• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Magic ball to replace referee!

Mumbles119

Bench Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
London Wasps
Well not magic, and not really replacing the ref. But a ball that can accurately and quickly be measured to be touching the ground under a pile of players, or accurately show it trajectory for forward passes... Could this be an answer to speeding up TMO decisions?

http://www.espn.co.uk/scrum/rugby/story/232995.html

If they can get it to be accurate to within a couple of inches then it could have several uses.

- Kicks at goal: a bracelet with vibration and a small screen could tell the ref instantly whether it's gone through the posts or not. There isn't an issue here currently - but it may allow for slight decreases in down time.

- Forward passes: Unless it is accurate to a very high degree then people will have issues trusting very tight calls (where the pass is practically flat) - but it could potentially shorten the time it takes for decisions to be made on the more egregious passes that the referee is unsure of, as it will remove camera perspective from the judgement.

If they can get it to be accurate to within a couple of inches then it could have several uses.

- Kicks at goal: a bracelet with vibration and a small screen could tell the ref instantly whether it's gone through the posts or not. There isn't an issue here currently - but it may allow for slight decreases in down time.

- Forward passes: Unless it is accurate to a very high degree then people will have issues trusting very tight calls (where the pass is practically flat) - but it could potentially shorten the time it takes for decisions to be made on the more egregious passes that the referee is unsure of, as it will remove camera perspective from the judgement.

This is pretty much correct, it has to be accurate within the smallest margins of error, otherwise flat passes and margin calls on the line can't and won't be trusted.

It would be great for gathering statistics on passes and kicking accuracy, but we would still need lines men and the TMO, due to the fact that the ball cannot register where a players foot may fall, but only where the ball finds itself in play. However, I like the idea of being able to gauge the pressure on the ball, it would make decisions regarding grounding and control much more accurate.

Overall I really like the use of technology in sport (Rugby) and I think that this would definitely have a place in the game. If it works :p

Last edited:
I definitely think it will add to the game, if like people have said it's accurate but I can't see it making significant differences in speeding up play etc. I do however think it will be a good tool to help assist refs

Well not magic, and not really replacing the ref. But a ball that can accurately and quickly be measured to be touching the ground under a pile of players, or accurately show it trajectory for forward passes... Could this be an answer to speeding up TMO decisions?

http://www.espn.co.uk/scrum/rugby/story/232995.html

Will never work for forward passes, since the trajectory of the ball over the ground is not considered, only the direction if the pass out of the hands of the passer, and relative to the passer, not the ground, i.e. the ball can travel forwards over the ground and not be a forward pass.

I see little value in this as it cannot tell if the ball is grounded, only its position to 2D space (American Football does not require grounding of the ball to score a touchdown, only that the ball breaks the plane of the goal-line)

Will never work for forward passes, since the trajectory of the ball over the ground is not considered, only the direction if the pass out of the hands of the passer, and relative to the passer, not the ground, i.e. the ball can travel forwards over the ground and not be a forward pass.

"Backwards" is inherently relative to the ground.

This should very easily be able to tell if the ball is traveling forward through momentum, or whether it was projected forward.

"Backwards" is inherently relative to the ground.

This should very easily be able to tell if the ball is traveling forward through momentum, or whether it was projected forward.

Of course, some reference to the ground will be required in order to detemine the momentum in 3D space, but simply saying that the ball was at "a" when it was thrown, and at "b" when it was caught, and since "b" is closer to the opponent's dead-ball-line than "a" it must have been forward, will not work, because that is not necessarily a forward throw.

What would have to be used is a continuous assessment of the velocity vector of the ball (the vector being "from dead-ball-line to dead ball line and parallel to the touchlines" and then look for changes in the velcoty vector. e.g.

the ball is travelling at v = 7.5m/s. When the ball is thrown (the change in velocity vector is Δv).....

1. if Δv = 0 (v remained at 7.5m/s, the throw was "flat"
2. if Δv = say, -1.2m/s (v dropped to 6.3 m/s, the throw was backwards
3. if Δv = say +1.2m/s (v increased to 8.7m/s, the throw was forwards.

Remember that when a player is carrying the ball, he is not keeping it in one fixed place relative to his body. The ball will have small velocity vector changes just from the ball carrier running with the ball (ball under his arms or in one or both hands). Preparing to pass or dummying a pass will have similar effects on the velocity vector. Determining the velocity/momentum of an object in 3D space under such conditions is NOT a trivial task.

I read the ***le as 'magic 8 ball to replace referee', where instead of waiting 10 mins for the TMO to finish eating a bacon sarnie, they could just shake it and get 'try', 'no try', 'the future doesnt look good', 'ask again in the morning' etc....

I read the ***le as 'magic 8 ball to replace referee', where instead of waiting 10 mins for the TMO to finish eating a bacon sarnie, they could just shake it and get 'try', 'no try', 'the future doesnt look good', 'ask again in the morning' etc....

That's what I thought at first, too!

Actually, come to think of it, I'm guessing a magic 8 ball would probably be a tad more accurate than some of the TMOs lately.

das

Latest posts