNY tweeted that they could beat a team of MLR All Stars anytime, anyplace. Oh, the arrogance. :rolleyes:

The championship game is on now. Live on CBS in the US and facebook elsewhere. Appears to be a full house and as it's on CBS, production values of the broadcast are excellent.

i have to say this is my favorite combination of colors for uniforms so i'm pretty happy.

i think going with an experienced announcer who doesn't know much about rugby was a good choice. it will sound better to someone new to rugby than a knowledgable announcer who is a bit rough around the edges.

Seattle won 26-23 and repeat as MLR champions. The Seawolves came up big at the end and earn another shield. Hopefully we'll (Legion fan here) win it next year.

Nnafd3o72Rnpl5JCXIU-oxvhgJLEK7CCG0gd4AoOPsE.jpg

Last edited:
Seawolves win it with a converted try at the death.

Legion's mistake was to cede field position 2 minutes from the end by kicking a drop goal.

EDIT - that may be the ugliest trophy in all sports!

Seawolves win it with a converted try at the death.

Legion's mistake was to cede field position 2 minutes from the end by kicking a drop goal.

EDIT - that may be the ugliest trophy in all sports!

Yes, it is ugly. The announcer said they cut the weight down from 80 pounds last year to 20 this time. They should incorporate the shield into a traditional style trophy.

64220296_766946807041612_7573216108191154176_n.jpg

Last edited:
My friend Stephania took this picture at the MLR Championship match today.

dSDQVvNtKLbpcr7immaQmpvSKCN-NLmWnGwDdTDIXMhwnjdVYzl9uuWqcmCqhPaifRJ3FPa8z-lOm-itoWPgp6Dddt__oV_tq1DmDwChcruTbvPlGX_dgZifzYO4Lupz_ME6xOqtziRL-U5HIIG3EAvOhCNR6hKd1EzBPEkLy0_LP-Efkaz1ARJNtJAM7ur2k0cCTT7WXC_HvmNm00yFapSVWEsdsNvmP2QYw61GylCVKxX-0uimRjv_Pdee-3MJMq6ADCGPD_FffiHYunWnnULv2DO72ONpUxJKSKacOHM8hJCMpxMjOXLS6iVrRygDHh_SG6bj1X97prkUFxiiqLfuUFSJ2nU4HgVRO9PXZV4oKvamgY2ZkOJtHvj416ZFF1Pe266pIICAqV0Rh11FloFrqT9RJ-1y_QXG9vt-Xz9fwn9iD9haQco7hizK-YIR_xrXU8J63rF1Ta1pq7cOH_J2zjgufxf0BigVOGQWjX0q1AmpsFLtuGPACPGVvHcoL4LiRUowpuDaamiF_t7eqOl1Cu1-zKoFA2UGql3Ey1MElp-cERDlbPNIg0IrEC7OVNje2ZeEE7x-ILGiJrVFNXYSRAv0QmDddiy8EcAzQTMSEdsCFuMEut8Pcj_oMowBxmclA-1jranqrdKu3OOSe-IPkF0l8Mmr=w887-h665-no

https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/...in-talks-to-stage-official-mlr-game-overseas/

You can't fault the ambition of James Kennedy in trying to grow the brand but I doubt there's a market for RUNY games in Europe. The most likely destinations would be Ireland due to the owners nationality and (limited) coverage they get here or France due to French investment in the team and the Mathieu Bastareaud factor.

There are over 20m people in the New York metro area versus 6.5m people on the island of Ireland so it makes more commercial sense going after the dollars on their doorstep. As for France, why would people there care when they have the Top 14 played at a far higher standard? Same applies for all the major European leagues really.

What level is MLR? If say the bottom prem team played the top MLR team would it be close. And if not what would a comparable level be?

I don't have an english comparison but I'd say it's slightly below the best amateur rugby in South Africa. It's probably just below the Championship in England.

What level is MLR? If say the bottom prem team played the top MLR team would it be close. And if not what would a comparable level be?
Poor.

Scotland u20s battered an MLR side 70 - 7 as a warm up game for the junior world cup.

Very poor.

Scotland u20s (I think?) battered an MLR side as a warm up game for the junior world cup

that was an MLR side that begins next year and was made up of local club guys. None of them had been a full time high performance environment prior to that game and I do not believe they were full time during the exhibition series. That team should look completely different next year or they are in a lot of trouble.

Poor.

Scotland u20s battered an MLR side 70 - 7 as a warm up game for the junior world cup.
Wow, but if @themole25 is right then that doesnt count. Now i watched USA vs Canada and they beat them convincingly yet still never looked a threatening team to worry about even if we put out a second team.

It's the only example we have though - as far as I'm aware there haven't been any other MLR vs other country's club games.

Latest posts