• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Major League Rugby

It's the only example we have though - as far as I'm aware there haven't been any other MLR vs other country's club games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cara_Cup

There was the Cara Cup where the New England Free Jack's played each provinces 'A' team. It didn't go great for them and I know at least the Leinster team was massively weakened as it was during exam season and the business end of the AIL.

I see they did beat Lansdowne an AIL 1A side in June but not sure how much can be read into a result at that time of year.

In fairness I think the Free Jack's aren't a fully fledged team yet.

One of them 2 vs the same Scotland U20 side, how different wouldn't scoreline be?

It's hard to say but the quality of these teams are much better than you may expect. Jeff Hassler and Samu Manoa playing for Seattle (were playing in Europe up until recently) and Steffon Armitage and Dominic Day playing for San Diego (again both players were playing at a high level in Europe until recently).

It's the only example we have though - as far as I'm aware there haven't been any other MLR vs other country's club games.

You're right but this is a team that hasn't finalised it's team and it's barely confirmed any players. I didn't watch the game but other MLR fans were commenting saying what a low level Old Glory were playing at in comparison to the rest of the teams in the MLR. An irrelevant result in my opinion and one that doesn't matter in the slightest, nor does it show the strength of MLR.

More teams are in the works for Major League Rugby. Dallas is a go for 2021 and Los Angeles and Columbus (Ohio) are in the works. And there are currently negotiations in play to add teams in Vancouver, Las Vegas and Halifax as well. The future of MLR is looking good. :cool:

Last edited:
https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/rugby-united-new-york-in-talks-to-build-stadium-in-staten-island/

Major League Rugby franchise Rugby United New York (RUNY) is looking to build a permanent rugby-specific stadium in Staten Island, team majority owner James Kennedy has told SportBusiness.

RUNY is in conversations with the New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYEDC) – the city's primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs – about the project.

Also noted is that RUNY will play home games in Buffalo, New Jersey and various sites around New York city next season along with a triple header in Sam Boyd Stadium in Vegas.

Also noted is that RUNY will play home games in Buffalo, New Jersey and various sites around New York city next season along with a triple header in Sam Boyd Stadium in Vegas.

That tripleheader in Vegas is a four hour drive from my house. I think I'll check it out. :cool: Thanks!

Some big signings in MLR for the upcoming season. Ma'a Nonu and Digby Ioane have been announced in the last day or so as joining San Diego and Glendale respectively.

Good few AIL lads moving over now. Read in a Cork paper the other day that John Poland, Thomás Quinlan and Jason Higgins are headed over. I'd imagine there's plenty more. Great opportunity for lads who were on the fringe of pro rugby here.

Some big signings in MLR for the upcoming season. Ma'a Nonu and Digby Ioane have been announced in the last day or so as joining San Diego and Glendale respectively.

Yes, were very excited here in San Diego.

And kudos to you on 13 years of using this board.

Last edited:
Nonu may be getting on in years but I was impressed by him this season. I actually thought he was in with a shout in the AB squad given his proven experience and they fact they haven't been excelling at centre. I expect he will make a splash in the MLR.

I saw this on the MLR message board on Reddit, in regards to the Utah Warriors.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
San Diego Legion ownership group buys out majority stake of Utah Warriors
renderTimingPixel.png

Spoke with a number of team management, as well as rumoured head coach Ben Nichols, who met with ownership from San Diego Legion. Nichols is out, new ownership reportedly bringing in Former Wallaby and current assistant coach for Samoa, Chris Latham to be head coach. Would explain the green and gold motif of recent "Reloaded" social media. https://twitter.com/i/status/1187738200577581057

Last edited:
I saw this on the MLR message board on Reddit, in regards to the Utah Warriors.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
San Diego Legion ownership group buys out majority stake of Utah Warriors
renderTimingPixel.png

Spoke with a number of team management, as well as rumoured head coach Ben Nichols, who met with ownership from San Diego Legion. Nichols is out, new ownership reportedly bringing in Former Wallaby and current assistant coach for Samoa, Chris Latham to be head coach. Would explain the green and gold motif of recent "Reloaded" social media. https://twitter.com/i/status/1187738200577581057
Would also fit in with the Jazz colours navy, green and gold

Today, Major League Rugby announced the appointment of George Killebrew, the former Executive Vice President and Chief Revenue Officer of the NBA's Dallas Mavericks, as Major League Rugby's new League Commissioner.⁣

Killebrew's lengthy resume and passion for sports set him apart in the search for the new League Commissioner. His 20+ years of experience from the NBA will be vital in growing the MLR. Killebrew has hit the ground running with the goal of cementing MLR in the North American sports market.⁣

79113619_2591671987595322_4506617713774297088_n.jpg

Latest posts